Kismet Industrial Park - LE 092B - Cape Coral, FL 2020

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

SueB
Zoomer

Kismet Industrial Park - LE 092B - Cape Coral, FL 2020

Post by SueB » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:45 am

This is a new nest for me this year.....we have been watching the nest since October 3, 2020 but had not seen any eagles in the area or on the tower, which they use for nesting......until our recent visit on 1/3/2021.....was saying to my husband that this would be the last visit as the person I report to said they may have abandoned the nest because last season was not successful.....so.....as we arrive we would see someone was perched at the top of the tower.....Yay!!!

So here is the info on this particular nest.....The nest is located on a tower in the NE section of Cape Coral in a small industrial park area. This area in the NE section of Cape Coral is not as built up with homes as the other two nests I monitor, but does have one housing community just to the north.....the rest of the area has quite a few empty lots in between houses, so this area is still in a growing phase.

The map below shows the relation of this nest to the other nests that I monitor as well as the SWFL Nest (Harriett and M15). This new nest is shown with the purple asterisk. I did a quick check on the distances between the nests......from this particular nest to the SWFL nest it is approximately 8 miles away.....and from this nest to the other two nests that I monitor, it is 5 miles north of the Caloosa School nest, and around 11 miles north of the Old Golf Course nest.
Map2 1-5-2021.jpg
Here is a close up map showing where the tower/nest is located in the industrial park. We can see a small pond just south of the tower. And not shown on this particular map is another small pond just to the north.
Kismet nest map.jpg
Here is a wider view of the nest area.....the area to the right of the nest is Yellow Fever Creek Preserve, so the eagles have plenty of places to go to perch and find nesting material. In addition, this map shows another pond or lake in the preserve, as well as some of the canals in the area. I think these would all be fresh water canals. This nest is not as close to the Caloosahatchee river as the other three nests so thinking the eagles would not use the river as a food source.
Kismet nest map2.jpg

SueB
Zoomer

Re: Kismet Industrial Park - LE 092B - Cape Coral, FL 2020

Post by SueB » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:24 am

1/3/2021 visit: I didn't get a full shot of the tower but this picture shows the top three levels of the tower. The adult was on the top left of the tower......the other arrow shows about where the nest is on that top level. We can only assume the nest is here because we could not see through the bottom of that platform like we could with the other levels. And after watching the eagle from one street we decided to go to other street to see if we could get a better view but as we pulled up there the eagle flew down to the nest platform and disappeared. Due to the height of the tower and the location of the nest on this tower it will be very difficult to see the activity on this nest unless the eagles are out on the tower. Not sure how we are going to see the eaglets as they grow but we will go each week to see what we can see.
Kismet nest - 1-3-2021.jpg

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:25 am

1/3/2021 continued: A few more shots, close up, of the eagle from a couple different angles
Kismet nest - 1-3-2021b.jpg
Kismet nest - 1-3-2021e.jpg
Kismet nest - 1-3-2021d.jpg

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:27 am

1/10/2013 nest visit - we visited the nest today and were surprised to see one of the adults lying down on the nest on the top platform of the tower.....I didn't think we would be able to see them. Last week we started watching from this one side and after going to the next street over the eagle had flown down to the platform and we could not see them....so had assumed that we would not see them from the other side and didn't even go back to look.....so now we know....here they are in plain daylight.....lying on the nest and now I guess we may be able to see the little babies once they hatch and are big enough to pop their heads up.......can't wait.

Just a couple pictures from two different angles....we didn't even go over to the other side since we were able to see the eagle from this one side. They didn't move while we were visiting and no other eagle was flying around or seen in the area.
1-10-2021a Kismet.jpg
1-10-2021 Kismet.jpg

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:05 am

Good Morning! We went to visit the nest yesterday and only saw one adult at the nest tower....they were perched up on one of the rails. Was a nice day in the mid 60's....cloudy though, but I guess the temp is good for the eagles if they want to take a break away from incubating...or who knows, maybe there are chicks there now, but unfortunately we could not see any yet. Here are a few pictures.

1/17/2021 visit:

This is the tower.....no other levels below.
Kismet 1-17-2021b.jpg
A close up of the top level.....the adult was on the top right side....the nest is pointed out with the left arrow. I checked all my pictures and did not see any movement in the nest area so will assume there are no chicks yet, but could be wrong.
Kismet 1-17-2021a.jpg
And this is the view from the other street so now the adult is on the left....the nest would be on the back side over to the right
Kismet 1-17-2021.jpg
That's it for this visit. Was hoping to at least see another adult but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe next week we will look around the area a little more and see if maybe the mate is perched nearby. We only looked at the closest trees and did not see anyone there.

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:23 am

1/24/2021 - Just getting around to posting pictures from last Sunday's nest visit.....What a surprise! After weeks of watching this nest and not seeing an adult until just a few weeks ago....I was in shock to see what I saw when we arrived.....at first I thought there was one eaglet on the left of the adult....but thought I was also seeing another one over to the right.....this tower is just so high and even with our good binoculars it was hard to see and confirm so had to go through my pictures and lo and behold....There were TWO eaglets up there and the one on the left was a pretty good size......just look how big! I can't even guess how old these eaglets are because this is the first time I am seeing them, but they are both dark. I think I am just barely seeing white tuft on top of their heads so....hmmmm....what age would that make them?.......Have added a s'cap from The Audubon.org website.....and based on this, I would guess these eaglets are between 5 & 6 weeks old.

Here are just two pictures showing most of the tower.....in this shot you would probably need to click on the picture and zoom in if you can to the top portion of the tower so that you can see the adult and eaglets....unfortunately in this first picture the eaglet on the right is behind a pole so hard to see them.....there is another dark bump to the right of the adult but I am pretty sure that is the adult's wing as it was bright and sunny out and most of the adults we saw this day were doing this to allow the eaglets some relief from the sun.
Kismet 1-24-2021a.jpg
In this 2nd picture you can actually see the eaglet on the right....at least their head....they must have been lying down and just had their head popped up to look over the side.
Kismet 1-24-2021.jpg
Here is the Audubon.org info......since I am seeing just a little white tuft on top of the head, I am guessing the eaglets are older than 4 weeks, but since we have not seen them before it's hard to guess if they could be up to 6 weeks old at this point. Can't wait to see these two flapping their wings!
2021-01-30 14_15_50-Window.jpg

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:49 am

1/30/2021 nest visit - We changed our visit to Saturday and later in the day this week to see if we would see some different activity. When we first arrived there were no adults at the nest tower....and no eaglets were seen......then one of the adults flew in and landed up on top of the tower....still no eaglets popped up
Kismet 1-30-2021.jpg
Kismet 1-30-2021a.jpg
Kismet 1-30-2021b.jpg

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:57 am

1/30/2021 nest visit cont'd - Shortly after the adult arrived though the eaglets popped up....I think in this first picture both are there, one in front of the other...can see a little sky showing through at the neck area of the eaglet in the back and I believe the other one is just in front of them. But I could be wrong and this other spot could be part of the wiring or something up there.
Kismet 1-30-2021c.jpg
Can see the one eaglet's back end here as they are bending over
Kismet 1-30-2021d.jpg
And here they are exercising their wings
Kismet 1-30-2021e.jpg
Kismet 1-30-2021f.jpg

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:02 am

1/30/2021 nest visit cont'd - here I am definitely seeing both eaglets on the nest area.....so hard to get good views of the eaglets while they are down on the nest....I can't wait to see them both doing lots of wingers and branching up higher on the tower
Kismet 1-30-2021h.jpg
After a bit the adult flew off the tower....can see one of the eaglets as they watch the adult fly away
Kismet 1-30-2021i.jpg
Kismet 1-30-2021k.jpg

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:35 am

1/30/2021 nest visit cont'd - the adult kept going until it passed over the trees and then dropped down behind them. We could hearing trilling from the eagle after they disappeared. Thought they would come back but we waited about 10 minutes and they did not come back.
Kismet 1-30-2021m.jpg
Kismet 1-30-2021n.jpg
After the adult was out of sight I caught this picture where I really think I am seeing two beaks...one behind the other (top two arrows)....and then another beak to the left. Will have to keep an eye on how many there really are here.
Kismet 1-30-2021o.jpg
And then one or two eaglets were up exercising their wings....the wings seem to be in odd positions so thinking it was two of them.
Kismet 1-30-2021p.jpg

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”