Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Post by JudyB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:40 am

From the dvr....

4:48 am
Sur(?) in with a small something - in and out so fast that I couldn't tell if there was an issue with his foot.
20190623_001.jpg

He may have his weight on his "heel" rather than toes as adults usually stand - but I can't tell for sure.
20190623_002.jpg

It's my impression that it's Ess that has the item, and it looked like a small mammal - maybe a mouse or something? It's too early for me to get a picture confirming tail feathers - but I thought I saw light at the end of this eaglet's tail as she was moving, and am not seeing any on the other eaglet who is now perched on the edge on the South cam.
20190623_003.jpg

:vid: Early Delivery (25 seconds, both cams)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:53 am

Continuing from dvr....

5:48 am
Delivery by Res with a very dirty tail. She went up to the perch afterwards, and I'm noticing that the perch is now almost eye-level for the eaglets in the nest - definitely a possible goal as they hop-fly higher! I think the food item was a small bird - both eaglets grabbed, and I think Dee got most of it.

Well, that's a great action shot, but it's impossible to see quite what's going on....
20190623_004.jpg

The eaglet on the left has it, and I think I see white on the tail of the eaglet on the right.
20190623_005.jpg

Res on the perch - see how tall the eaglets are!
20190623_006.jpg

I'm not doing a video now - may come back later, but it's been a busy morning and I'm trying to get caught up.

Added:
:vid: Dee gets the prize! (1:32) Both cams

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:00 am

Continuing from the dvr....

5:53 am
Another delivery - the other chick got this one, since Dee (I think) was still guarding the last one. Another small mammal.
20190623_007.jpg

This was Res at 5:48 - dirty tail but I can see her white stripe; bottom side of the tail was even dirtier - but I did not see any black on the upper tail.
20190623_008.jpg

This was her at 5:53 am - still dirty tail, still a white stripe.
20190623_009.jpg

I'm not going to do a video now, but she was walking very well on the nest from the North cam - may document that later.

Added:
:vid: Ess wins out this time

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:15 am

continuing from the dvr....

6:37 am
Delivery by Sur - the bottom of his tail is also very dirty, but I saw the black on the upper tail. This may have been a flounder - and I think it's the piece of fish being worked on at 8:07; flounder may be harder to open than bullheads.
20190623_010.jpg

Sur still has some dirt on his head.
20190623_011.jpg

The bottom of both of their tails look sort of like this.
20190623_012.jpg

It looked to me as if he went to put weight on his right leg as he prepared to fly off on the South cam view, then decided to just use his wings.

:vid: Sur Brings Fish (31 seconds, both cams)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:32 am

Continuing from the dvr....

This is a very busy morning! Res arrived at 7:44 am with a large headless bird carcass - I'd wondered where that came from! She was moving around the nest on the South view - looked very strong - and bringing this wasn't easy - she was panting after the delivery.

Mom and eaglets - the one in the middle may be a bit closer to the cam, and the one of the right is mantling - but I still think they may be bigger than she is.
20190623_013.jpg

Large food item! I love the way Mom and the other eaglet are watching!
20190623_014.jpg

Added - another perspective on the large food item:
20190623_015.jpg

:vid: Res Brings Big Bird (90 sec, both cams)

See how well Mom's moving - she really looks completely recovered from her leg injury!

Time for a lunch break - I'll continue with the morning deliveries when I get back.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 am

Good morning everyone, I watched the video Judy and I am concerned now about Sur's right leg, seems he is having trouble putting weight on it now. That was a flounder and they are very toughed skinned. One reason I don't like catching them..too hard to work with. I'm lazy...lol. ;) Am I right about Sur's leg Judy? The chicks are sure getting a good feed today. and a great assortment of food to boot. :D

Added: I wonder what happened to the birds head? I was shocked to see this..lol.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:52 am

That's actually an interesting question about the bird's head, Beth - I'm used to osprey bringing headless fish to the nest because the male often eats the head before delivering the food, so I sort of assumed without thinking that Res had done - which does not make any sense at all. I'm guessing she found it on the beach, and I have not a clue how it got there.

Continuing checking back on the dvr to the big visit by Dad Sur....

He arrived at 8:03 am, and brought something that was quickly grabbed by one of the chicks - not sure what, but it could have been another flounder because I think the earlier one was gone by then, and there was one on the nest a little later. I think Ess grabbed the item.
20190623_016.jpg

Sur poked around on the nest looking for food. After a minute or so, Ess decided the flounder was too much work (think she agrees with you, Beth!) and left it to move back to the gull. You can see the flounder here - the dark shape partly under the gull.
20190623_017.jpg

Sur continued picking up scraps and moving closer to Ess - and Ess decided Sur was too close and rose up to defend her food.
20190623_018.jpg

I was not thinking fast enough to log in and zoom in on Sur's foot - but his right foot does look swollen to me.

to be continued....

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:15 am

continuing....

They both backed down after a second. Dee was moving around in the background calling (and Ess was probably also calling - it was very loud on the nest until Sur left) - and I definitely got the impression that both eaglets are clearly bigger than Sur.
20190623_019.jpg

Sur grabbed the flounder and tried to eat it - and it took him a while to get it anchored with his good foot. As he tore off the first bite, Dee appeared at his side, hoping to be fed - and Sur obliged.
20190623_020.jpg

Sur's entire visit is recorded - in three parts - to help us determine the extent of his injury to his right leg.

:vid: Sur's Long visit - Part 1 (4:06)

I think Sur got some bites - but Dee probably got more. Ess continued to work on her bird. While all this was going on, Ess was dragging the bird around the nest, and I think maybe she wanted Sur to stop feeding Dee and come feed her. Then at 8:11, Dee decided she could feed herself faster, and grabbed the flounder away from Sur. Sur moved over to the gull, and started eating the legs, and then Dee grabbed the gull's wing and pulled it away from both of them. Sur grabbed it back. Now both chicks were annoyed - and loud. Dee moved over and started eating the gull - Sur went back to the flounder and tried to swallow it, but it was a bit too big for that. He managed to get a grip and got some bites before Ess came over, and then like the good dad he is, he began feeding Ess, though he continued to take bites for himself. Finally Ess grabbed it and tried to swallow it. Sur flew off at 8:16 - and it was suddenly quiet on the nest.

Lots of possible pictures - this is Dee trying to take the gull from Ess (she succeeded).
20190623_021.jpg

:vid: Sur's Long visit - Part 2 (4:08)

:vid: Sur's Long visit - Part 3 (5:06)

The visit was 13-1/2 minutes - and gemini or I will add a video of at least part of it, but right now I need a break so I'm stepping away from my computer for a while.

It's now 11:14 am and I didn't see any visits while I was going through the events from Sur's long visit, though I might have missed something. Back in a while.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi again Judy, I'm wondering if the parents hurt their legs as they are grabbing fish out of the water ( river ) with the current and all? I'm just wondering here because both parents came in lame after delivering a fish to the young. A bad strain??

Now as for the headless bird..lol..reminds me of a horror movie...YIKES!...lol. :D

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:24 pm

Thank you for adding videos, gemini - there's been a lot happening today and it's nice to have a record!

Beth, I don't think the eagles would be likely to hurt their legs catching fish - that can definitely happen to fledglings because they haven't learned to judge distances and things as well, but adults who have been doing this for more than five years have probably gotten pretty good at it - though I think they fish mostly in Semiahmoo and Boundary Bays, which are tidal - but they're also familiar the fact that the depth of the water changes.

David Hancock is aware of what we're seeing with Sur today - and that Res is now much better, 2-1/2 weeks after her initial injury - and perhaps he'll have some comments on that. He's seen a lot more eagle behavior than the rest of us, having been involved with raptors for more than 60 years.

2:11 pm
One of the eaglets is working on leftovers, and the other appears to be demonstrating a yoga pose.
20190623_023.jpg

Added - 3:20 pm
I've been watching most of the time since my last post, and haven't seen any visits or signs that an adult stopped by.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:38 pm

I noticed the bird has webbed feet so its some kind of water bird. Sur seems to have the same injury as Res did 2 1/2 weeks ago. The bird looks like it is old as rigour had already set in. Thank you for the videos. Will add if I have more one it.

Added: The flounder is history and they all ate some, the bird, well I have no idea what they're going to do with it. Ghey are having a difficult time with it I think. :(

Added again: Sur is definitely having trouble on his right leg.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:31 pm

4:31 pm Checked the DVR back to JudyB's last post and not much activity. One eaglet (Dee I think) has been lying down and squealing and the other one has been alternating standing in one place and squealing with hopping from one spot to another.

Dee trying to climb the tree
6-23-2019  4-23 pm.jpg

If I didn't know better, you would think these two were starving the way they are squealing all the time!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:14 pm

Thought I would get a view of Sur's injured leg from a different angle while we still can. It is really obvious from the South cam when he first arrived this morning.

:vid: Sur's leg injury viewed from the South cam

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks, gemini!

5;56 pm
I’ve been watching and haven’t seen any visits- and I agree that Dee and Ess have had lots of food - but you know eaglets - never enough!

Good night everyone.... :offtobed:

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Looks like they are settled down for the night.
Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 8.50.11 PM.png
:offtobed:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”