Surrey Reserve 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

CC398
Topic Assistant

Re: Surrey Reserve 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion

Post by CC398 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:14 pm

1306:10 We had a scuffle on the Nest! I could only catch it on the North Cam as the Southcam is not working

Whomever is in the nest now landed with prey, with one Eagle landing right after them and stole half of the prey and left. wow

crummy timing :w00t:

Might be Res in the Nest.. let's see
Attachments
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:25 pm

1323 - It's Res. Cowlick confirmed. She was very hungry of course. I need to rewatch to see if it was the New Male who arrived with the food first and Res took it or if the New Male chased her to the nest and stole half her food. Interesting if the New Male would harass and take food from Res? Not likely?

Side note, her talons, besides needing some moisturizer, look ok
Attachments
12.JPG
15.JPG
14.JPG
Last edited by CC398 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:27 pm

Beautiful hungry Res. Keeping a good watch in between bites.
Attachments
17.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:32 pm

CC - will you please use the North cam to zoom in on the South cam? I'd like to see if anything looks wrong there before it gets darker.

Or let me know when you're off the cam so I can look.

Thanks!

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:35 pm

1330 - Res finished up her meal and promptly flew. No digging, nestorations or nest fittings, just eat and go. Poor Res.

Initially, when my obsession first started in Spring 2020, I believed that Bald Eagles mated for life.. then I sort of changed my mind when Sur disappeared and Res wasn't killing off the New Male. Her behavior has changed my mind again. If Res actually had a choice, Sur would be there beside her, not the New Male. Sur was her choice. Nature is cruel and confusing for us.

Anyhow, here is a lovely view of the sun we British Columbians could really use right now. I hope our Eagles have a chance to dry off before the new storm arrives tomorrow.
Attachments
20.JPG

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:36 pm

JudyB wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:32 pm
CC - will you please use the North cam to zoom in on the South cam? I'd like to see if anything looks wrong there before it gets darker.

Thanks!
Hi Judy! I"m off the cams, please jump on. I'm embarrassed to admit that I get a little disoriented on the cams and probably would miss the target.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:40 pm

CC398 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:36 pm
JudyB wrote:

Thanks!
Hi Judy! I"m off the cams, please jump on. I'm embarrassed to admit that I get a little disoriented on the cams and probably would miss the target.
Thanks - logging in on North

Added -
I'm out again. I don't see any obvious physical damage, which is a good thing. The image isn't great because the sun is off to the side so it's in shadow.
20211129_001.jpg
I'm sending a message to Ken.

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:46 pm

JudyB wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:40 pm
CC398 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:36 pm
JudyB wrote:

Thanks!
Thanks - logging in on North

Added -
I'm out again. I don't see any obvious physical damage, which is a good thing. The image isn't great because the sun is off to the side so it's in shadow.

20211129_001.jpg

I'm sending a message to Ken.
Thank you Judy!

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:54 pm

UPDATE on the 13:06:10 arrival

Yes, Res did indeed arrive first, but she followed that New Male in, HE had the prey and as she was trying to take it from him, he stood on it, and then they had a tug of war. He had a full fish already today!? but he took his portion anyhow. wow

My scaps are not great. Two Bald Eagles fighting over food make for blurry footage. A video would be awesome tho!

That's the second food offering by that New Male just since this morning.

I gotta get back to work and won't be watching the streams until later. Bye for now
Attachments
21.JPG
22.JPG

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:50 pm

2:49 pm
South cam is back - Thank you, Ken!

20211129_002.jpg

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:35 pm

Thanks you Judy and all

I have a question ...... I believe eagles mate for life.... but if something happens to one of them ......it is not uncommon for the other to take a new mate .... is that right ?
I watch the Pittsburgh Hays eagles and they Have been together since 2013
Thank You
Bev
ETA
I think Sur is injured and taking time to heal .. :luck: he will show up and He and Res will get on with their lives . wishful thinking on my part.. but anything is possible :)

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:17 pm

CC398 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:54 pm
UPDATE on the 13:06:10 arrival

Yes, Res did indeed arrive first, but she followed that New Male in, HE had the prey and as she was trying to take it from him, he stood on it, and then they had a tug of war. He had a full fish already today!? but he took his portion anyhow. wow

My scaps are not great. Two Bald Eagles fighting over food make for blurry footage. A video would be awesome tho!

That's the second food offering by that New Male just since this morning.

I gotta get back to work and won't be watching the streams until later. Bye for now
Interesting! Thanks for the timestamp - it's dinner time here but I'll try to get back and do a video later this evening unless gemini is able to get to it first.

Jkitty12

Post by Jkitty12 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:28 pm

Eagle on the nest at 16:21. I don't see the cowlick so I don't think it's Res. But it is now on her perch!

16:29 another eagle flew in. I think this may be Res?? The other eagle came down and they are battling a bit for stick placement. WOW this is so amazing to watch I wish it was Sur!!

Res flies off at 16:32. They actually seemed quite comfortable together.
Last edited by Jkitty12 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:34 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:35 pm
Thanks you Judy and all

I have a question ...... I believe eagles mate for life.... but if something happens to one of them ......it is not uncommon for the other to take a new mate .... is that right ?
I watch the Pittsburgh Hays eagles and they Have been together since 2013
Thank You
Bev
ETA
I think Sur is injured and taking time to heal .. :luck: he will show up and He and Res will get on with their lives . wishful thinking on my part.. but anything is possible :)
Good question, Bev. What I've read from some folks who have studied this more than I have is that the eagles are more bonded to their nest than to each other. Long-time pairs like those at Pittsburgh Hays (and like Sur and Res, though we don't know when they first became a pair) - they know each other's rhythms and generally work well together, and while I'm not sure if they are fond of each other in the way people can be, I'm convinced that they are more comfortable (or something - not sure what the word should be) with an established partner than with a new mate, no matter how eligible that mate is.

Like you, I know of several nests where one of the eagles was injured and disappeared for a while (either healing on his/her own or in rehab) and then came back to try to reclaim the nest - and I remember several times when that didn't work out so well for the adult who had been injured, though I expect sometimes it works.

At this point, I'm torn - I'd love to see Sur and Res back together, but I'm getting interested in this new male, and I don't want to see them fight again, knowing it may be a fight to the death for one of them.

Back in a while.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:37 pm

Jkitty12 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:28 pm
Eagle on the nest at 16:21. I don't see the cowlick so I don't think it's Res. But it is now on her perch!

16:29 another eagle flew in. I think this may be Res?? The other eagle came down and they are battling a bit for stick placement. WOW this is so amazing to watch I wish it was Sur!!
I'm pretty sure the first eagle was the intruder/new male, Jkitty - I saw him before the cam went to grayscale. I suspect the other one was Res, though I was busy doing something else and didn't actually see her cowlick. It is always interesting to see the "discussions" that eagles have over the best location for each stick - sometimes I'm surprised the nest ever gets built! :)

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”