Zoo Miami Eagle Cam 2021-2022

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Zoo Miami Eagle Cam 2021-2022

Post by JudyB » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:12 pm

Continuing....

Folks on Chat said that R1 fledged around March 20 and R2 had a somewhat forced fledge a few days later, mentioning something about fishing line and a rescue. With that - and their suggestion that I try the Wildlife Rescue of Dade County facebook page (https://m.facebook.com/wildliferescuemiamidade/posts/), I found the rest of the story!

Older eaglet R1 fledged on March 21 at 8:03 am (79 days old). Link to the Facebook post and a video is here (not posting a picture because we'd need their permission, and the link is there if anyone wants to watch the video).

Observers noticed late on March 25th that R2 seemed to be trying to fly (or at least do some branching) but was being held back by what appeared to be fishing line wrapped around one of the eaglet's legs (probably brought into the nest in a fish the adults delivered for food). The folks from Wildlife Rescue of Dade County got permission to go into the nest the next morning to free the eaglet - but as they approached in a ladder truck supplied by the local fire/rescue, R2 gathered all their strength and flew off, breaking the strong monofilament line in the process. Time of the unplanned fledge was 9:24 am on March 26 (83 days old) (link to post with video).

But that's not the end of the story. There was still quite a bit of monofilament line wrapped around her foot (they are using feminine pronouns, so I'll do that as well), and the folks from the Wildlife Rescue found her in the back yard of a house near the nest the evening of March 26, and were able to capture her. Happily they were able to remove all the line, and she had no serious injuries; they kept her overnight to make sure everything was stable, and the next day the firefighters returned with their truck and she was placed back in her nest - and happily she didn't panic and jump out again. She calmly watched them leave - and Mom Rita returned to the nest to check on her as soon as the equipment was back down on the ground (link to post with video).

It sounded as if it was at least several days before R2 tried flying again, but at this point, both are flying around, though they've been on the nest when I've checked while doing this research.

Hoping all the eagles and people involved have a much more peaceful remainder of the nesting season!

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Post by ondabebe » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:00 am

2022-06-12
It's been a 100 days since I last posted here (busy with a few other nest) and WOW R2 is now 161 Days old and still at the nest. I think she going for the record at staying home. LOL

True to form, does not matter how long one of the kids stay, Mom (Rita) is still there bringing in food deliveries for R2 like this morning
© 2022 Wildlife Rescue of Dade County
Attachments
2022-06-12  002.jpg
2022-06-12  003.jpg
2022-06-12  004.jpg

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Post by ondabebe » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:01 am

Cont'd
Attachments
2022-06-12  006.jpg