Redding, CA - 2018 - Bald Eagle Cam

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Re: Redding, CA - 2018 - Bald Eagle Cam

Post by Eaglewoman » Wed May 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Redding Eaglet Update:

Wow!!!! What an exciting and eventful couple of days we have had here with our beloved Redding Eagle Family!!! We are all exhausted & exhilarated, but definitely on Cloud 9 right now!!!!
Seeing Liberty arrive at 7:10 am this morning & begin to figure out how to get into the nest & then start feeding her babies was like watching a dream come true!!!!! That is exactly what we wanted to see happen!!!!

We have so many people to thank, so many people who dropped whatever they were doing & without question stepped up to help our Redding Eagles! We are so lucky to live in a Community that embraces our eagles as if they were family members! Which at this point, they kind of are! :)

As I have explained to several people, it takes a Village to save an eagle, or in this case, 2 eaglets! We have done 3 Eagle Rescues in the past several years, and each & every time I am amazed at how willing people are to help us without question!

We certainly could not have done this without Marily Woodhouse from Defiance Canyon Raptor Rescue! She drove down from Manton at 6:45pm on Monday night to help us capture River & Sky & took them home to keep them safe & sound & hydrated & fed! She brought the eaglets back down yesterday afternoon in great shape & much to her surprise, she was the one who was lifted up on a Lift to place the eaglets in the Nesting Platform!

Rick White & Charles & Kevin & Roger & all of his awesome Grounds Crew have been absolutely fantastic throughout this whole ordeal! They were the ones who heard the branch break & saw the nest fall to the ground! They immediately contacted me to get the ball rolling! They were the ones who built & installed the temporary Nest Platform out of materials they had on hand in just a few hours!

Pete Figuera, from Fish & Wildlife dropped everything to go assess the situation and advise us on the best course of action!

David Hancock from Hancock Wildlife, spoke to Kit & I on Monday night and gave us the parameters of what a nest platform needed to be, and many other valuable pointers and things to be aware of!

Karen Scheuerman from Tehama Wildlife is always my first phone call when things like this happen! Her calm & steady nature are just what I need to calm me down & help me to begin making the calls I need to make!

Thank you to each & everyone of you for being there & doing whatever it took to make this happen! Liberty & Spirit & River & Sky are reunited again because of each of YOU!

And, thank you to each of you for your concern & support!

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Wed May 23, 2018 1:11 pm

This was the MOST glorious sight I have ever seen this morning!!!!

At 7:10am, Kit spotted Liberty fly in and land in a nearby pine tree!!!!!
lib lands near nest-2.jpg

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Wed May 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Okay, wrong! This sight was actually the MOST GLORIOUS SIGHT EVER!!!!

Liberty feeding her eaglets!

lib feeds eaglets.jpg

RitaR
Topic Assistant

Post by RitaR » Wed May 23, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi Terri. Your post explaining all of how this came about brought tears to my eyes. You have a wonderful community there that went over and above to save these two precious eaglets. You are right - that photo of Liberty in to feed them is indeed the more glorious sight ever. So happy for all of you there, and especially for this eagle family.

Group hug to all involved. :grhug:

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Wed May 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Thanks Rita & Karen & Darlene & JudyB & Phil & everyone who was praying & pulling for our Redding Eagle Family! :rh:

It's been a wild ride the past few days for sure! Sorry I haven't been able to post much about it, but will do soon! I am pretty wiped out from it all, it's still kind of a blur because it all happened so fast!!! I got the call at 5:30pm on Monday and the eaglets were back in their newly built platform nest by 3:00 pm Tuesday! That was fast work for sure! And, Liberty was in feeding them at 7:20 am this morning as if nothing had ever happened! It's pretty surreal, honestly!

The platform nest certainly is not perfect Karen, we know that for sure! But, it was such a relief to see Liberty figure out how to get down to it this morning and to be able to feed River & Sky in there! Pete Figuera from Fish & Wildlife chose the height & location for the platform, saying that he mainly just wanted them off the ground to keep predators away. Putting it higher would have been ideal, but he wanted it all done quickly, and agreed with David that the babies needed to be returned to the area as soon as possible! Rick the grounds crew supervisor put stakes & rope around the area this morning, and we expressed our concerns about golfers getting up too close! Pete was going to go back down there too and look at the finished product because he had to leave before it was completely built. He was going to discuss some other safety precautions with Rick too! We will be monitoring them closely for sure!

I had to teach on Tuesday, went on a field trip with my 5th graders, so I wasn't able to be there while the platform was being built. I couldn't give any input on it, but Kit was there & did the best she could! I gave her the notes I took from our talk with David so she had that with her anyway!

I arrived before the eaglets were placed in the platform and helped with that part! Kit got to hold the eaglets and I don't even think it has even sunk in for her yet that she had River & Sky in her arms!!! I was inches away from them, but Marily told us to not look them directly in the eye so I couldn't really stare at them or admire them up close! When you are so focused & concerned for the well being of the eagles in situations like this, that's all you can really think about! You dream of being that close to them, but you just can't appreciate it when you are in a crisis like that!

Tomorrow is my last day with students, so my schedule will be more flexible from here on out! I am also retiring from teaching this year, so I will have even more time to spend with our Redding Eagle Family and other eagle related activities! :thumlft: :thumlft: :thumlft:

Let me share this video with you that I will warn you, may bring tears to your eyes. I have so much respect for Wildlife Rehabbers, and Marily Woodhouse who helped us with this rescue is one in a million! Her love & admiration for raptors is so obvious as you watch her say goodbye & good luck to our beautiful babies after she gently placed them in their new nesting platform yesterday afternoon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g3rIs_TZMY

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 pm

Here are a few more videos of River & Sky in the nest platform, and one of Liberty circling the nest area with a coot to feed to her eaglets. It was kind of sad watching her circle and circle as she tried to figure out how the heck to get down that low and into that nest platform! But, she finally landed on the ground near the platform and then flew to a really low branch on an Oak Tree nearby. She seemed to make a plan from there and the next thing we knew she was in the nest with her babies! Oh happy day!!!!!!

River & Sky in new temporary nest platform on Tuesday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy21sRy80Tc

Mama Liberty circling the nest area trying to figure out how to get her prey to her babies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60TwfoO5qsE

*(Note: My videos are taken in HD so if you click on the "gear" icon at the bottom of the video, you can improve the "Quality" of the video up to 720HD or up to 1080HD)

RitaR
Topic Assistant

Post by RitaR » Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Hi Terri! Oh wow! Thank you so much for posting the videos. It truly was great to see River and Sky put in the new nest box. They seem to be enjoying it in the second video. Seeing Liberty soaring was amazing! Very happy for Liberty and Spirit to have their babies back. Looking forward to seeing more photo's and video's.

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Merci Terri for the great videos and that beautiful real story
It warms so much my heart
All the Family (as you said is supporting your great team)
:ty: , :bravo: :grhug:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Thu May 24, 2018 7:18 am

You are so welcome Rita & Phil! :huggie: I am so glad you enjoyed the videos! I have a longer one(6 minutes but for some reason it didn't upload? So I will work on that one later! Off to school now!)

Here are a few more videos of our wonderful Mama Liberty feeding her babies yesterday at 7:20 am...

*Note: These videos are taken in HD, so at the bottom of the screen click on the "gear" icon and click on "Quality" and you can raise the quality up to 720HD or 1080HD for a better picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0utc26RZNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zI4PiPHBaA

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Fri May 25, 2018 6:49 am

Thanks Karen! Here is the video of when Liberty FIRST arrived in the new Nesting Platform!!!

Here is a nice, long video(6 minutes) of when Liberty first arrived in the new Nesting Platform on Tuesday morning at 7:20 am. To say there was great relief is an understatement!

I set up my point & shoot camera on a tripod & zoomd in close to see the eagles across the 5th fairway from the Nesting Platform. I hit record and walked away from the camera in hopes that our conversations would not be picked up. But, as I watched this video I realized just how sensitive the microphone on those cameras area! I also was walking closer to the camera every so often to take a peek myself! So, I apologize to you in advance for that! You certainly can hear the great relief in my voice, but I didn't realize it was picking all of that up. Luckily you didn't have to see me doing the "Happy Dance" on the 4th Fairway! :mihihi:

Rick from Riverview had come over to chat with Kit & I and hear the great news about Liberty coming in to feed them! And, then I HAD to call Marily and tell her the good news right away so she knew she didn't have to make another trip down to Redding!

Rest assured, the eagles are not hearing what you are hearing in the video since we were a good distance away from them! They continued to go about their business, which was the wonderful Mama Liberty feeding & tending to her eaglets!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed seeing Liberty coming in to this unusual Nesting Platform on Tuesday morning!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDG4z2apgSo

RitaR
Topic Assistant

Post by RitaR » Fri May 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi Terri! Oh my gosh that was awesome to watch! It was nice to hear your voice too. Could just hear the happiness in your voice as Liberty starting feeding. Thank you for posting this video. Really enjoyed it.

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Sat May 26, 2018 12:17 pm

:huggie: Thank you Karen & Rita! I'm so glad that didn't take away from the moment for you guys!

At least you didn't have to see me doing the "Happy Dance" on the 4th Fairway because that happened!!!! :mihihi:

Christian interviewed Kit & I yesterday for his live youtube broadcast about the Redding Nest Collapse Story. Folks asked some great questions and we go into a lot more detail about the entire rescue and the exciting week we had here in Redding, CA!

*Note: Christian accidentally had it on mute in the beginning, so it is not your computer! It goes on for several minutes until he finally realizes he didn't have the sound on, so hang in there through that part!

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paB0WMjKZpI

RitaR
Topic Assistant

Post by RitaR » Sat May 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Thank you Terri for posting that video. It was really great to hear the story and see more photo's of River and Sky. As to where they were when the nest fell. That was very interesting to watch. It was long but worth it.

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Sat May 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks Rita, glad you enjoyed that! I forgot to mention that it was really, really long!!! I had no idea it was going to go on that long! I had been at school all day & we did that at 5:00pm so I was ready to go home by the end of that! But, it was fun! Glad Kit was there with me which always makes things more fun!

Sue & I went down to check on the eagles this morning at 6am! Rick said we needed to be off the course by 8:00 so we had to get there early!

River & Sky looked great! They were a little soggy because it rained here in Redding all day yesterday and last night! It was still spitting a bit this morning when we went out there! But, both eaglets were still at the Nesting Platform, one of them likes to sit on the "rails" on the edge of the wood sides. I was wondering if that would be an issue for their feet to sit on something that isn't rounded like a branch? David had discussed potential "pressure point" injuries with Kit & I before the platform was made, but he was referring more to the surface of the nest platform. Karen, can you check with him to see what he thinks about the rails & their feet? I'm not sure what we can do at this point, but I just want to make sure that won't cause them any foot injuries?!?

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Sat May 26, 2018 8:03 pm

That is one thing that is so tough about doing rescues, it is often not the perfect solution. So, I heard back from Marily about my concerns with the eaglet that sits on the railing a lot & hear is what she said...

"Yes, i've been looking at that. River seems to sit on that plywood edge a lot of the time, which is not good. The narrow pressure can cause bumblefoot, which is a broad term for any foot infections. Worst case with feet infections is that if the infection gets into the bone, it can kill the bird. I'll call Pete on Tues. and discuss it with him. I'd hate to disturb the nest more, if we're even allowed to, but it could be a problem."

Now, we are only weeks away from these guys fledging, they are 9 weeks old now. So, I'm not sure how long it would take to get "bumble foot"? Also, does any have anyone suggestions if we did have to go up to the Platform on what we could put over the rails? Or should we remove that one wall completely? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated! We will be discussing these with the biologist, Pete Figuera with Fish & Wildlife. With the holiday weekend, it will be Tuesday before we can take any action.

Here are a few photos I took this morning of the eaglets...
soggy eaglets-2.jpg
soggy eaglets-7.jpg

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”