AEF Captiva/Sanibel Island Eagle Cam 2020/21

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Re: AEF Captiva/Sanibel Island Eagle Cam 2020/21

Post by Sandy_W » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:12 am

I am so very sorry with the loss of Hope. Sending big hugs to those who follow Connie and Joe and their little ones. I know the heart hurts. Soar high and free, little Hope and Peace.

I saw this note from Conner at AEF and thought I would pass it on.
Late Night Update: This has been a very trying day, so much sadness... I love that we can have such a deep connection with a living creature through a screen, over the internet. It is a beautiful thing, but also a very sad thing when it doesn't go the way it should. This isn't just Connie and Joe's loss, it is everyone who watches' loss.

We will have an official update tomorrow morning or early afternoon. I know the team wants to provide more details that are accurate and a solid plan moving forward. While I have a break I wanted to come on here and provide a small update. We had been notified late last night/early morning about a potential issue, but sadly we aren't able to get USFWS approval or a rescue crew out that fast. We were very lucky to get a response last time in 24 hours, there are just a lot of legal and logistical things that go into it. (Side note, we want to make an in-depth video on how everything works for rescues.) We are looking into getting USFWS approval for a necropsy and we will know more tomorrow. We have a lot of speculation as to the cause of death, but will have to wait for a necropsy for confirmation. We wish we could do more for Peace and Hope, but what we can do is do more targeted education on rodenticides, lead, and fishing line. We can take action, not only on Captiva Island, but around the nation and maybe even the world. We will need all of your help in this. Thank you all for your support and love. Fly high and free Peace and Hope!
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:01 am

Thank you Sandy! I was just about to post that note from Conner---glad to see it here! :thumlft:

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:22 am

..I have found 2 more videos that I am going to post for the purpose of documenting what happened here on this nest. Use caution if you decide to watch them please.

AEF Captiva Eagles ~ Hope is Bleeding! Blood Seen On Right Leg, Foot & Under Wing! 1.23.21

Scap is from the video
CAP   blood   1-23-21.jpg
From Lady Hawk

This afternoon, blood was seen on Hope's right leg and foot and under the right wing. The bleeding along with the leg tremors and the death of Hope's sibling Peace has prompted me to immediately notify Al Cecere, AEF & CROW. It could be a broken pin feather and I suspect rat poisoning with these symptoms we have seen for the past few days. I was in contact with CROW this evening and they said if AEF requests the permit from USFWS they could be up there tomorrow! Prayers for this sweet eaglet!! Thank you for watching!

Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk

Courtesy of AEF 2020 American Eagle Foundation Eagles.org.

Scap by Lady Hawk from her video
CAP   poor Hope   1-23-21.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPa_3JP ... VaAa_Pd-uM :vid:

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:28 am

This video is from our own Debs ---

Hope Bleeding - Moderate Blood Seen Right Leg, Foot and Under Wing - Jan 23, 2021 - Captiva Eagles

From Deb Stecyk

Moderate bleeding seen on Hope's right foot, leg and when she moved underneath her wing could be a blood feather rupture. This just so sad! Updated - Hope suffered a horrible night her suffering lasted hours and no help came; Hope passed away at 348 am. Hope you fought hard; mankind let you down, your suffering has ended now, Hope Soar High and Forever Free ... you can join Peace and together you can Soar Free RIP Lil Ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=Iw ... e=youtu.be :vid:

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:44 am

This is a note from Lori---the property and cam owner. The loss of Peace and Hope must be very hard for her!! :cry1:

CAP   Lori's note   1-24-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

RitaR
Topic Assistant

Post by RitaR » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:58 am

Oh Mary! Even more heart breaking to think this little eaglet died from rat poison. Will people ever learn? It so sickening. Little ones like this have to suffer because of it. Hope they can do a necropsy soon!

Rita that was what I figured all along. Now maybe we will know what happened for sure! MaryF :grhug:

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:24 pm

I almost missed the whole thing. I came into the computer room and heard a truck--I looked real quick and just saw hands holding Hope very carefully and then got a look at the bucket truck. I did hear at least one of the parents calling in the background. SO---They did come and remove poor little Hope's body this afternoon. Now maybe we will be able to find out what happened to these 2 precious babies!! :(

The latest note from AEF ~~~
CAP   AEF note   1-25-21.jpg

Sweet lady removing Hope from the nest
CAP   removing Hope   1-15-21.jpg
Hope is in the bag in front of the lady.
CAP   removing Hope 2  1-25-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:57 pm

Here is a video by Lady Hawk covering the recovery of Hope's remains by CROW. :(

AEF Captiva Eagles ~ CROW Retrieves Hope's Body From The Nest! 💔💔 1.25.21

No words are needed - scap is from the video
CAP   getting Hope  2   1-25-21.jpg

From Lady Hawk

AEF was given the approval to have CROW ( Clinic For The Rehabilitation Of Wildlife) retrieve Hope's body from the nest this afternoon. CROW will perform the necropsy and that information will be released to the public. In the case of E14, CROW had to send the body to the Southwest Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study at the University of Georgia for further testing of rodenticides. I do not know CROW will do the same for Hope's remains, but I am assuming they will.

Connie and Joe were both flying over the nest when CROW was there with the bucket truck to remove Hope's body. You will hear and see them flying in the distance from the distance cam footage.

Parent above calling out - scap is from the video
CAP   parent above   1-25-21.jpg

I would like to thank CROW for their excellent work and dedication in helping our wildlife. There is also an organization called www.raptorsarethesolution.org and they have taken the liberty of printing a flyer to alert people that there are bald eagles nesting nearly and not to use rat poison. You may download this flyer for free and share it to help get the word out there to not use rodenticides.

Goodbye sweet Hope - you had a short life but you mattered and were loved by many along with your sibling Peace. I hope that rodenticides will be banned one day and that we learn from this terrible loss and save future eagles lives. Then your deaths will not have been in vain. RIP.

Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk

Courtesy of AEF 2020 American Eagle Foundation Eagles.org

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piKCg5w ... uWcupKnfbE :vid:

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:27 pm

The preliminary results on Hope from CROW are below. We will know more when we get the results from the special lab in Georgia where E14 from SWFEC was sent last year.

CAP   CROW results  1   1-25-21.jpg
Precious Hope almost looks like she was sleeping :brknhrt:
CAP   Hope at CROW   1-25-21.jpg
CAP   CROW result   2   1-25-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:13 pm

After all of the trauma of losing both beautiful eaglets at this nest it seems that we have also lost Dad Joe. Poor Connie---what a year she has had. :( It seems that she has a brand new mate. Here is a note from the cam owner, Lori.

.Captiva Update - March 15, 2021 - Lori has named the new young male "Martin", a terrific name for Connie's new mate. Here is Lori's post from Instagram "Well...I guess it’s official. First Connie arrives at the nest...followed by her new young male partner. After an agonizing few weeks of praying for Joe’s return...I now feel ready to accept this new male in her life. Initially, I named our resident pair Connie and Joe, after my parents (Connie and Joe Peller). My parents had an extraordinary marriage (61 years) and a wonderful life together. Even though they passed in 2013 and 2016...there is not a day goes by that I don’t think of them both. They introduced us to the beautiful island of Captiva ...and it has become our home away from home! I struggled with what to name the male...as the only name that goes perfectly with Connie is Joe. But it turns out...there is one other...Martin. Martin was my Mom’s maiden name. So everyone...meet Martin...Connie’s new partner in life. They have been spending many early mornings and lazy late afternoon hours ...relaxing in the nest together. They seem very content and and relaxed. I pray that the drama for this nest has passed and the next season will be one of joy and peace!🙏"
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:15 am

The results from Hope's necropsy are in and CROW posted the results ~~~ :cry1:

CROW - Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife, Inc.

CAPTIVA EAGLET NECROPSY RESULTS: The liver tissue of Hope from the American Eagle Foundation Captiva Eagle Cam nest, a female eaglet, was found to contain markedly increased levels of brodifacoum as well as traces of difenacoum, both are second generation anticoagulant rodenticide or rat poison. While we have answers for Hope’s death, a necropsy was unable to be performed on the younger eaglet, Peace, and the cause of its death remains unknown.

Anticoagulant rodenticides, or rat poisons, prevent the blood from clotting normally and cause an animal that has ingested a toxic amount to bleed to death. Rodents that ingest the poison often become disoriented or lethargic as they are dying and become easy prey for eagles, hawks, owls and other predators, passing the poison through the food chain. Sadly, it is not uncommon for apparently healthy raptors to test positive for low levels of rodenticides, which have not yet reached the point of causing toxicity and illness. The adults in the nest likely have chronic exposure to rodenticides from the same food sources but are not currently suffering any ill effects due to their larger body size compared to the affected baby.

For downloadable content to share with your friends, in your neighborhood, or classroom, please visit:
https://www.raptorsarethesolution.org/free-outreach.../
Member since July, 2006

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”