Surrey Reserve 2020-2021 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Surrey Reserve 2020-2021 Observation and Discussion

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:59 pm

2:48 pm
I think Sur is preening - and initially thought Res, down lower, was also preening, but she hasn't moved for a minute or two, so I think she may have her head tucked in for a nap.
20210722_022.jpg

I just hopped on the South cam quickly to make a preset called Two_Adults_Nearby so we can check here quickly - the Adult_Nearby preset is focused on the location where Res is.

And an off-season project for our zoomer team is going to be looking at the presets and seeing which seem useful, and maybe putting them in some sort of logical order, at least for a while - though I do tend to add new presets quite freely when we're trying to keep track of everyone.

I am busy with another project, but am trying to keep an eye on them - and the empty nest.

Added -
I just went back to the switch between Sur and Res on the nest that CC caught - and Dad Sur isn't quite the gentleman I made him out to be - I think he took fish head with him when he left in a hurry as Mom Res dropped down from the branches overhead. :mihihi:

:vid: Take the Fish and Run! (2:30)

It looks as if Res found some leftover bones and worked on those briefly, and may have taken the bit of carcass with her when she left - not a good angle to see, and as CC pointed out, there's quite a bit of junk on the nest!

Jumping back to the present, I'm thinking Sur does have a bit of a crop bump - I think he enjoyed his fish!
20210722_023.jpg

3:26 pm - both still there.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:08 pm

5:01 pm Both still in the tree! I wonder if there has been an intruder in the area and they are letting it know they own this nest!

Mom having another snooze and it looks like Dad has his eyes closed!
2021-7-22  5-03  pm.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:09 pm

5:06 pm
They are both still there.
20210722_024.jpg

5:46 pm
No change.

Good night, everyone! Tiku and Tucca - I hope you're having a wonderful time exploring, and finding lots of fish! :love:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:04 pm

Whovian wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:49 am
I believe I hear one of the eaglets screeping at 10:46.
Sorry to be so late replying, Whovian - it's been a busy day. I listened to both cams around 10:46 am and did hear a high pitched call, but it didn't sound to me like an eaglet/fledgling call (though I don't have a clue what bird made it). What I heard was a number of single calls, rather than 3-6 in a row, and the tone seemed different than what I was used to hearing from Tucca and Tiku.

I really don't think either of our fledglings are in the area - but there are other nests not that far away, so if you were in the area and heard something live and in person rather than on the cams - it might have been one of our fledglings or one from a neighboring territory - but I think if either of ours had been nearby, they would have shown up to "help" Sur with his fish.

Thank you for mentioning it - and please continue to let us know what you're seeing and hearing. :ty:

Jkitty12

Post by Jkitty12 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:21 pm

Wow!

What a time this has been watching these two (and others) grow and leave the nest. It's bittersweet because although I knew this was going to happen I am so sad I won't be seeing Tiku and Tucca again. I wish them the absolute best on their journey!

A question about tracking. I've been reading about Loki and following the tracker. I know she was injured and that was why she had a tracker put on but is that the only time trackers get put on the eaglets? I am apparently thinking with my human emotions but it would be so interesting to follow other eagles in their journeys.

One more thing, sorry I'm new this year, where do Sur and Res usually migrate to? I've read the little ones go up to Alaska and North but do the adults do the same? And providing all goes well when will we see them again???

Thank you everyone for your posts, updates and information.

Keep on loving those eagles! ❤

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:58 pm

FRIDAY, JULY 23, 2021

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:41 am

3:30 am The adults had left when I looked at 9:00 pm so I moved the camera back to the nest. There were no visits to the nest after that - south cam went black at 10:45 pm.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:41 am

Good morning, everyone, and thank you for starting our day, nightowl!

Tiku is 111 days old and has been flying for 29 days
Tucca is 110 days old and has been flying for 27 days
Last time both fledglings were seen together was July 14 at 5:30 am (14-1/2 weeks old)
Last sighting of one fledgling was July 19 at 8:01 am (Tucca - 106 days old)
20210723_001.jpg
18-23-14C = 64-73-47F

Thanks for putting the cam back on the nest, gemini; I've moved it to the wider view showing the nest and the perch in the upper left. I also checked the perch where the adults were yesterday, and it was empty.

I am out of the cams

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:14 am

Jkitty12 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:21 pm
Wow!

What a time this has been watching these two (and others) grow and leave the nest. It's bittersweet because although I knew this was going to happen I am so sad I won't be seeing Tiku and Tucca again. I wish them the absolute best on their journey!

A question about tracking. I've been reading about Loki and following the tracker. I know she was injured and that was why she had a tracker put on but is that the only time trackers get put on the eaglets? I am apparently thinking with my human emotions but it would be so interesting to follow other eagles in their journeys.

One more thing, sorry I'm new this year, where do Sur and Res usually migrate to? I've read the little ones go up to Alaska and North but do the adults do the same? And providing all goes well when will we see them again???

Thank you everyone for your posts, updates and information.

Keep on loving those eagles! ❤
It has been wonderful, hasn't it, Jkitty. :love:

My only involvement in the HWF tracking project (https://hancockwildlife.org/beta-bald-e ... -alliance/) is trying to keep the website and our forum area for discussing the tagged eagles up to date, so I don't know what the current focus is. I do know that we won't go into the trees to band or add trackers to eaglets - but there may be a time when the BETA team tries to capture and tag fledglings after they've fledged to study where they go.

We also have no idea where Sur and Res go while they're away. BACA03 is a male with a nest which I think is in Surrey and you can read about his travels here - viewtopic.php?f=95&t=366. He doesn't seem to have been doing as much exploring as the younger eagles who are not yet nesting - and I suspect the pattern of our adults here (and at our other nests) would be more like his than Loki's, though they may have a different favorite salmon river than he does (and I haven't updated his thread for a while - just too busy while Tiku and Tucca were here!).

Tagging can be a bit of a mixed blessing - I've really enjoyed following Loki this past year, but not all fledglings do as well as she's been doing, and I'd rather not know if something sad happens.

I do know Myles recently tagged an eaglet who fell from the Vanier nest which I think is in Vancouver - his/her tracking page isn't ready yet, but it will be interesting to compare TERF11's travels to Loki's since they do come from the same general area.

And I'm afraid I need to be off. I won't be online much today - so please post if you see any activity.

I just did a really quick check of the dvr and didn't see any activity at the nest.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:07 pm

3:01 pm Eagle on the left tree - it arrived at 1:53 pm and is still there. Hard to see at the moment because it is tucked in right beside the trunk.

Coming in for a landing!
2021-7-23  1-53 pm.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:11 pm

5:05 pm
Good catch, gemini!

He or she is still there, comfortably preening and occasionally looking around.
20210723_003.jpg

After 5+ weeks of incubating, and another 15 weeks providing for two very demanding (and wonderfully charming) eaglets - I bet they are enjoying having a bit of time for themselves. :love:

Good night, everyone. :offtobed:

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:49 pm

9:47 pm Eagle flew at 8:29 pm
2021-7-23  8-29 pm.jpg

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:01 am

SATURDAY, JULY 24, 2021

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:42 am

2:41 am All is quiet on the nest - nothing new to report since my last post.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:44 am

Good morning, everyone!

Tiku is 16 weeks old today and has been flying for 30 days
Tucca will be 16 weeks old tomorrow and has been flying for 28 days
Last time both fledglings were seen together was July 14 at 5:30 am (14-1/2 weeks old)
Last sighting of one fledgling was July 19 at 8:01 am (Tucca - 106 days old)

The morning of July 14 may be the last time we saw Tiku. There were several times after the 14th when we thought the fledgling we were seeing might be Tiku (though more often appearance and behavior both suggested Tucca), and there were times we thought we were hearing a second fledgling, but if both were in the area, it seems odd that we didn't see them together, especially since there were a number of food deliveries to the nest accompanied by serious calling by the fledgling arriving to claim the food. Tiku was definitely ahead of Tucca in reaching various developmental milestones, partly (I believe) because there were a couple of days during their rapid growth period when there was very little food and older eaglet Tiku got most or all of what little food there was, and partly because Tiku was able to fly away after they both tumbled from the perch by the nest on June 24, while Tucca spent two days stuck in the lower branches of the nest tree without food or the ability to do any serious flapping exercise; Tucca did some flying after getting back to the nest on June 26, but spent several days mostly sleeping and eating while Tiku was out flying. It makes sense to me that if one of them headed out to explore the world on the 14th, it was Tiku, while Tucca took a little longer to prepare.

20210724_002.jpg
18-24-15C = 64-75-59F

I've done a quick check of the dvr, and did not see any visits.

It looks like a beautiful day in Surrey - and is lovely in Maine as well - enjoy!

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”