Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

gemini
Admin

Re: Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Post by gemini » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:52 pm

10:09 pm Checked back to 7:15 pm and there was a very quick food drop by Res at 8:27 pm. I think it was a fish - not huge but enough to take the edge off the hunger pangs. Ess got there first.

:vid: Some dinner for Ess

Then there was another delivery by Res at 8:34 pm - this time Dee got to it first. Again I think it was a fish and again not huge but will do the job. That is if she actually got to eat it! Ess went after it and I think Dee may have swallowed the whole fish before it could be stolen but I am not sure - it just may have gone over the edge during the scuffle!

I just checked the South cam and Dee did manage to get the whole thing down! :hooray:

:vid: Dinner for Dee this time

10:54 pm Dee having a go at sleeping standing up with head tucked!
6-25-2019  10-54 pm.jpg
So both chicks (I hope!) should get a good night's sleep tonight!

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:57 pm

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 26, 2019

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:33 am

Good Morning everyone and thank you nightowl for statring the day here :grhug:

Weather Report
screenshot_52.jpg

3:25a
Dee and ESs sleeping ..N Cam is pixelating
screenshot_53.jpg

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:11 am

Good morning, everyone! Wonderful to see that they both got a snack last night!

And guess what I just saw!
20190626_001.jpg

The other eaglet looks very envious. And oh...
20190626_002.jpg

Then the one on top gave a look, and the one in the nest changed her mind. I think it's Ess up there - and she got there by walking up the trunk while flapping, starting about 5:58:30 am.

I need to leave for an appointment in 20 minutes and want to check the dvr so I'll do a video of this sometime later unless gemini has a chance to do it first.

I'm going to do a quick check of the dvr for early visits, then reboot North.

Added - I didn't see any morning visits, though I was looking quickly.

This is the one in the nest - looks like Dee to me.
20190626_003.jpg

Also the one in the nest just did a nice hop-fly across the nest, getting good height, and Dee has been better at that so far, I think.

Time for me to pack up - I should be back in a couple of hours.

Gemini - if you stop by, please feel free to adjust the view on the South cam or reboot North again if it's still pixelating, as long as it's been at least 5 minutes since the last reboot (which anytime after 6:30 am will be).

Hate to leave with so much happening but duty calls - bye!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:25 am

6:23 am
Adult in - Ess didn’t come down so if there is food Dee has it . Bye!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:26 am

Good morning everyone,

Just a quick look to see what's what. It looks like our chicks are really growing up now - thanks for catching that Judy - both up the tree today! Only a couple more weeks and they will be flying - where has the season gone! I am out for the day today so don't have time to do a video but checked the North cam and it is pixelating so will give it a quick reboot.

Both chicks at rest at the moment - one lying down, the other standing still looking out - probably for an adult bearing food!
6-26-2019  9-25 am.jpg
Gotta run! Have a good day everyone!

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:54 am

Good Morning Judy, gemini, Bev, Beth and everyone. I love watching these 2 so while cooking for a party, I watched
them this morning. Here are s’caps of both on the branch, Ess up high and Dee flapping her wings. The 2nd one had Ess almost disappearing on the branch with Dee in the nest.
6:07 am
BA5413D3-11E1-458C-96EB-75CB08ED9BEC.jpeg
6:47 am
8A3A9A3E-B360-4711-BDD6-8380D1E34B51.jpeg
AKA: Marianne

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:07 am

Good morning, Judy, gemini, Bev, and kitkat. :grhug: I can't believe they are already in the tree!..I was taken aback for a minute when I didn't see but one in the nest.. OMG, where did the other go? I looked and looked and finally, it dawned on me.. it's in the tree and way up high...lol. I can't believe they are that big already, seems like yesterday I was watching 2 very small eaglets and worried if they would grow up. Now, look at them. Sur and Res have done an amazing job as parents.. so proud of them. I hope Sur is mending his leg, I haven't seen him for a couple of days. Has anyone else?

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:30 am

Hi everyone!

I have not seen Sur for a couple of days, Beth - hoping soon.

Having seen what our little explorer has been doing, I've moved the South cam - here's my new suggestion for the home position:
20190626_004.jpg

I should be around much of the time for the rest of today and tomorrow, and can do some zooming if I'm here while they are exploring.

This is where the branch goes - and I really cannot tell if the leaves are blocking them from going much higher, or if the leaves are between us and the branch. If Ess keeps going up, we may find out!
20190626_005.jpg

I've recorded quite a lot of video, and my plan is to try to make a "highlights" video - so we'll see how that works. I don't use an editing program - I just re-record pieces of my long (and mostly boring) videos - much easier to find the action on a 10-minute video than a 12-hour dvr!

But I have to be careful of my joints - so it will be a while before I do that.

It's now 11:30 am, and I've only seen the one visit by Res.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi Judy, I've been keeping an eye out and haven't seen any more visits either. :dunno: I wonder if the feedings are further and further behind to encourage the young to fly? I am just making a guess here. I must try take some time out to read up on them...so busy lately and my mind is a blank. :(

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:42 pm

Thanks for stopping by and adding some pictures, Marianne!

Beth, I've certainly heard people saying that adults cut back on food to encourage the eaglets to fledge, but it's not something I've really observed - and it's usually a week or often more after the eaglets start branching before they fledge, or intentionally fly away from the tree. My guess is that Res may be having trouble finding food - and she may be bringing food to Sur, though that would be a definite role reversal. I'm realizing I should ask David Hancock if he's seen that happen. We know that when Ma Delta broke her leg a few years ago, Pa Delta brought her food as she was healing - but I don't know if a female would have the instinct to bring food to her mate since the normal ritual is for the male to bring food while courting the female - and once they have chicks, both parents bring food, once the chicks are old enough to be left alone.

It's now 1:34, and I have not seen any additional visits.

So.... I'm not good at doing videos. This is choppy, and occasionally my cursor or spell-check lines show up where they shouldn't be - but this is 3 hours, from 5:58 am to 8:58 am, summarized in just under 10 minutes:

:vid: Busy Day at the Nest (10 minutes)

Oops - I need a proofreader - I got the eaglets' names backwards in one of my headings. Ess is the one on the high perch, and Dee is the one who was assuming she could also just walk up, like Ess did.
:shame:

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:19 pm

Ha ha ha. :D ..great video Judy, well done, I got a real chuckle out of it.. :mihihi: Three hours? she was up there that long? I guess she was wondering how she would get down but she did well, she flew down..lol. I get scared when I look in the nest and can't see both of them...lol.

Please let us know what David says about Sur, I would hate to think he isn't eating. He's such a good dad and mate.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:21 pm

5:17 pm
Wow! Two deliveries in less than two minutes!

I don’t have details because I’m watching on my iPad but I think they were birds (bigger than snacks), and I know each eaglet has one.

More info soon.

Added -

I'm wrong - only one eaglet has something - I think Ess. But an adult was in twice. Off to review the dvr.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:41 pm

Checking dvr

Res in at 4:57 with a bird that Ess claimed; she hasn't eaten today, so she might have been more desperate.
20190626_006.jpg

5:16 pm
A second delivery - maybe a small mammal, and it might have been brought by Sur. This was a very quick drop - but that sure looks like Sur's tail to me.
20190626_007.jpg

I'll have a video of this soon - but the action isn't over.

Added -

:vid: Two Quick Deliveries (3 minutes)

Isn't this a great mantle?
20190626_008.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:05 pm

OK - there were at least two more visits (and it's only 5:52 pm).

And I have no clue who's bringing what. I think it's possible they found a nest of small fluffy birds and that's what the last three deliveries were - and I sort of wish they were into tofu, but that's not the eagle way, and the eaglets were getting very hungry.

I'm going to do videos now, and if I have energy, I'll try to pull some pictures to post.

And I want to watch the South cam - I'm pretty sure at least some of the deliveries were made by Sur, but there's no way I could see his leg amidst the mantling wings.

Added -
Having looked at the videos, I think the 3rd and 4th deliveries are by Sur - it looked as if there was a smudge on the head on the 3rd and the black spot on the tail on the 4th.

:vid: Third Delivery

:vid: Fourth Delivery

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”