AEF Captiva/Sanibel Island Eagle Cam 2020/21

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Re: AEF Captiva/Sanibel Island Eagle Cam 2020/21

Post by MaryF » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:25 pm

Here is the most recent video from Lady Hawk. These little ones are so darn cute---even the bald one! :love:

AEF Captiva Eagles ~ Clown Feet & Thermal Down Emerging! 16 Day Old Twins! 😊 💕 12.30.20

CAP   thermal down+clown feet   12-30-20.jpg

From Lady Hawk

The twins are now 16 days old and have their 2nd coat of darker grey thermal down coming in. This will allow the eaglets to be able to self regulate their body temperature and not be solely dependent upon Mom and Dad brooding them. Also at this stage we see how big their feet are in relation to their body size hence the term "clown feet". 😊💕 It is wonderful to see two healthy and growing chicks! Thank you for watching!

CAP   love the feet   12-30=20.jpg

Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk

Courtesy of AEF 2020 American Eagle Foundation Eagles.org.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITy6nb ... 0kB_xqNAdI :vid:

CAP   feet 2   12-30-20.jpg
Member since July, 2006

Farniente

Post by Farniente » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:20 am

Hi,

Dad arrives with fish but nor Mom or the kids are interested.
5.jpg
1.jpg
Dad eats it then leaves
3.jpg

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:23 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I have several videos from fellow volunteer Debs to post here with her permission. She has been busy! All scaps are from her videos. Thank you Debs !! ;)

Eaglet Struggles to Cast Pellet - Mom Notices Wants to Help - Captiva Bald Eagles - Dec 31, 2020

From Deb Stecyk

Eaglet #1 struggles to cast a pellet; Mom notices and watches over her eaglet closely.

Thanks to the landowner Lori and AEF for providing the Captiva Eagle Cams; we appreciate the opportunity to watch and grow along side this beautiful bald eagle family and from the comfort of our own homes too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=Iw ... e=youtu.be :vid:

**************************************************************************************************************

Casting Pellet - Eaglet #1 - Part 2 - Top Up Feeding Before Bed - Captiva Bald Eagles - Dec 31, 2020

From Deb Stecyk

This footage is a continuation of Eaglet #1 trying hard to cast a pellet, video #2 in a two part series. Mom keeps a watchful eye over her eaglet and eventually the eaglet appears to pass the pellet. We do not get a clear view of the pellet as Mom's body is blocking our view but based on the eaglet's behavior afterwards we can make an educated guess that the pellet was expelled. It nearly looked like Mom assisted and possibly move or ate the pellet but our view was blocked so just not sure. Afterwards the eaglet is more relaxed and active; later Mom feeds the kids a top up feeding before bed. All positive signs that the pellet was expelled.

Thanks to the landowner Lori and AEF for providing the Captiva Eagle Cams; we appreciate the opportunity to watch and grow along side this beautiful bald eagle family and from the comfort of our own homes too

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:46 am

Blood Transfer - Foot - Eaglet #2 - Feedings - Food Coma - Big Crops - Captiva Eagles - Dec 31, 2020

Pin feathers showing on #2s wing.
CAP   pin feathers   12-31-20.jpg

From Deb Stecyk

This footage captures some of the highlights of the day including a changing of the guard, lovely feedings of fish, visible blood on eaglet #2 foot likely transfer ? from a food source on the nest (hoping so), visible pin feathers, food coma and bursting crops. It was another lovely day on the nest for this family. The eaglet's are undergoing tremendous growth, wings are heavy as the pin feathers come in and they are sporting big "clown" feet, which tends to slow them down as they get used to their developing bodies!!!

Thanks to the landowner Lori and AEF for providing the Captiva Eagle Cams; we appreciate the opportunity to watch and grow along side this beautiful bald eagle family and from the comfort of our own homes too!

Blood on #2s foot---hopefully from food
CAP   blood on foot   12-31-20.jpg

Very snuggley eaglets sleeping of their large meal :love:
CAP   snuggly lets   12-31-20.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:59 am

Fish Deliveries - Beautiful Tandem Feeding & Family Interaction - Captiva Bald Eagles - Jan 1, 2021

Dad Joe crash lands right on #2 with a fish :w00t:
CAP   right on 2   1-1-21.jpg

From Deb Stecyk

Happy New Year everyone; this footage captures some lovely family interaction early morning at the Captiva Bald Eagle nest, which includes fish deliveries, crash landing with fish near eaglet#2, solo feeding for eaglet #1 and a beautiful tandem feeding by both parents. The eaglets were stuffed full of fish but that did not stop them from leaning in and grabbing supersized pieces of fish including the tail haha. Wishing y'all a better year ahead with blessings of good health, happiness and a better economy for all.

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:47 pm

A new video by Debs for your enjoyment!

Adult Nearly Lands on Eaglet - Bumper Crops Collide/Tip Over - Jan 1, 2021 - Captiva Bald Eagles

From Deb Stecyk

This footage captures afternoon feedings, adult nearly lands on eaglet #2, fish thief (parent steals a fish), furry prey meal, eaglets bumper crops collide resulting in eaglet #1 tipping over and rolling over. The tip over i recorded in actual time then repeated it in slow motion and actual time again; it was comical to watch. The eaglets continue to experience tremendous growth, which affects their mobility and their movements appear awkward due to the weight of their wings and their big clown feet always entertaining to watch them at this age. It was another good day at this nest with food aplenty and lots of cute family interaction, enjoy!

About the Captiva Bald Eagles

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:16 pm

I have a few more videos to post here. This first one is from Lady Hawk---Enjoy!

AEF Captiva Eagles ~ Dandelion Head & Mega Crops! Mom Stuffs The Kids Again! 😊 1.2.21

#1 with a full crop and a fuzzy head---scap is by Lady Hawk from her video
CAP   full crop  1-2-21.jpg
From Lady Hawk

Connie flies in first and then Joe follows with a fish. She serves it up to the twins and they fall into a food coma afterwards. #2 does a big crop drop at 11:40 before passing out again. Later in the day, Connie feeds #1 and we see that cute dandelion top on its head! And holy moly look at that crop! #2 was not interested in eating and remained sleeping with a huge crop as well. Thank you for watching!

Courtesy of AEF 2020 American Eagle Foundation Eagles.org.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Utnb3CoioU :vid:

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 pm

The next two videos are courtesy of Deb Stecyk

Fish Deliveries - Feeding - Snuggles & Cuddles - Mommy Time - Jan 2, 2021 - Captiva Bald Eagles

From Deb Stecyk

This footage captures clips of Dad's fish deliveries, Mom feeding the eaglets fish along with snuggle and cuddle times with Mom. Great family interaction despite Eaglet #1 bonking Eaglet #2 but all was forgotten as they formed a snuggle puddle many times afterwards. The eaglets seem to be getting used to coordinating movement despite their heavy wings and clown feet. Food sources on the nest was fish and later in the day a rodent was observed on the nest. Fish is always the best food source due to the risk of poisons from other sources.

Thanks to the landowner Lori and AEF for providing the Captiva Eagle Cams

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:25 pm

Eaglet #2 - Bumper Crops - Afternoon Feedings & Close Up Views - Jan 2, 2021 - Captiva Bald Eagles

From Deb Stecyk

Mom feeds the kids a "feast" of fish; there were several feedings of fish during the day. A rodent was also a food source seen on the nest. Eaglet #2 ate plenty of fish at the 235 pm feeding and did not appear interested in food at the late day feedings. Thanks to the cam operator for zooming in so that we could enjoy some close up views of the eaglets they are adorable. At bedtime both eaglets were sporting nice crops.

Thanks to the landowner Lori and AEF for providing the Captiva Eagle Cams

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:02 am

I thought that I had posted all of the videos from those two ladies last night. I was wrong Here are two more--- :thumlft:

AEF Captiva Eagles ~ #2 Takes A TUMBLE! 😊 Fish Pillow, Discussions & Winglets! 😊 💕 1.3.21

#2 does several crop drops -- scap is from the video
CAP   crop drop   1-4-21.jpg

From Lady Hawk

The eaglets are now 20 days old and growing big! We see #1 using the fish as a pillow today and they both are starting to sit up more on their hocks as they gain more strength to hold their bodies upright. They both are so adorable facing one another as if they are having a conversation and look at those clown feet!

At 6:52 timestamp - #2 is sitting up and just tumbles over backwards!! Too funny!! In regular time and slomo! And then #1 will start to exercise those tiny winglets! 😊 #2 also falls a sleep on the fish right after Mom finishes a feeding! Now that is a perfect cool fish pillow! Thank you for watching!

Courtesy of AEF 2020 American Eagle Foundation Eagles.org

You can tell that #1 has been eating well! Nice shot! -- scap is from the video
CAP   kaboom   1-3-21.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFuFnv7 ... -nYN_yqt2g :vid:

Twins having a nice chat and check those 4 clown feet! :D -- scap is from the video
CAP   clown feet   1-3-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:14 am

Bumper Crops - Cutie Patoodies Eaglets - 3 Weeks Old - Captiva Bald Eagles - Jan 3, 2021

FROM Deb Stecyk

These cutie patoodie eaglets are 21 days old (counting hatch day) and they are as sweet as can be. The eaglets are undergoing tremendous growth as their pin feathers (sometimes blood feathers) come in and their mobility is awkward due to this added weight and compounded by their big "clown feet". This footage captures a beautiful feeding with Mom that results in both eaglets sporting impressive "bumper crops". After the feeding the kids spend some alone time and Eaglet #1 plays pass the bedding while Eaglet #2 tries to sleep (hard to sleep when your sibling is bugging you). Beautiful interaction between the eaglets and Mom too. Enjoy the edited footage
Thanks to the landowner Lori and the AEF for providing the Captiva Eagle Cams

Member since July, 2006

Nicoor

Post by Nicoor » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:51 am

Hi I don't know why but my guts are telling me something is wrong with # 2
He seems to have some sort of wound / cut on his left wing, with blood on his left foot?
He keeps his left wing on his body much more than his right wing. it doesn't stretch the wings / legs like # 1 does.
He barely ate today, seems to have trouble moving around the nest, looks a lot less energetic than # 1
Every time it moves, it sounds like pain (like when an adult steps on an eaglet, that specific sound the eaglet made).

I'm not sure if it's my imagination / stress or whatever, better safe than sorry, just want to let you know and watch his behavior more carefully.
Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language and the Google translation is not perfect.

You did very well--I will go to the cam and see if I can see what you are talking about Thanks! MaryF

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Hi Nicoor---I just watched while #2 had it's 5th feeding of the day. It took the food eagerly and shared about evenly with #1. As you can see in this photo there was no blood on it's foot and it has quite a bit of food in it's crop. It may have had some blood earlier from a fish which often happens. Hope this helps--I will keep an eye on #2.

CAP   no blood   1-4-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

Nicoor

Post by Nicoor » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:15 pm

Hi MaryF, thanks for your answer, I saw the nice feeding just after my post, good news.
But I still have little concern with his "left wing/leg behavior", time will tell ... I just hope there is nothing serious.

Have a nice day thank you :)

Ferenz
Topic Assistant

Post by Ferenz » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:06 am

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”