SW Florida Eagle Cam 2022~2023

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

Journi
Topic Assistant

Re: SW Florida Eagle Cam 2022~2023

Post by Journi » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:22 am

:eag: Mary - Here are a couple of s'caps that shows the "V Tree" location.
(I captured and labeled these s'caps, from the years past, for the forum.)

11 6 21 V tree id.png
704a 16 vtre hctre id.jpg

🌴 (And Vicki ---> Like always...I hope to see your summertime nest tree visit videos soon! :thumlft:
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I hope you are doing well!)
🌺
Click to enlarge s'caps
Beautiful Harriet is my avatar ~ HW Member since 2015
Celebrating E14's short but beautiful life while here on Earth in Season 8 - SWFEC
(Please avoid rodenticides to control pests!)

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:23 am

For some reason I was not even aware that there was something called the V tree. :puzz: Thanks for clearing that up.

Whskrs/Vicki usually puts all of her summer videos at the beginning of the new thread after the opening posts but I would be happy to open this one for her if she wants to put them here. I will ask her. I can't wait to see Lady Hawk's videos again as well. :thumlft:

Here is another short video from Androcat showing the female who seems to be enjoying her time in M15's territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbJ-tN4GoGw , :vid:

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:59 pm

I found 2 things today. The first is a post from the SWFEC FB page and I just took a scap of it. That part of the nest tree looks pretty sad..

SW   FB post-no cam   8-5-23.jpg
_____________________________________________________________________________________

And the other was a video by androcat. It's mostly of the female eagle who has been seen in the area and a few other things--watch to find out what! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2GvIBsfIaQ . :vid:

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:38 pm

I thought you all might like to see what I found on FB this morning. What a nice thing for Mohammed's group to do! Of course it is with the Pritchett's permission.

Mom Harriet, Dad M15, E9 & Siblings’ Fan Club
Heather Maxwell ·

·
Good Afternoon Eagle Brothers & Sisters,
On behalf of our group, a plaque to honor Queen Harriet has been purchased. Once the Pritchett’s receive the plaque it will be installed on the Eagle Statue at the front gate. We hope to have a date/time arranged in advance for those that want to be there. Of course, there will be photos and videos posted for those of us who cannot be there. We expect with processing & Shipping to be approximately 2 weeks. We will let everyone know the day and time for installation. Representing our group will be Admin Debbie Nosse and Brenda/Ray Lloyd. All those interested in attending are more than welcome.

Anything over and above the cost of the plaque will be donated to The Audubon Center for Birds of Prey & Southwest Florida Eagle Cam Foundation.

Sorry I can't post the donation address here.
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:40 pm

This evening I found a video on FB done by Androcat on August 11th. No eagles but a good look at the nest tree area, a green heron and a great looking wood stork as well as lots of time with the horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoYOKmvDUE . :vid:

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:30 pm

This could be bad news for our eagles! Look how close to the nest someone is putting a car wash with all of it's traffic and noise! Thanks to Androcat for the map. You can see in the above video the trucks and the start of construction. THEY SAY they will abide by all laws regarding bald eagles --- RIGHT! They are already too close. :hlp: :tt:

SWF   bad news-car wash.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:56 am

Hello everybody! Here is the latest video from Androcat. We see the female eagle--she sure is patient--and a few other things. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra11Agz0qlo . :vid:

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:59 am

Here is another video from Androcat. M15 is back on the tree with the female who has been in the area all summer. Will they become our new pair? Time will tell! :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15jN8EuzleY . :vid:

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:09 am

I want you all to know that every single memorial plaque that was dedicated to our fallen eagle family member has been removed by SOMEBODY from the church side fence. I was informed of this by an administrator of one of the FB pages for the nest who is a local. Who would stoop so low? Ginnie and Andy Pritchett have been informed. I have copied below what I received.

I have some disturbing news to report to all of you.

A week ago I visited the nest site and noticed two plaques were missing from the fence, our group plaque and one other group plaque. Andy Pritchett was notified.

As of today, around 8 plaques now have been removed from the fence on the church side.

I have been in contact with Andy Pritchett and according to Andy, the Pritchett's have not removed any plaques, Ginnie McSpadden Pritchett is also now aware of the theft, SWFLEC Administration, and Hancock Forum have been informed.

The plaques were remembrance plaques of our Fallen Eagles, Harriet, Ozzie, and their offspring that have passed. It took tools to remove those plaques so there was no damage to the fence from it. A commemorative bench has also been moved from it's original location.

Although the plaques are on the church side of the fence, the fence is property of the Pritchett's therefore anything on that fence belongs to them.

This is outright theft and being investigated.

Member since July, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:49 pm

What a sad world this can be at times - hoping that somehow the plaques can be recovered and this can be turned into a learning moment.

I came here to thank you all for the great coverage here this season - and to thank the SWFEC members who have donated to support Hancock Wildlife and the expenses of the forum - Thank You!

2023 Cam Maintenance (& More)
Annual Fund Drive
Update

Hi everyone - and thanks so much to those of you who have donated to our annual fund drive! Thanks to you, we have raised $5,373 - and are getting close to our goal of $7000!

As you may know, the focus of our fund drive is to help with the maintenance expenses for our cams - and as I am typing this, David Hancock, cam wizard Ken, climbers and other team members are on their way to Harrison Mills to replace the two older cams there which are no longer streaming.

However - Hancock Wildlife Foundation is more than just our live streaming cams. We also are trying to be a repository for data about other nests with cams and nests with local observers. Many of the nests that have threads here also have active Chats and Facebook pages - which are really wonderful for communicating with other viewers while watching, and the Facebook pages are a quick way to share a great screenshot with others who are interested. However, most chats only go back a few hours - so there's no quick way to read about what happened three days ago - and photos and observations posted to Facebook are generally there permanently, but they're not chronological. Looking back a month later to see when a chick fledged can be a challenge.

We currently have threads for more than 20 other North American eagle cams, at least 15-20 nests without cams in BC, and a scattering of eagle, osprey, hawk and other nests from around the world.

We had to move our forum to a larger server this year - we host over 665,000 posts and have more than 1.2 million attachments, most of which are screenshots of eagles and other wildlife - and that number is growing daily. We have over 1400 members, and while this is generally the inactive time for our North American birds, about a hundred of you have checked in over the past month or so.

Server space, and the tech support that keeps it all running smoothly 99.9% of the time, is also a large expense - so even if you're not especially interested in our cams, if you find the forum interesting and useful, or like the ability to send PMs to other members about the nests you're following - please consider making a donation to support our general expenses.

Monthly donations are easy to set up:
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • change the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly."
  • enter the amount of your monthly donation
  • feel free to use the message box to say which nest(s) you follow or provide other feedback
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
Monthly donations can be cancelled at any time, and by donating through CanadaHelps, those in Canada will automatically get the tax receipt they need at the end of the year - and even though I'm in the US, I normally use CanadaHelps because I find it simpler than PayPal, and like that the tiny fee that's subtracted either way is used to help non-profits like Hancock Wildlife receive online donations. That said - you can also set up monthly donations with PayPal.

I will also mention that while we focus on adopting our HWF nests with cams, you can adopt other nests we cover, with the understanding that the money goes to support the forum, not to maintenance of those cams; two people adopted the Southwest Florida eaglecam nest for this year (2023), and I think other nests have been adopted in the past.

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

A big
Thank You!
to all who have donated,
and to our wonderful zoomer teams,
and to all who help in other ways,
posting observations, screenshots, videos, and so much more.

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:03 pm

Thank you JudyB for that information. I'm afraid there are a lot of folks who might think the Forum is free. Please donate even a little if you can.

Here is a not very good screenshot of all but one of those missing plaques from the SWFEC nest. I may have a better one later.
:(

SWF   Missing plaques plus 1 more  8-26-23.jpg

I apologize but I have to correct myself. All of these were not stolen but a lot of them were. Ozzie's plaque is there but all bent up--the plaque and the screws. Somebody sure tried to pry it off

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:05 pm

No word on the missing signs yet but we do have another video from Androcat to watch from 8/28. One month until the cams! :hooray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymLEbR7z04 . :vid:

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:57 pm

M15 and the female visitor certainly seem to be getting along. I wonder if she will be the new lady? Here is another video of the two of them from Androcat for us to enjoy. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTq5pPeXCEQ . :vid:

I will soon be setting up the new thread for 2023/24 as we don't want to miss anything. I will most likely open it as soon as I'm done setting it up.I :)

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:11 pm

Hi all--this is pretty neat. I received a new video from Lady Hawk this evening that she made from photos taken by MLiz the photographer. I have permission to post that video in HWF so here it is---ENJOY!!

M15 (stickman) seems anxious to get busy on nestorations
SWF   stickman  2   9-3-23.jpg

SWFL Eagles 💗 A NEW BEGINNING! M15 & THE NEW LADY EAGLE FRIEND 💗 Photography By MLiz Photos! 9.7.23

:vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHlwSU3y4uA . :vid:

Look at the female watching M15--she has a lot to learn
SWF   F23 watching   9-7-23.jpg

M15 is looking great after his summer break
SWF   M15 looks great   9-7-23.jpg

Info from Lady Hawk -- Sep 7, 2023

These are a collection of photos taken by MLiz Photos recently at the SWFEC nest with M15 & his new lady eagle friend. They have been seen at Yonder pond across the street, at the nest tree and in the pasture as M15 is starting to gather sticks and bring them back to the nest for the upcoming season. The female has not brought in any sticks yet but she is watching & observing M15 keenly. She is a young beauty & was first seen with M15 around May 30th on the cell tower and has been with him ever since. Some photographers have given her a nickname of "Maybelline" but that is not her official name. If she and M15 become a couple this season, the Pritchett's will give her a fitting name.

You will see M15's alula feather circled in the video. The alula can include one or more small flight feathers depending on the species of raptor, and they can be independently controlled and manipulated during flight to augment lift and aid maneuverability, similar to slats on an aircraft wing.

In addition, you will see the feathers the female has molted and are growing in on her wings. When an eagle loses a feather on one wing, it will automatically shed the same feather on the opposite wing. She also has molted in a couple rectrices (tail feathers). Hopefully this new female will be the one that wins the heart of M15 this season ♥ Thank you for watching!

Many thanks to MLiz Photos for giving me permission to showcase her amazing photography & provide this update.

Is she the one? She is a pretty female
SWF   is she the one   9--7-23.jpg

To see the highlights below, please click on the timestamps to advance to that portion of the video.

TIMESTAMPS
00:00 Opening
00:47 M15 bringing in sticks
01:28 Photos of M15 & Alula feather
01:51 New female photos
02:09 Female molting feathers

Video created by Lady Hawk

Photo credits: MLiz Photos

Could this be our new pair? We should know soon.
SWF   M15+new lady   9-7-23.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:36 am

Here is the latest video from Androcat. M15 and the persistant female do seem to be enjoying each other's company. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw6URsp-yXI . :vid:

Member since July, 2006

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”