Caloosa School Nest - LE103 - Cape Coral FL 2019 - 2020 - 2021

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

SueB
Zoomer

Re: Caloosa School Nest - LE103 - Cape Coral FL 2019 - 2020

Post by SueB » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:24 pm

3/8/2020 - I missed the adult leaving the light on the right side...they are now next to the other adult on the nest and it looks like both eaglets are just in front of them so it's hard to see them
Caloosa 3-8-2020m.jpg
Out of no where the adults start arguing.....not sure what that was about
Caloosa 3-8-2020n.jpg
This picture taken with iphone-binocular setup
One of them (I think it was the one that was originally on the right side of the light), picks up the leftovers and flies off with it
Caloosa 3-8-2020o.jpg

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:25 pm

3/8/2020 - more of the adult flying off
Caloosa 3-8-2020p.jpg
Caloosa 3-8-2020q.jpg
Picture taken with Canon M50 - 200 mm lens
Caloosa 3-8-2020r.jpg
Picture taken with Canon M50 - 200 mm lens

Here is a video of the argument and the adult flying off....a little shaky....need a tripod....next purchase. This was actually taken with an iPhone 8 hooked to a good set of binoculars that are very heavy so it's tough keeping things steady. Once I get the longer lens on the camera we may not need this binocular setup thing.....yet another purchase.

:vid: Adults arguing

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:36 pm

3/16/2020 - Very Sad News about the eaglets at the Caloosa School nest. I just received the message below from Justin, my contact at the Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife. I was so sad to hear this. I was not aware that there was a lightning rod on this light where the eagles are nesting. I have asked Justin if there is any way for them to take this lightning rod down during nesting season as it is likely not during the time when we experience lightning storms in this area. That occurs mostly during the Summer season. I know it may be asking for a lot since this nest is on school property but will wait to hear back whether this is something that could be changed.

For now I am praying that the one eaglet is able to survive their injury. I know s/he is in good hands at CROW. And to the Eaglet that passed, RIP. Soar high with E14 (SWFL), and watch over your sibling and parents. :cry1: :brknhrt:

”I have sad news in case you didn’t hear. Both eaglets at Caloosa middle school impaled their wings on the lightning rod on top of the light post. A rescue was coordinated this morning. One eaglet passed away the other was taken in for rehabilitation by CROW.”

Some pictures of both eaglets from March 1st as they spread their wings and perched above the nest.
F796F185-6CC3-4235-8D88-B43A68D29224.jpeg
D9891B7A-D1EE-4213-A2BE-3A353AC9389F.jpeg
091BB8E2-4E43-493A-A650-FFDAF896C61F.jpeg
7FA803EE-7952-44B4-8C96-387F62D94DCE.jpeg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:58 pm

SueB wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:36 pm
3/16/2020 - Very Sad News about the eagles at the Caloosa School nest. I just received the message below from Justin, my contact at the Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife. I was so sad to hear this. I was not aware that there was a lightning rod on this light where the eagles are nesting. I have asked Justin if there is any way for them to take this lightning rod down during nesting season as it is likely not during the time when we experience lightning storms in this area. That occurs mostly during the Summer season. I know it may be asking for a lot since this nest is on school property but will wait to hear back whether this is something that could be changed.

For now I am praying that the one eaglet is able to survive their injury. I know s/he is in good hands at CROW. And to the Eaglet that passed, RIP. Soar high with E14, and watch over your sibling and parents. :cry1: :brknhrt:

”I have sad news in case you didn’t hear. Both eaglets at Caloosa middle school impaled their wings on the lightning rod on top of the light post. A rescue was coordinated this morning. One eaglet passed away the other was taken in for rehabilitation by CROW.”
Oh Sue - I am so sorry to hear this. :cry1: What a way to end the season. :brknhrt:

If they can't remove the lightning rod, I wonder if the design can be modified, like maybe with a small crossbar on top where they could perch; it would seem it could still be conductive, though that's just a guess on my part.

Sending good thoughts to the young one in rehab - and big hugs to you. :grhug:

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:05 pm

Sue, I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of one of the eaglets. Know your heart is broken as you have been following them. So hoping the second one will survive and we know that eaglet is in great hands at Crow. As Judy said, maybe there is a modification to the design of the rod with the platform to make it safer for the eaglets and for the parents. I so hope so. Sending hugs....
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:49 pm

JudyB wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:58 pm
SueB wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:36 pm
3/16/2020 - Very Sad News about the eaglets at the Caloosa School nest. I just received the message below from Justin, my contact at the Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife. I was so sad to hear this. I was not aware that there was a lightning rod on this light where the eagles are nesting. I have asked Justin if there is any way for them to take this lightning rod down during nesting season as it is likely not during the time when we experience lightning storms in this area. That occurs mostly during the Summer season. I know it may be asking for a lot since this nest is on school property but will wait to hear back whether this is something that could be changed.

For now I am praying that the one eaglet is able to survive their injury. I know s/he is in good hands at CROW. And to the Eaglet that passed, RIP. Soar high with E14, and watch over your sibling and parents. :cry1: :brknhrt:

Oh Sue - I am so sorry to hear this. :cry1: What a way to end the season. :brknhrt:

If they can't remove the lightning rod, I wonder if the design can be modified, like maybe with a small crossbar on top where they could perch; it would seem it could still be conductive, though that's just a guess on my part.

Sending good thoughts to the young one in rehab - and big hugs to you. :grhug:
Thank you Judy. And thanks for the idea on modifying the lightning rod. I will definitely be in touch with the wildlife people to ask if anything like that can be done.

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:50 pm

Sandy_W wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:05 pm
Sue, I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of one of the eaglets. Know your heart is broken as you have been following them. So hoping the second one will survive and we know that eaglet is in great hands at Crow. As Judy said, maybe there is a modification to the design of the rod with the platform to make it safer for the eaglets and for the parents. I so hope so. Sending hugs....
Thanks Sandy. It is such sad news for this nest.

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:04 pm

I had sent a message to CROW to see if I could get an update on the 2nd eaglet and they just got back to me and unfortunately it is bad news, our 2nd eaglet did not make it. Here is their response:

Hi Sue. Unfortunately, the eaglet had very severe injuries to its wing that were not repairable and our veterinarians had to make the decision to humanely euthanize the eagle. I am sorry I do not have a better update for you!

I am going to go back to the nest in the next couple of days to see if the adults are still around, which I would expect they will be. I’m sure this pair is wondering what happened and will be around to mourn their loss.

Soar high young ones. I will miss seeing you grow into the great fledglings you would have become. :brknhrt: :cry1: 🦅

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:25 pm

:brknhrt: :brknhrt: :brknhrt: Broken hearts, Sue.
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Really big hugs. :grhug: :hug: :grhug:

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:15 pm

HI Sue... :hug: :brknhrt: :grhug:

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:37 pm

Thank you Sandy, Judy, and Bev for your support. It is very heartbreaking to have lost them both.

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:42 pm

3/20/2020 - I went to visit the nest today for the first time since the eaglets had passed. Unfortunately neither adult was in the area. Not sure where they may fly around to but since this location is new just in the last two years for this pair I also went to the location where I was told they were previously. They were not there either. They could be anywhere at this point. Unfortunately I have not learned where the eagles go when they are not in the immediately area of the nest but I did look around as we drove toward the nest area and also when we left and I did not see them.

I will go back from time to time to see if they return at any point.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks Sue for the update .. that was hard to go here :hug: I am sure they are fine and getting on with their lives .. I hope you see them the next time you go there ! :hug:

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:37 am

SueB wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:04 pm
I had sent a message to CROW to see if I could get an update on the 2nd eaglet and they just got back to me and unfortunately it is bad news, our 2nd eaglet did not make it. Here is their response:

Hi Sue. Unfortunately, the eaglet had very severe injuries to its wing that were not repairable and our veterinarians had to make the decision to humanely euthanize the eagle. I am sorry I do not have a better update for you!

I am going to go back to the nest in the next couple of days to see if the adults are still around, which I would expect they will be. I’m sure this pair is wondering what happened and will be around to mourn their loss.

Soar high young ones. I will miss seeing you grow into the great fledglings you would have become. :brknhrt: :cry1: 🦅
Hi Sue, Judy, Sandy, Bev,
only the fact to read the so sad story of these two eaglets lets come my :cry1:
Poor little guys, like you said they already joined E14 and the little DH9.
Fly free, fly high with always a full crop, you were not so far to embrace this beautiful sky with your superb wings :brknhrt:
I hope the human will be able to find very quickly a new technique for these lightnings rods. I share your sadness.
I will add these two eaglets in the "in memoriam" thread in the next day.
i will use your pics Sue and will name them CSN1 & CSN2 if it's not a problem for you. Let me know if you sent them another name.
:grhug:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”