Kenai Cam Nest Thread 2021

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Re: Kenai Cam Nest Thread 2021

Post by Kitcat11848 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:06 pm

Thank you Bev. This is what I got from Scarlett Bairbelle, admin.for the FB friends of Kenai:
“Hopefully the eagles will nest there in the spring. We will probably know by the end of March. They did not use the nest in 2021 and went to a nest in the vicinity that does not have a cam. Lets keep our fingers crossed that they will return this year.”
I never got a city contact name
AKA: Marianne

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:03 pm

Kitcat11848 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:06 pm
Thank you Bev. This is what I got from Scarlett Bairbelle, admin.for the FB friends of Kenai:
“Hopefully the eagles will nest there in the spring. We will probably know by the end of March. They did not use the nest in 2021 and went to a nest in the vicinity that does not have a cam. Lets keep our fingers crossed that they will return this year.”
I never got a city contact name
Thanks so much Marianne .. Keeping good thoughts and :luck: for this nest .

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:48 pm

HI everyone I heard from my contact
Hi Beverley- Happy New Year to you, too! Sorry, I haven't been checking this email much. I won't know much until probably late March early April. There are eagles around but hard to say if they will deem the nest worthy. I sure hope so! Magpies decided that they would be the bird of choice in our yard and I can't stand them. The City of Kenai is planning on using the Cam if we have the birds. Hope all is well with you!

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:43 pm

Thank you Bev for that report from your contact. :luck: that a beautiful eagle pair will use the nest; would love to see Aurora back with a mate .

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:07 pm

THURSDAY APRIL 7 , 2022

Hi Everyone ..From my Contact

[Good Morning Beverley-
I'm not sure if it is just too early still or if we just are not going to see a nesting pair in our nest again. I witnessed two adults a week ago or so in nearby trees, probably scouting. In the past the adults build or fix the nest just a few days before the first egg and so it is still possible as we usually see babies the 20th of May or in the week before. We are still pretty cold. High 20's in the morning and we have lots of snow and ice. It has not had that Spring feel yet:( I will keep you in the loop. I hope all is well with you!
Best wishes,

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:49 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:07 pm
THURSDAY APRIL 7 , 2022

[Good Morning Beverley-
I'm not sure if it is just too early still or if we just are not going to see a nesting pair in our nest again. I witnessed two adults a week ago or so in nearby trees, probably scouting. In the past the adults build or fix the nest just a few days before the first egg and so it is still possible as we usually see babies the 20th of May or in the week before. We are still pretty cold. High 20's in the morning and we have lots of snow and ice. It has not had that Spring feel yet:( I will keep you in the loop. I hope all is well with you!
Best wishes,
Thanks Bev; I'll keep my :luck: that a pair decides to nest . such a lovely area.

Baita
Topic Assistant

Post by Baita » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:31 am

IrishEyes wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:07 pm
THURSDAY APRIL 7 , 2022

[Good Morning Beverley-
Best wishes,
Thank you so much for the information Bev! I’ll go back and check the last seasons for when they started. Unfortunately, at least last time, their nest building wasn’t stellar, no rails, which led to the fall of one of our precious babies. Regardless, I’ll confirm the dates for when we saw our first return/building. I wonder if they’ll stream this year at all.
I follow SWFL, Harrison Mills, Smøla, Kenai, and Berry College

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:03 am

THURSDAY APRIL 28, 2022

Hi Baita , Marianne , Judy and everyone.

From my contact
Hi Bev- I am so sad to say that the eagles did not nest near our house this year. They built another one right outside of our kitchen window (I will forward pics taken April 17) and then two days later ........nothing. I thought maybe they were out hunting and getting ready to lay their egg but nothing has happened. Do you know why they would build a nest and then not use it. So strange. A week after we saw the nest being built we did notice about 5 juveniles pestering an adult. I'm wondering if it was a nesting pair that wasn't welcome. I'll be sure to email you if there is any action next year. Have a wonderful summer!

All the best,

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:11 am

Here are pictures
screenshot_01.png
screenshot_02.png

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:46 pm

Beautiful pictures. Interesting that the eagles built that beautiful nest, then didn’t use it since I keep reading there are more eagles than nests leading to territorial disturbances. It needs a For Sale sign so that another pair will buy it and move in.

Baita
Topic Assistant

Post by Baita » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:01 pm

Thank you for the information from your contact. I personally wouldn’t give up on the nest just yet. It might be adopted by a different pair or even owls. They lay their eggs in May so there still hope. :grhug:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:49 pm

Sorry to hear the news, Bev - and thanks to your contact for letting us know what's going on.

It's my impression that sometimes a pair is so totally fixated on setting up their nest and laying eggs that a freight train running through the middle of it wouldn't disrupt them - but I think that more often it doesn't take that much to disrupt them if it happens at just the right/wrong time.

That said....

Bev, I'm guessing that your contact can also see the original nest? It's not that uncommon for eagles to build a new nest and then, at the last minute, decide the old one wasn't that bad and go back there to lay their eggs.

It's also possible that if the pair spent the week before they would normally have laid their first egg chasing off young intruders or possibly fighting with other adults - their minds (and hormones/instincts) would have switched from the need to raise young to the more pressing need to stay alive. (Slightly off topic, but I think that's what happened to our male Duffer at the Harrison Mills nest - he and his mate were preparing for eggs when a male intruder challenged him, and (I think) that fight for his life changed his hormonal balance (or whatever eagles have) enough that he's no longer focused on nesting, even though his mate is incubating their eggs. He was involved in at least one fight - she wasn't, so her instincts didn't change, but I think his did.) Here, if this theory is correct, both got distracted, and by the time they remembered they were getting ready to lay eggs, it was probably too late, so they moved on. And with a bit of luck, they'll be back next year to use the nest they built outside your contact's kitchen window.

I'm hoping your contact will report occasionally if the eagles are seen - and do hope that next year will be better.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:12 pm

JudyB wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:49 pm
Sorry to hear the news, Bev - and thanks to your contact for letting us know what's going on.

It's my impression that sometimes a pair is so totally fixated on setting up their nest and laying eggs that a freight train running through the middle of it wouldn't disrupt them - but I think that more often it doesn't take that much to disrupt them if it happens at just the right/wrong time.

That said....

Bev, I'm guessing that your contact can also see the original nest? It's not that uncommon for eagles to build a new nest and then, at the last minute, decide the old one wasn't that bad and go back there to lay their eggs.

It's also possible that if the pair spent the week before they would normally have laid their first egg chasing off young intruders or possibly fighting with other adults - their minds (and hormones/instincts) would have switched from the need to raise young to the more pressing need to stay alive. (Slightly off topic, but I think that's what happened to our male Duffer at the Harrison Mills nest - he and his mate were preparing for eggs when a male intruder challenged him, and (I think) that fight for his life changed his hormonal balance (or whatever eagles have) enough that he's no longer focused on nesting, even though his mate is incubating their eggs. He was involved in at least one fight - she wasn't, so her instincts didn't change, but I think his did.) Here, if this theory is correct, both got distracted, and by the time they remembered they were getting ready to lay eggs, it was probably too late, so they moved on. And with a bit of luck, they'll be back next year to use the nest they built outside your contact's kitchen window.

I'm hoping your contact will report occasionally if the eagles are seen - and do hope that next year will be better.
Thank you so much Judy .. you always know what to say re H Mills and here also :hug:

Baita
Topic Assistant

Post by Baita » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:46 pm

JudyB wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:49 pm

That said....

Excellent assessment of the situation at HM and probably here too. Big events interrupted their timeline. I learn so much here. :grhug:

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Fri May 06, 2022 8:11 pm

I saw this on Facebook from Scarlett Bairbelle, admin for the Kenai FB page:

I am sorry to be the bearer of sad news. The city of Kenai has informed me that no eagles have decided to use the nest. The city of Kenai says that if a pair decides to settle there they will turn the camera back on. There is a new nest on a nearby property, but the owners do not wish to install a camera. If anyone wishes to post general miscellaneous eagle related information or YouTube clips you are welcome to do so. If anyone wishes to leave the group I certainly understand. I will keep the group open.

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”