Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

BETHINB.C.

Re: Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Post by BETHINB.C. » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Good night Judy..sleep well. :bye 1:

Good night to all and I will see you tomorrow, hopefully, Res and Sur will visit the nest tomorrow, Judy you may be right about the heat, I sure hope all is ok, and Yes, the eaglets did eat well this morning.
Night, for now.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:33 pm

Hello again, before going to bed I went back and caught Res bringing something in,@ 20:20 pm. I Think it was a rodent of some kind. Both chicks got some as they fought over it and it broke in half from what I could tell. Just glad they were ace to get something to eat before bed.

Judy, you were right again. they didn't bring the food when it was hot and waited for this evening.

I am off to bed now so I will say goodnight to all, sleep tight. :bye 1:
Last edited by BETHINB.C. on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:57 pm

TUESDAY, JUNE 25, 2019

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:11 am

Went back to JudyB's last post on the DVR and at 8:20 pm Mom flew in with some "dinner." I went through the video frame by frame several times and here is my interpretation:

As near as I could tell, Ess grabbed the food item(s), Dee came from behind and stole some - you can see it dangling from her beak - and Ess had some in her beak which she swallowed immediately. And when Ess changes position you can see she also has some prey under her talon. Then, while dragging the prey still under her talon, Ess goes after Dee to get back what she stole. Ess came out of that scuffle with a large piece in her beak. And Dee was left with some under her talon.

What is the prey? Who knows, your guess is as good as mine - I think two of something. What's yours?

:vid: Who got what?? You decide! (2:44) - both cams

Then at 8:38 pm both chicks suddenly looked up and started squealing. This went on for about a minute and a half. It sounded like there may have been an adult in the nest tree overhead and eventually was joined by some very agitated crows squawking like mad. If you listen carefully, under the squawking you can hear an adult's call. Both chicks were very interested in what was happening! I edited out a full minute of them staring up and squealing. Eventually the crow noise faded away and the chicks lost interest. I am wondering if the prey that was brought in a few minutes before might have been baby crows? Except it didn't look like birds!? :dunno: Something was up anyway!

:vid: What a commotion! (2:57)

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:59 am

Good early morning SR Eagle family and everyone and thanks nightowl for starting the day here !

Weather Report
screenshot_11.jpg
2:43a
N Cam is pixelating .. One kid is down the nest and other one is standing and is busy preening !
screenshot_12.jpg

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:50 am

Good morning, everyone, and thanks for posting the weather, Bev.

6:50 am
I just checked the dvr for yesterday evening after gemini's posts, then quickly through the night, then more slowly once they started moving around this morning, and I did not see any visits.

I've rebooted the North cam and it seems to be running smoothly for now, and should be easier to look back since it did reset the dvr.

I have a couple of things I need to do, and will be back later.

Keeping fingers crossed that we see some deliveries soon.

7:27 am
North is pixelated again. Didn't see any sign of a visit so I'm doing another reboot.

8:26 am
Pixelated again, so doing another reboot. Just looked back, and still no visits.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:47 am

8:33 am
Res just arrived with maybe a small fish? I think Ess has it.
20190624_015.jpg

And now that I've watched the video I'm making - it was a baby bird. Dee followed Ess around as Ess moved around the nest, and seemed to be finding some scraps, but Ess got the bulk of the little meal.
20190625_002.jpg

So - the chicks are mantled up here - but doesn't Mom look small standing between them!
20190625_003.jpg

:vid: Snack for Ess (1 minute, both cams)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:07 am

This is another fun video - again starring Dee. I'm remembering that David Hancock said that Ess looked like a female, and Dee looked even bigger, so was probably also a female - but it's also true that males grow a little faster, and often reach developmental milestones sooner - and Dee is starting to flap up a storm. So it's also possible that Dee is a big male - and Ess is going to get even bigger. I'm still mostly thinking they're both female - they are huge! But there are times that I wonder about Dee.

:vid: Dee's High Leaps (41 seconds)

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:09 am

Good morning Gemini, yes it was baby crows, I could see their little heads and they didn't have any feathers yet, there seem to be a lot of crows nesting close by and seems to be one of the main things they bring to the nest, I remember a few years ago, there was a nest of crows up in a hight tree across the way from us, a young eagle raided it and my, Oh my was it ever noisy, Crows are called a murder when they congregate to save their young. That eagle was getting pecked at in the air, one was landing on its back.a real scene for sure. I felt so bad for the crows but I also understand that they eat other chicks ( small birds ) too. I guess that's nature at its worst.

Will add when I read more.

Added: Thanks Judy for the video of "Dee's high leaps" I thought he was going to fly right out of the nest..lol. The delivery of food was at 20:20 pm last night. Last one I was able to see.

Thank you, Bev, for the weather report.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 am

10:25 am I was watching the kids flap away on the north cam when all of a sudden one disappeared! I quickly went to the South cam to see what had happened and look what I found!

:vid: Ess disappears!!

6-25-2019  10-25 am.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:57 am

gemini wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 am
10:25 am I was watching the kids flap away on the north cam when all of a sudden one disappeared! I quickly went to the South cam to see what had happened and look what I found!

6-25-2019 10-25 am.jpg
Wow - what a great catch, gemini - first branching! Hooray!

Do you know which one? I'm almost thinking it's Dee perched on the side of the nest in your picture, but haven't seen Ess get that much height. Though I think one of them was sort of jumping up against that slanting trunk.

Have to go out for a bit - who knows where they'll be by then!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:12 am

Pretty sure this is Ess's tail! (scapped from her hop up the branch)
Ess's tail-2.jpg

I actually missed seeing her make the jump. I looked away and then back and she was gone! Pretty scary! I thought it was eagle overboard for sure because as you said Judy, we haven't seen her do much other than lie down!

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:46 am

LOL. :D ..I was watching it too and one minute flapping the next sitting on the branch. I am not able to tell them apart now, the camera was blurry for some reason. I've noticed the last couple of days they have bee wing-flapping quite a bit. I guess strengthing their wings for the big day. Thank you for the video Gemini. Love seeing them.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:15 pm

Ess (foreground) down for the count, Dee looking around!
6-25-2019  12-05 pm.jpg

Ess pretty tired after her adventure! (video's a little longer than usual but it is her first time after all!)
:vid: Yikes! What do I do now?

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:03 pm

12:51 pm
I just went back on the dvr looking for visits (didn't see any) - but I did see one of the eaglets up beside the little perch again - and I'm looking forward to the video for more details, but it looked to me as if Ess initially half-ran up the trunk to get to the little bump in the trunk beside the perch - but the second time, the eaglet (probably Ess) hopped up there then hopped back down.

Which brings me to a question - should we pull the South cam back a bit for a slightly wider view?

This is the current position
20190625_004.jpg

This is nest and perches - which is much wider
20190625_005.jpg

This is nest_perches - which is sort of in the middle
20190625_006.jpg

Looking at the second picture, I'm thinking the place where the diagonal trunk that Ess went up levels out might be a possible goal, so we might want to include that.

Maybe something more like this? Although it will be a lot harder to see their tails to tell who is who.
20190625_007.jpg

Thoughts?

I am out of the South cam and will leave it at the last setting above for a little while. I'm mostly around for a while, so will be able to zoom back in or try something else if folks have thoughts or suggestions.

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”