Surrey Reserve 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

CC398
Topic Assistant

Re: Surrey Reserve 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion

Post by CC398 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:46 am

Sounds like "Patrol" will be a fun feature for viewers who might like to see the beauty around the SR nest. Thanks Judy!
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:00 am

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 17, 2022

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:50 am

Good morning, everyone, and :ty: nightowl!

202208017_001.jpg

I did a quick check of the dvr with a focus on when it was beginning to get light, and didn't see anyone. We don't usually see eagles returning to the nest until mid-late September, but this is the first year that SM and SF have a nest to return to (as far as we know - i still think they are both young adults), so it's possible they might be back sooner. Or later. :dunno:

Have a good day, everyone!

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:36 am

THURSDAY, AUGUST 18, 2022

Member since May 9, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:55 am

SATURDAY, AUGUST 20, 2022

I have been checking in from time to time, and reviewing the dvr for dawn and dusk when the eagles were most often visiting the nest, but am not posting because I haven't seen anything.

Actually - that's not quite true - I did see this yesterday:
202208019_001.jpg

But I don't plan to post unless/until I have something to report. I haven't even noticed anyone soaring in the distance when the South cam is looking out over the water or towards the mountains, though there probably are some sea birds around.

We don't know what this new pair will do, but most eagles in the area start returning in late September or early October - and I'll be looking more closely then.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:20 am

2022 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

Thanks to all who have donated - we are already up to $3000! And that doesn't include the $1000 matching pledge, which should arrive in a day or so. And I've heard of at least three more nest adoptions that are in the works. :D

We already have 12 adoptions for 2023 - 3 for Delta 2, 3 for White Rock, 2 for Surrey Reserve, one each for Harrison Mills and French Creek, and two for the Southwest Florida Eagle Cam. (The SWFEC donations are towards the expenses of maintaining the forum where screenshots, observations, and video links are stored; we are not involved with the maintenance of the cams there.)

Happily our cameras at Surrey Reserve are fairly new and going strong, but we do want to have the usual cleaning done, and also check the straps to make sure they are in good shape. A new pair of eagles moved into the nest this year, and we're hoping they will be ready to nest in spring 2023.

They didn't really start working together until a few months ago - but then they did some work on the nest, so we're hoping. Here are a couple of pictures.

We think they are both young, and there's a good chance that they will raise their first chicks ever next year - if you can, we'd love to have your help so we can see that happen through sparkling clean domes.

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:58 pm

SUNDAY, AUGUST 21, 2022

Member since May 9, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:45 am

I am continuing to check the dvr from time to time, and have now seen a gray squirrel as well as the black squirrel - but no eagles. And that's what I'd expect this time of year - I hope they are having a wonderful summer break, and lots of salmon and other treats. :love:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:45 am

~~
2022 Cam Maintenance
Fund Drive Update
Hi everyone!

First, before I forget - if you've been meaning to send in a donation to help us get our cams ready for the coming season - you're in luck! We still have a ways to go - and here's a link to our donations page:

If you have made a donation - thank you so much! We've raised almost $5000, which will be a big help as we rush to clean the cams and do routine (and some non-routine) maintenance at our nest sites.

If you're a bit curious what this is about - here's a quick summary:
  • one of the two straps holding the CloseUp cam over our White Rock nest has broken; we want to get a team with a lift to the nest to secure the cam and also clean it and the North cam in a neighboring tree
  • one of the cameras at our Harrison Mills nest has stopped working and the other has been going offline for weeks at a time; we want to repair or replace the cam that has stopped working, and possibly replace the cam that works intermittently, and also check the onsite wiring in case that's a factor in the outages
  • the cam at the French Creek nest stopped working in December; it's a new cam, so we're hoping it's something simple like a loose wire that could be fixed while the eagles are away
  • the Surrey Reserve cams need cleaning; we are very happy that it appears that is all they need this year - but we do want someone to check the cams to make sure nothing is beginning to give way
  • the tree holding our Delta 2 nest is dying and branches are beginning to fall off (including one that was holding one of the two cameras there); happily our GoFundMe campaign and a few private donations will cover the installation of a new sturdy nest on a pole and two new cameras, but there will almost certainly be a few things that were not included in the original estimate.
And - we're under a deadline. The eagles may begin to return as early as mid-September, so we want all the work to be completed by September 15th.

One way to help is to adopt one or more of our nests for next year with a donation of $250 or more per nest - and we are thrilled that we already have 19 nest adoptions for the 2022-2023 nesting season! Thank you!

Another thing that helps us all year long is our monthly donor program - those donations help with the monthly expenses for things like the server that hosts this forum, as well as a fairly substantial internet bill.

And if you're thinking that you'd like to donate, but really can't afford to do any of those right now - we have over 1000 members, and a lot more people who check in from time to time to see what's happening with their favorite eagles or osprey or other critters - and if even a small percent of them (of you!) could give $25 or $50 - we would be very close to our goal!

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me or email [email protected] if you have other questions or concerns.

And if you can - please help.

Thank You!

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:00 am

SATURDAY, AUGUST 27, 2022

Member since May 9, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:15 pm

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 2022

Popping in briefly to mention that I have been checking the cam from time to time, and haven't seen anything eagle-like. Today's guest appearance was by a black squirrel - I didn't take a s'cap.

Because SM and SF are a new pair, we don't know when to expect them back - but Sur and Res generally put in an appearance September 25-26, so that seems a good time to start paying closer attention.

Have a good day, everyone!

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:07 am

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2022

Member since May 9, 2006

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:22 am

Good morning SR friends! It looks like the little black squirrel JudyB mentioned yesterday made another appearance this morning. Cute little ball of floof.

Living in the Fraser Valley, I'm used to seeing and hearing Eagles all day every day, so their absence is greatly noticed! One pair I monitor from the ground who nest along the Fraser River, had not left as of this past Thursday which makes me scratch my head a little because they fledged no young this year. I saw them both perched in their nest tree. The Fraser River happens to be full of salmon so maybe that's why? :dunno:
Attachments
212.jpg
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:59 pm

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2022

Member since May 9, 2006

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:59 am

Good morning SR friends, and hello Nightowl 🙂

The north cam is frozen, and I've submitted a report. Look how pretty the bay water looks this morning.
Attachments
217.jpg

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”