Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Post by JudyB » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:57 am

9:37 am
Finally getting back to checking the dvr from 7:57 - and you can see some interesting things when you go through a video frame by frame - it looks to me as if the bird that landed in the top of the tree was an adult; I'm seeing some white up there.
20190722_005.jpg

And then one of the fledglings landed a few seconds after the adult.
20190722_007.jpg

Then the adult flew off - not a great picture, but I was definitely seeing white head and tails as I went through the video frame by frame.
20190722_008.jpg

And the fledgling on the nest watched the adult, then flew up to the little perch.
20190722_009.jpg

And that's the end of the video. The fledgling flew off after a bit, and with luck I'll be able to tell which one it was from the other cam - but we'll save that for the next post. When you watch the video, I started it at the time I saw the fledgling flying towards the nest; the two cams may be out of sync, because it was almost 30 seconds before anything started happening.

:vid: Flying In (90 seconds)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:31 am

Continuing....

Well, I didn't get much of a look at the fledgling on the nest - it took me a minute to get the cam back from the water to the nest. The tail might be Ess, but most of the time I didn't see a sign of white; and the marks on the side might be Dee, though I think Dee's are a little more distinct. It's a shame they don't go in for painting their toenails or something distinctive. :%:
20190722_010.jpg

I'm leaning towards this being Ess, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because the tail seemed to be wider rather than rounded most of the time - though they both do both things, depending on their activity. But Ess more often has her tail sort of square, I think.

The fledgling went from the little perch up to the bend in the trunk and flew off at 7:59. At 8:01 a fledgling landed on the upper perch on the other side and went briefly down to the nest. And that might be Dee - but I tried taking a couple of comparison shots of them on the little branch - and the first one landed better (which says Ess to me), and maybe looks a little plumper (the first one is on top in the two pictures below) - but in the second picture, the lighter spots on the side look nearly identical - so - we saw at least one fledgling this morning!
20190722_011.jpg
~
20190722_012.jpg

And unless they marched through with a small brass band while I was staring at my mini-videos looking for points of comparison, no one has been to the nest since then.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:27 pm

3:11 pm
Looking back - there was a brief visit by Dee at 11:56 am; she was there about 90 seconds, and called a few times, then flew off.
20190722_014.jpg
20190722_015.jpg
20190722_016.jpg

And looking at these pictures, I'm thinking it probably was Dee who was there earlier today, and we may not have seen Ess yet today.

It's now 3:26 pm, I didn't see any other visits (though it's really easy to miss brief visits like this one), and the nest and visible perches are empty.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Hahaha ha ha ha...Judy, you are making me laugh so hard here...lol...I could have sworn on the video there were three eagles, one adult and 2 fledgelings (1 in the nest and 1 flying by ?) I didn't see a marching band but I could be tempted to go back and look...ha ha ha .. I am so tired right now. I just got back from unloading styrofoam, cardboard and plastic at the recycle..so tired.. :no: I am going to go lay down aa bit..lol..see you later I hope. xxx :roll:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:50 pm

I forgot to mention that there were a few smaller black birds flying around, Beth - maybe crows. And I definitely could have missed a fly-by by a fledgling - there was a lot going on!

It’s now 5:45 and I’ve been watching most of the time since my last post and haven’t seen anyone though I’ve heard some calls so at least one of the fledglings is around.

Time for me to say good night all! :offtobed:

And of course while I was typing I saw someone in the nest. Back in a minute on something bigger than my phone.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:55 pm

Never mind - it was just a shadow.

Though I am still hearing calls.

And now I'm really off to bed - bye!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:42 pm

8:40 pm Went back to 5:55 pm on both DVR's but there have been no visits that I could see and it was quiet for the most part until a short while ago when eaglet calling from at least on eaglet began.

The calling is getting closer - will keep my computer on in case she decides to come to the nest.

Back in awhile.

1:15 am I've had the computer up all evening but other than the calling out there haven't been any visits from the parents or the eaglets. I ran through the DVR's just in case and didn't see a thing. Visits are happening less and less - it won't be long before there will be none.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:59 pm

TUESDAY, JULY 23, 2019

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:23 am

Good Morning everyone and thanks nightowl for starting the day here ' :grhug:

Weather Report
screenshot_03.jpg
4:16a
Quiet at the empty nest
screenshot_04.jpg

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:36 am

Good morning everyone.
6:34am I checked the nest but it is still empty.
I tried to go back but got a spinning circle so I tried the other cam but now I have 2 spinning circles......

Off to get my breakfast. :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:27 am

Good morning, everyone....
gemini wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:42 pm
Visits are happening less and less - it won't be long before there will be none.
I think you're right, gemini - when I opened my iPad to watch the nest while I had breakfast, the image on the screen showed an adult on the nest - and the adult was there for a while, slowly eating the food he or she brought - and I didn't hear a single call.

Checking the dvr now, and will finish with that visit unless something else happens - one or both fledglings could still be in the area and might stop by again - but they also might not. Do you remember how, all of a sudden, they decided it was time to fly - and off they went? I have a feeling leaving their parents' territory is a similar thing - all of a sudden, they've "got the urge for going" (to quote an old song) - and they go.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:47 am

From the dvr....

I didn't see any visits in the early morning, and I paused a few times as it was getting light and listened, and didn't hear any calls, though there might have been some.

I think this is Sur who arrived at 5:41 am with food.
20190723_001.jpg

He waited until 5:44 am, and then began working on the food item, pausing frequently to look around. He wasn't in a hurry, but did seem to focus more on the food than on looking around as time went by. This is 5:51 am.
20190723_002.jpg

He finished eating at 5:57 am, feaked (wiped off) his beak on the side of the nest, looked around a bit, and flew up to the little perch.
20190723_003.jpg

He flew off at 5:59 am.

It's now 7:45 am, and I have not seen any other visits. The North cam started acting up not long after the visit - I'm going to look through it once more at first light, then I'll do a reboot.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:49 am

Continuing....

I'm looking and listening to early morning on the North cam, and thought I heard some distant calls at 4:44 am. I'll also take a closer look at the South cam in a few minutes.

Added -
I'm definitely hearing some calls - 4:48, 4:54, 4:58 - though not from the nest tree, but nearby. And that makes sense to me - it seems that fledglings often leave early in the morning, so I was expecting that Dee would be around, though she may not come to the nest.

Added -
I see that sunrise is 5:31 am (thanks, Bev!) - and it's actually fairly light for at least a half hour before that. I heard some calls at 5:05 am.

5:16 am - other birds are starting their day; I haven't heard any calls from Dee recently.

Added -
I think the last confirmed sighting of Ess was around 9 pm on Saturday, July 20 (viewtopic.php?p=227826#p227826), so she probably headed out Sunday morning. And she may still be around, and either or both of them might make an appearance today or in a few days - but somehow I don't expect that to happen.

It's a strange thing - they're strong, beautiful, well-trained young eagles, off to explore the world and with a bit of luck become parents as good as Sur and Res in 5 or 6 years - a real success story for our first year watching this nest! So why am I crying? :love:

5:33 am - no additional calls heard; there's a lonesome train whistle in the background.

I continued watching and listening until 5:41 when Sur arrived, and didn't hear any additional calls.

It's now 8:50 am; I've rebooted North, and looked back on South since I had both on dvr, and didn't see any visits since Sur left.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:24 am

Good morning Judy, Bev, gemini and Marg, well I scrolled back and saw Sur with a meal for the youngsters but they didn't show up, he ate some of it himself, he was looking around for them as he ate. It's a beautiful day for them today.

It saddens me to Judy, after all, we have been watching them non stop for a long time.. they sort of grow on you, don't they? :hug: I just pray with all my heart that they will be safe. :luck:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:06 am

I agree, Beth - and I know Res and Sur gave them a good start - so I'm hoping....

I just went into the South cam briefly to adjust it so it's easier to see the nest while looking back on the dvr; I think the usual perching spots are still visible.
20190723_005.jpg

And while I was in there, I took a peek towards Mount Baker in the east, thinking that our young eagles might be heading that way, though it's probably too early for salmon at Harrison Mills - and while the mountain itself is hidden by leaves right now (it's to left) - I did see a large bird circling - maybe an eagle. Not easy to see in this picture, but he or she seemed to be riding the thermals and having a wonderful time - and of course I wondered if it might be one of our fledglings. :love:
20190723_004.jpg

It's 11:04 am, and I haven't seen or heard any eagles (though I don't have the volume very high - noisy construction today). I'm going to be out for a couple of hours.

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”