Post by RitaR » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:52 pm

8:51 pm The IR just came on.
The IR just came on.JPG

RitaR
Topic Assistant

Re: Trio of Eagles 2017-2018

Post by RitaR » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:02 pm

END OF SEASON NOTE

Well this has been an interesting season. When the last season ended we didn’t know what might happen. Would the Valor’s stay together without Hope? Or would they go their separate way to find a mate? As luck would have it they did stay together and they found Starr! Starr is a very beautiful fierce eagle. The Valor’s did well in choosing Starr. Perhaps Starr did well in choosing the Valor’s.

Starr would be a first time Eagle Mom this year. She had two eggs. Orion (as we named her on this thread only) hatched on March 20th. She is called E1 by the Stewards. Little Sirius (or E2) joined her in hatching on March 21st. Unfortunately we lost little Sirius on April 18th. It’s never easy to lose an eaglet. This was extremely hard to watch and it truly was heartbreaking.

We still had Orion and watched her grow with the loving care of her 3 parents. She truly is a big beautiful eaglet. Unfortunately the bugs on the nest got to be more than she could tolerate any more and she took the big leap on May 19th at the age of 8 ½ weeks. A bit too early to fledge. She is being well taken care of by her parents down by the river. Was really hoping to see her on the nest again, even if the visit was brief one. Guess that isn’t going to happen. She is happy down by the river. Hopefully she is cooler and bug free. We truly have missed not seeing her. Orion may you spread those big beautiful wings of yours soon and soar the skies. We wish you a very long, healthy, and happy eagle life.

The Stewards have announced they will be turning off the cam tomorrow. I'll leave this thread open for a couple of days if anyone wishes to leave and end of the season note.

A very special Thank You goes out to Cheryl, Sue, and Sandy who have been here to document the nest for the last two years. Thank you Kim for joining us this year.

I want to thank Sandy for making this photo.
thank you 1.jpg

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:06 am

Thank you, Rita, for the wonderful closing note for the end of this season. Your words help me to recall all of the events of this season with the Trio eagles. Remembering, when I first had a sighting of Starr and had high hopes the Valors picked a good mate. And that they did! She was amazing as she learned to be a fabulous eagle mom. The Valors were such great teachers as they showed her how to take care of the little ones. And the Valors…oh, their crazy antics were a joy to watch. Valor 1 with his constant chatter…fun to see. Valor 2 with his seriousness to make sure all was OK with Orion and Sirius. And Starr when she absolutely wanted nest duty. She certainly had her way of getting the Valors out of the way. And oh the sadness when we lost little Sirius. Believe Sirius as he flew free of this world was watching over Orion when she made the decision to fly to free herself of the maddening gnats. Yeah, one of those times when trust the eagles comes into play in that all will be Okay.

And on that date when Orion flew, I never imaged I would learn to really listen to the sounds of the eagle. Through Orion’s daily squees and chatter, she definitely is doing great as she sounds so strong. Again, the Valors and Starr are continuing on with their parenting skills to teach her the eagle ways. The Valors and Starr persevered through all kinds of weather from snow to rain to horrible winds at the nest to protect her and sometimes putting themselves in harm way to do so. Yeah, they worked their tail feathers off bringing food to help her grow strong. This warms my heart.

With these thoughts, today is the last day I will get to hear those sweet sounds of Orion calling for attention from her parents. Today, I am listening for those last recorded Orion sounds before the cams are turned off. In my heart of hearts, know she will one day soar high and free to become a magnificent eagle she is destined to be. And on some level, I have to believe the Trio will be proud to send a beautiful juvenile into the wide world to carry on the eagle ways.

One final thought as the season comes to a close, Sue, Cheryl, Rita, and Kim, have so enjoyed this season with you. It has been a journey of some truly deep sadness but mostly wonderful joys for sure. So, I will close with some s’caps from March 20th when finally get a first glimpse of Orion.
2018-03-20_15-45-15.jpg
2018-03-20_15-58-12.jpg
2018-03-20_12-43-15.jpg
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Thank you Rita, Cheryl, Sandy, Carole, and Kim for being here this season and capturing this beautiful family for all to enjoy.

I learned a lot this season from this eagle family. Starr, as she learned how to feed her babies. What patience she had with herself, taking all the time she needed to learn how to make those tiny pieces for her babies and how to feed it to them. No stress at all as she took her time while we all waited and waited until she finally got it. And the Valors just knowing that they would have to do the feedings until Starr got comfortable. Again, they both had such patience with her, even though she may have been tough on them at the beginning. And watching Starr as her personality seemed to change from a fierce eagle into such a sweet loving mom. I still can’t get the picture out of my head of her laying with Orion on that last day.

Losing Sirius, and watching each of them seeming to take their time on the nest to say their last good-byes. If they don’t have feelings I don’t know who does.

And finally Orion - She learned from each one of her parents, taking in everything that they showed her. They taught her well and as we watched her, without once branching, she took the biggest leap of her life and succeeded against all odds. And Starr and the Valors didn’t stress but just kept on doing what they do best, take care of and raise their baby to survive, which she has.

Soar high big girl and enjoy your great adventure!

Sweet Eagle Dreams to this beautiful Eagle Family, and also to this great group of eagle lovers that I have been lucky enough to join with to continue learning about the bald eagle
2018-05-19 16_57_19-Greenshot.jpg
7EEEC96E-B390-493D-B775-4F511F63988D.jpeg
Last edited by SueB on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheryldavis
Topic Assistant

Post by Cheryldavis » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:02 am

Thank you Rita, Sue, Sandy, Carole, and Kim for being here this season and capturing all the many antics.

As everyone have said, it has been a sad journey willing Sirius to make it and then having his body used to provide food was a low, but with the Gnats, perhaps this year was not the one for him.her to survive. I believe in the spirit of the eagle and Sirius has watched over and helped Orion in her adventures. My abiding image of Orion is of being by the water, where she can be cool and happy. She looks a happy eaglet and she will be a strong one just like her mother.

Starr has proven to be a wonderful mother, her practicing on sticks and trying to get the nerve to feed her babies herself was heartwarming and the sweetest thing ever. I was willing her on and so proud when at last she did it. To have witnessed the magic of a new mate and new mother was wonderful.

Valor one and Valor two are two very wonderful eagles, Valor one chatty, Valor fussy, though less so this year, with Starr trying to establish herself. I love how the two Valor's happily took nesting duties and competed to be able to do so, shoving each other off.
The Trio nest is a special one and I hope that the next season they raise all their eaglets without as much drama as the last two years have seen.

Cheryl.
"If you hang out with chickens, you are going to cluck and if you hang out with eagles, you are going to fly! " Dr Steve Maraboli

budgycac

Post by budgycac » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Thank you all for giving all of us out here the opportunity to witness this amazing family. I am here every year. I don't post much, but I am near and watching. This year was a hard one and I look forward to next year. This nest seems to have tough times every year. May be next year will be their turn for happiness and antics. I don't humanize these beautiful raptors. It demeans them. They know who they are and what needs to be done. I learn from them and apply it to my life. Makes you a better human being. Again thank you and see you nest season. :grhug: :brknhrt:

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Today at 11:46 am, Starr made a visit to the nest. She looks beautiful as ever. Spent some time just pulling at nesting materials.
2018-06-21_11-49-53.jpg
2018-06-21_11-50-08.jpg
2018-06-21_11-50-47.jpg
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Starr's visit to the nest.
2018-06-21_11-51-03.jpg
2018-06-21_11-51-15.jpg
2018-06-21_11-51-28.jpg

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:56 pm

And then then she flew.
2018-06-21_11-51-41.jpg
2018-06-21_12-36-19.jpg
Oh and I remember hearing our sweet girl during this time. Know she is doing well as she sure has a strong clear voice!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Thank you all for the wonderful job you did here this year - this is a different nest arrangement than most to start with, and this year, with the addition of a new female, was more different than most - I am so glad it was so well documented!

Good wishes to Starr, the Valors, Orion, and all who posted here - may you all have safe travels until we meet again.

Kimf

Post by Kimf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:56 am

I'd like to thank everyone here for making me feel welcome and included. It was a big step for me to make to come down off my perch (sorry if I'm mixing metaphors), and I'm so glad that I did. This is only my second year of eagle watching, but I experienced a wide range of eagle life. And with the best people! I wish Orion a wonderful eagle life. I hope Starr and the Valors have a great vacation, stay safe and come back for another family saga. To everyone who watches/posts, have a great year, stay safe also. Looking forward to 2019!
Kim

RitaR
Topic Assistant

Post by RitaR » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:46 pm

Hello everyone. Well the time has come to close this thread. The eagles haven't been back in days. We hope that Orion is with them and enjoying learning to do eagle things. I wish to thank Sue, Sandy and Cheryl for all the time and the wonderful documentation that they put to this amazing Trio nest this season. They have all written some beautiful End of the Season notes. Hope that you will scroll up to read them. Thank you too for joining us Kim, and also rainna and Marianne.

Wishing you all a wonderful summer with some eagle sighting of your own.

Will close this with the picture made for us by Sandy.
thank you 1.jpg

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”