Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Re: Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:57 am

Good Morning Judy, gemini, Marg , Beth and everyone and thanks nightowl for staring the day here :grhug:

Weather Report
screenshot_13.jpg
2:49a
Nest is empty .. N cam has spinning circle
screenshot_12.jpg

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:25 am

Good morning, everyone!

6:20 am
I see a couple of new leaves on the nest, but I suspect they're a result of the wind and rain, not a visit - it looks pretty windy this morning.
20190802_001.jpg

I just rebooted the North cam and it's still/already pixelated. I don't like to reboot it twice without waiting a few minutes, so I'll come back in a while and try again.

I looked back until yesterday evening on the South cam dvr, and didn't see any visits. I was going fairly quickly through the 12 hours, so could have missed a quick visit, but I doubt if they came to the nest.

7 am
I rebooted North again and it's still choppy. I think we'll need to wait for the weather to improve.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:33 am

Good morning, everyone!

Our Cam Maintenance Matching Drive is off to a great start - we've already had several people adopt nests for next season or donate in other ways!

Thank you so much for your support -
we absolutely could not do this without you!

We do still have a ways to go, and unfortunately, while Dawson and Sawyer helped make the Surrey Bald Eagle Reserve a reality and provided the funds to buy and install these wonderful cams, it sounds as if ongoing maintenance wasn't part of that deal.

Thanks also to those of you who have provided information about the work that needs to be done on site.
  1. Cams need cleaning; North/overhead cam developed some big splotches shortly after the fledglings left, and there are also parts of the South cam where we can't see clearly
  2. Please check cabling and connections on Surrey North (the cam over the nest); the signal breaks up much more frequently than on any of our other cams - wind may be a factor, but I'm wondering if something is loose or if a tie is cutting into the wire or something of that nature
  3. Some of the base sticks that Myles tied together were poking up and the eagles tails and wings sometimes get caught up on them; the eagles themselves have tried in vain to break them or remove them and couldn't so maybe they could be trimmed.

If there are other things that could be done to improve our viewing, please let me know.

The general time when eagles are away is early August through late September - more or less; different pairs do seem to have different schedules, and some take longer breaks than others. And David and Myles both have a lot of things scheduled during that time, so they don't always have as much flexibility as they'd like as to when they work on a nest.

Here's what we know about the variables for Surrey Reserve - these adults don't spend much time on the nest, and we haven't found places where they perch that we can see with the cams, so it will be hard to know if they are still in the area; hopefully David Hancock will be able to tell, since he lives nearby and knows their territory. We haven't seen anyone on the nest since July 26, but have heard a few trills so one of the adults may still be around.

Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts or comments - you can send a PM or email me at [email protected].

We really do need more money up front if we're going to get all the cams cleaned, so if there's any way you can make a donation towards that, that would be wonderful!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:08 am

Good morning everyone, I was just at the nest and there have been no new visits. Thank you, Judy, for the report. I have been busy these last few days with my dog and appointments. Yes, the wind is blowing this morning and we had thunder, rain and lightning last night. Power was ou here this morning.

SueD

Post by SueD » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:33 am

Hello, JudyB and everyone! This season was nerve-wracking at times, but ultimately the eagles persevered. Congratulations to Res and Sur for raising two eaglets to fledging!
aka byline ~ 2012

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi Sue, I agree with you there...lol...I was sitting on pins and needles there for awhile. Just came from the nest and no new sighting so far.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi Again .. I am just getting back here now but was checking the cam and a huge Thank you Judy for your Cam Maintenance Matching Drive Post and to gemini for doing doing all the "please donate " buttons.. that was a lot of work for each HWF nest and I hope more donate ..

1:46p
Windy at the empty nest
screenshot_01.jpg
'No sign of the eagles and eaglets

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:35 am

SATURDAY, AUGUST 3, 2019

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:27 am

Good Morning everyone and thanks nightowl for starting the day here'

Weather Report
screenshot_34.jpg

6:25am
Nest is empty ,,N Cam is sputtering
screenshot_33.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:46 am

Good morning, everyone, and thanks for starting our day, nightowl!

I just checked back to yesterday evening on both cams and didn't see any visits.

I also rebooted the North cam - we'll see if it behaves better today.

Marg suggested we try looking at the upper branches, noting that the fledgling from the nest she watches locally isn't coming to the nest, but still spends time time in the trees. With that in mind, I've pulled the South cam back to a wider view, showing more of the upper branches as well as a neighboring tree. We need to be careful with this because it's close to looking at the sun - and I'll probably put it back a little lower and away from the sun for overnight.
20190803_001.jpg

Thoughts?

This view does show some of the areas where the cam cover needs cleaning - fortunately it stayed pretty clean looking towards the nest, but trying to look up is more challenging.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:29 am

Morning everyone, I do see the guck on the camera lenses, I haven't seen any action from the eagles at all. It was very windy here yesterday but seems better today. That is a better angle to see if the eagles are flying by or landing in the tree branches Judy so thank you.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:37 am

You're welcome, Beth - and even if we don't see our eagles, we might see some eagles from further away flying by on their way north towards the salmon - one never knows!

I don't generally post pictures of bugs - but the yellow spot in the lower center of the screen is some sort of bug, and it's the most action I've seen all day, so....
20190803_005.jpg

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:16 am

LOL..n the bug Judy.. I haven't seen any action either.. I just came from there.. he kids will be here shortly so I will be away..have a great day everyone.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:57 pm

SUNDAY, AUGUST 4, 2019

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:25 am

Good Morning everyone and thanks nightowl for starting the day here :grhug: