Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

gemini
Admin

Re: Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Post by gemini » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:23 am

11:21 am Just checked the DVR back to JudyB's last post and no visits to the nest that I could see. All is quiet except for the ongoing construction noises.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:31 am

I just checked also gemini
'11:27a
Nest is empty
screenshot_10.jpg

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:42 pm

2:41 P.M. B.C. Time no visits to the nest.. it's still empty.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:32 pm

5:27 pm No visits seen since Bev's last post at 11:27 am.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:19 pm

7:13pm
Windy at the empty nest ..N Cam is sputtering
screenshot_04.jpg

I checked the DVR back to your post gemini.. No nest visits !

Goodnight everyone and thanks for today :grhug:

Hope this precious family is safe wherever they are .. I do wonder If Res and Sur are watching over Dee and Ess and bringing them food and I think they are JMO ... :luck: :love:

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:28 pm

8:26 pm Just checked the DVR back to Bev's last post and nothing new to report. All is quiet.

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:34 pm

I looked also about that time gemini.....
btw I haven't seen any of my eagles in the Stalashen nest for a few days I believe they are gone also.
(Delete if this shouldn't be here.)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:22 pm

9:18 pm Just processed this bit of video featuring the trill of an adult. No one came to the nest though.

:vid: Someone's still around - if only to be heard very briefly (:22)

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:57 pm

TUESDAY, JULY 30, 2019

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:11 am

Good Morning SR , Judy, gemini , Beth , Marg and thanks nightowl for starting the day and gemini for the video.. the eagle was loud!

Weather Report
screenshot_13.jpg
4:03a
Nest is empty .. N Cam is sputtering and slow to start .
screenshot_12.jpg
checked the DVR back to gemini's post and no nest visits that I saw!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:03 am

Good morning, everyone!

8:00 am
I just took a look back from early morning - and noticed that the South cam jumped from around 5 am to 5:30, so we couldn't see a bit of the early light - but I didn't see anyone the rest of the time.

North cam jumped a lot more, and I've now rebooted it so hopefully it will run more smoothly for a while.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:14 am

Good morning everyone, and thank you for starting the day here nightowl, I jumped back and looked at gemini's video, I'm not 100% sure but the squawking sounded a lot to me like a Seagul and not and Eagle. I am just guessing but that's what I think. I didn't see any action at the nest at all. It's 9:14 am Mission time.

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:15 am

Hi Beth sounds like an eagle to me. :bye 1:

Took a peek at 10:16 empty nest.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:12 am

It seems like only yesterday that Dee, the first chick to hatch at the nest built by HWF in the first Bald Eagle Reserve in British Columbia, broke free from her shell.

(April 14 image courtesy of IrishEyes)

And it was July 5 when she took flight, carrying with her the hopes and dreams of those who have been working to find ways to save space for the eagles and other wildlife as more of the lower mainland of BC is developed.

Dee and her sister Ess have now set out to explore the world - and the camera that let us watch them hatch needs cleaning (note blobs in upper right).

And it's not the only camera or nest that needs some work, so....

Cam Maintenance Matching Drive Starts Now!

As many of you know, Delta 2 and Harrison Mills are viewer-sponsored nests - and we ideally need to raise $5000 for each of them to cover annual maintenance and the ongoing expenses of internet fees and site visits. It would be absolutely wonderful if we could raise $10,000 in this drive - and that may be a bit optimistic, but the closer we get, the less we'll need to raise later.

We didn't have eggs at Harrison Mills - last year's male returned with a new female, and they've done a lot of work on the nest so I have a good feeling about next year - doesn't that nest look inviting?

(July 29 image of Dad at the nest by IrishEyes)

We haven't been able to clean the cams at Harrison Mills for a couple of years - last year Dad and his new mate came back early so we had to call off the maintenance. Happily the cams are still streaming - but their dome covers are badly in need of cleaning.

The dome covers at Delta 2 need more than cleaning - as you can see in the picture below, there's a bit of a yellow/sepia tinge to everything that didn't go away when we cleaned them last year - and this year we are hoping to replace them.

(June 16 image of Bella and Coola waiting for breakfish courtesy of Sandy_W)

We would also like to replace the covers on the older cams at Harrison Mills and White Rock, but unfortunately they've been discontinued and we have not yet found a source. If anyone knows where to find stuff like that, please let me know; the cams are Vivotek Model SD8362E and there are four of them in all.
How to Donate

Happily some long-time friends of HWF are willing to match the first $1000 raised in the next three days - so if you adopt Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500!

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly." Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently about $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi Marg, oki doki, an eagle it is...lol. :yes:

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”