Minnesota DNR Eagle Cam 2017-2018

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

JudyB
Admin

Minnesota DNR Eagle Cam 2017-2018

Post by JudyB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:18 am

Thanks to MaryF for finding much of the background information for this nest!

Link to the Cam -- http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/features/web ... index.html

MN non-game Facebook link -- https://www.facebook.com/MinnesotaNonga ... m/?fref=ts

DNR group FB page -- https://www.facebook.com/groups/227557260721558/

Link to the 2016/17 thread on our old forum -- http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/vi ... pic=912018

Minnesota is in the central time zone.

HWF would like to thank the Minnesota DNR, Floyd Security and Xcel Energy for setting up this Bald Eagle Cam for our entertainment, enjoyment and education!.

This eagle camera is brought to you by the Minnesota DNR's Nongame Wildlife Program, which helps over 700 species of Minnesota wildlife thrive. We are watching live video of a Twin Cities eagle nest. This pair of eagles has nested in the same area since about 2010, fledging at least one chick in that time.
The camera was installed above the nest in late 2012 with help from an Xcel Energy crew with a boom truck, and Floyd Security. The nest is in an undisclosed Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul) metro area location

2017-2018 Nesting Season:
  • eggs laid: February 19, 1:17 pm; February 22, 3:47 pm; Feb 25, 5:17 pm
  • hatched: none hatched - see following posts for details of the disruptions on the nest
  • branching:
  • fledged:

(From the Minnesota DNR) -- The nest is very high in the tree and a bucket truck was needed to install the camera. This work was done early in the winter, before the birds were displaying courtship behavior or even frequenting the nest. The eagles are not fed by humans, nor does anyone physically visit this nest. They are completely on their own, in their natural environment with no assistance from humans. This is the way nature intended and this is also why we keep the location of this nest discreet. Any disturbance could threaten the nest, or habituate the birds which could turn out to be deadly for the new family. We do not want that to happen! We are very grateful to be able to witness this fascinating and amazing process. Our generation is very fortunate to have this opportunity. We hope that you are also enjoying every minute of spying on the natural world and learning from these beautiful and majestic birds.
mndnr2.jpg

Note to viewers (from MN DNR): This is live video of wild birds in the natural process of raising their young. Life and death struggles occur all the time in the natural world. DNR staff will monitor this camera and will evaluate incidents as they occur, but we do not plan to, nor do we condone, any interference with this nest or its occupants

To our EagleCam followers, the purpose of the EagleCam is to allow researchers and the public to witness the natural processes of Bald Eagle courtship, egg laying and incubation, hatching, eaglet care, prey selection, and fledging. It is important to remember that in addition to observing successes, it is also valuable to observe and document failures, including eaglet fighting and potentially the causes of eaglet mortality (sibling rivalry, starvation, exposure, predation, etc.). We do NOT plan to cut the live feed to censor these natural processes. NOTICE- You have to decide for yourself if/when you need to turn off the feed in the event that difficult-to-view events transpire.

We will not be naming the EagleCam Bald Eagles. These are wild birds, not pets, and we want to avoid the personification of wild animals.

JudyB
Admin

Re: Minnesota DNR Eagle Cam 2018

History

We don't have too much history on this nest before the installation of the cam. That was most certainly the first year for this pair as Mom was quite young (a 2009 hatch bird).

2013 was the first year on cam for this nest, and the first eagle cam for the sponsoring Department of Natural Resources. Eagles in Minnesota typically lay eggs in March, but this pair laid three eggs around the beginning of January. Not surprising, considering how cold it is in Minnesota at that time of year, none hatched. One broke or collapsed February 25; the second broke and then crumbled on March 4; the third egg broke the morning of April 5; none appeared to have much if any content; the adults were tending the final egg until the end (about 90 days). I wasn't watching so don't know if they were still incubating constantly or taking breaks towards the end.

In 2014 the pair again laid three eggs, this time waiting until mid-February; they went through some heavy snow while incubating, but all three hatched! Unfortunately, when the oldest chick was about 5 weeks old, viewers realized that he or she seemed to be stuck; DNR initially restated their non-intervention policy, but after further discussion with the relevant authorities, removed the chick from the nest; they reported s/he had a serious injury to the elbow on the right wing, possible injury to the right leg, and systemic infection; after additional tests and consultation, the Raptor Center reported that the severe injury to its elbow with bone loss resulting in a lack of integrity to the elbow joint made it impossible for the eaglet to survive in the wild, and that type of injury is likely to cause ongoing discomfort, so the eaglet was humanely euthanized. The two remaining chicks fledged successfully.

The pair laid three eggs in 2015, starting in mid-January this time; all three hatched, but #2 appeared to come out of the side of the egg, rather than pecking around the circumference and pushing the two parts apart; we saw a pip in the second egg the morning of February 27, and it looked as if the chick was close to getting out of the shell as it got dark on March 1st - which is around 2-1/2 days, while most hatches take 36 hours or less. #3 hatched quickly and normally and was doing well initially (I thought better than #2, who seemed exhausted by the ordeal of hatching) - but the third day after the two younger ones hatched was very cold with few feedings (too cold to uncover the chicks for more than a few minutes at a time and the food on the nest was frozen solid), and by the next morning #3 was weak and was poorly positioned during the first feeding, and too week to push to the front for the second, and died later that morning; the remaining chicks fledged successfully.

The pair laid three eggs in 2016, all hatched - and all fledged successfully! 2017 was a repeat - three eggs, three hatches, three fledges - I like this!

JudyB
Admin

Mom's band

We do have some history on the banded Mom here at this nest. She was injured as a very young eagle and spent time at the Raptor Center at the U of Minnesota. She had been brought into the center unable to fly or even stand. She had an abscess in her right foot and had a large number of intestinal parasites. The doctors at the Raptor Center determined that she was hatched in 2009. She was later banded and released. This is the same place that eaglet #1 was taken in 2014.
mndnr1.jpg

MNDNR: Female band information --

"Bald Eagle update! This week we were finally able to get a view of all the band numbers on the banded EagleCam eagle. Here is what we learned:"

- The banded eagle is confirmed to be the female.
- She was hatched in 2009
- She was banded near Bloomington, Minnesota.
- She was banded 11/20/2010. (at the Raptor Center)

JudyB
Admin

Two great pictures from 2016, thanks to MaryF:

Mary noted, "Dad would often feed Mom while she was either incubating or brooding. What a lovely thing for him to do!" :wub:
mndnr3.jpg

Mary: "This was such a precious thing that I saw often. The tiny one would pop up for a meal---facing the wrong direction. :love: "
mndnr4.jpg

And this one from Harleygma80, showing that the tiny one did figure out how to get fed! Mary captioned this "Three very wet eaglets, all in a row."
mndnr5.jpg

JudyB
Admin

So Far This Nesting Season....

I found a great summary of what's been going on here on Facebook, and have asked permission from the author to copy it here. The quick version is that the resident male disappeared around mid-December, and there have been several males courting the resident female. The female is banded, so we're pretty sure this is still the female from previous years, but it's harder to tell which male is which. Stay tuned....

The following was written by Thomas Demma and posted on Facebook February 27, 2018; it's reprinted here with his permission. Link to his post to view the pictures is https://www.facebook.com/groups/2275572 ... 686018971/

The Dad Chronicles; First and Last Volume.

Sometime around mid December, Dad effectively vanished from the nest. I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows where he went. Maybe he's bowling, maybe he used the old "I'm going out for cigarettes" line and maybe he just decided he was too old for more kids and would never retire at this rate and just left. This left Mom without a mate. That is until Bill showed up and started courting Mom sometime in late January. Single women are always a big draw of course, especially single women with big feathers. It was all Mom and Bill, Mom and Bill, Mom and Bill. She must have decided Bill wouldn't be a bad catch and took him back to her place to do the bird boink.

There were always unwanted house guests in the area and Bill was shaping up to be a pretty good mate for Mom. He took on all comers and vigorously defended his new nest. Clearly he understood Castle Doctrine laws. And now Bill seems to have vanished. He was last seen throwing uppercuts like Clubber Lang against someone looking to take over his nest. This was Friday 2.23.18. He hasn't been seen or heard from since.

Friday is also the day Birdzilla made his first appearance. Whoever he is he was comfortible enough to land on the nest while mom was home. Which either makes him incredibly brave or incredibly stupid given her reputation as a brawler. He appears to have moved on also.

And now we have yet another suitor for Mom, which is the current bird occupying the nest. Where he came from is anyones guess but several people here seem to think Dad may have returned from his cigarette run. He's certainly made himself right at home including trying to convince Mom to serve up some horizontal refreshments.

Included here are four sets of pics, three of each bird. Dad, 'New Dad' Birdzilla and Bill. Draw your own conclusions.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 am

Reserved

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:53 am

Harleygma80 also started our 2018 season on the old forum with the following post on February 23rd:
Quote by: Harleygma80[p]We have two eggs in this nest so far this season:
first egg : laid on 2/19/2018
second egg : laid on 2/22/2018
Unfortunately, I am unable to post pictures due to a problem with my computer.[/p]

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Two adults on the nest
20180228_015.jpg

An interesting position by the adult incubating
20180228_016.jpg

A better look at the three eggs, laid February 19, 22 and 25
20180228_017_MN-DNR.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:20 pm

3:14 pm
I think this is Mom incubating the eggs, while one of the males is keeping watch - and given the way they're looking around, I would not be surprised to learn there is another eagle in the area.
20180228_027.jpg
20180228_028.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:12 am

I've added a great summary by Thomas Demma of what's been happening at this nest to one of the opening posts - viewtopic.php?p=2281#p2281

Keeping fingers crossed that the female and one of the males will settle down and incubate the eggs - and hopefully raise some chicks.

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:59 am

JudyB wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:12 am
I've added a great summary by Thomas Demma of what's been happening at this nest to one of the opening posts - viewtopic.php?p=2281#p2281

Keeping fingers crossed that the female and one of the males will settle down and incubate the eggs - and hopefully raise some chicks.
JudyB, thank you for that FB history and I have to say, I was ROFL. Thomas Demma certainly has a sense of humor and a way with words.
AKA: Marianne

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:16 am

I thought so too, Marianne - and I'm very happy he gave us permission to share it here.

bev.

Post by bev. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:28 am

I have been keeping tabs on nest since two day s ago. yesterday eggs were only unattended for 2 periods ( no more than 70 minutes, which is doable)

time will tell if viable but I think important thing is we have 2 eagles. but still very alert at times. male has been bringing in sticks and nesting. I have no clue who male is as I typically do not watch here much

will post my slideshow here later

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:01 am

I’ve been checking the nest off and on too and most of the time, no one is on the nest but at night Mom is usually there incubating. Seems like the eggs have been uncovered more times than not but maybe I just look at the wrong time. Very interesting nest this year.

bev.

Post by bev. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:32 am

here is my slideshow form yesterday
:vid:

https://video214.com/play/e4hEkXwORZzsdNRVlhYV3Q/s/dark

I just keep cam up and my recorder on it all day. . that way I can truly see what is happening. they have a DVR also so if I miss anything i can check there.

like I say , i have only been keeping track a few days, but mom has been close to eggs. yesterday if she was off it was only for a wee while. the longest time was 70 minutes and that was only once.
this morning male came in with fish and mom took it off nest to eat but was gone only 12 minutes. these are all doable lengths sf time.
I am no authority here, but mom has a tough season so far so I am hoping. what i noticed , is that when male comes in he comes in very close to mom, like he wants her to get up. this morning he tucked grasses around her.
I cannot continue to monitor like this but I know there are many out there that will. ( my main nest is berry and then falcons when they come back.

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:12 am

bev, Thanks for your observations and video. I don’t watch often either. Main nest is SWEFL and as you’ve probably noticed, Berry, BigBear and Dale Hollow. I am just an observer and can’t really stay on any one nest long. I think JudyB posted on it a while back.

bev.

Post by bev. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:31 pm

so it is march12. not a lot of pictures today but mom was on eggs most of day. ther e was in and outs but the only tim e she was off for an extended time was from 2:34-4:05pm- it was warm out. I think this is her feeding time and normally male would be here.

I have it all documented. The male will hopefully catch on. I only know it is her by her band.
do not know if monitors on ground, so do not know if eagles in area. they call quite often, but that could be other things flying through. would love ot be at grounnd level.
is this by a river as I saw something ( animal) just to right of snow( on ground on left side of mom)

the male did bring in a fish today and mom stole it from him and flew off with it. so sh e had a nice feed. she was gone 8 minutes. most of her in and outs were only 2 -4 minutes.

so I am pleased with today. it is a wait game. male brings in fresh straw which is positive. he is not in same place in his cycle that she is. so all is as to be expected.

some pictures form today

male back

bev.

Post by bev. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:33 pm

one of times when female left, but she was back in two

male gets so close to her. normally this is when they would do an exchange. but he is not there yet

bev.

Post by bev. » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:38 pm

I could post one hundred but they would be almost the same. lots of in and out by male and female leaves also but is back righ t away, most times

there are nestovers in net if she wants.

8:34pm and she is tucked in at nest

tomorrow a new day :rh:

bev.

Post by bev. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:45 pm

march13

will be back with some pictures. but today is better than yesterday so far. not a long time off nest. Male has brought fish which female immediately devoured. will try to watch for bands more , but I do not think male incubates yet, and this is all normal but he does keep eye in tree to right. he has stayed longer today.

will tell more later but if eggs were viable when I started watching , there is no reason why they should not still be viable. I only get all this because i have been taping. I do get a bang out of this male LOL

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:56 pm

bev, I copied and moved this very interesting and hilarious article from JudyB about this nest, Mom and her several males.

Report this post Quote
Post by JudyB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:18 pm

So Far This Nesting Season....

I found a great summary of what's been going on here on Facebook, and have asked permission from the author to copy it here. The quick version is that the resident male disappeared around mid-December, and there have been several males courting the resident female. The female is banded, so we're pretty sure this is still the female from previous years, but it's harder to tell which male is which. Stay tuned....

The following was written by Thomas Demma and posted on Facebook February 27, 2018; it's reprinted here with his permission. Link to his post to view the pictures is https://www.facebook.com/groups/2275572 ... 686018971/

The Dad Chronicles; First and Last Volume.

Sometime around mid December, Dad effectively vanished from the nest. I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows where he went. Maybe he's bowling, maybe he used the old "I'm going out for cigarettes" line and maybe he just decided he was too old for more kids and would never retire at this rate and just left. This left Mom without a mate. That is until Bill showed up and started courting Mom sometime in late January. Single women are always a big draw of course, especially single women with big feathers. It was all Mom and Bill, Mom and Bill, Mom and Bill. She must have decided Bill wouldn't be a bad catch and took him back to her place to do the bird boink.

There were always unwanted house guests in the area and Bill was shaping up to be a pretty good mate for Mom. He took on all comers and vigorously defended his new nest. Clearly he understood Castle Doctrine laws. And now Bill seems to have vanished. He was last seen throwing uppercuts like Clubber Lang against someone looking to take over his nest. This was Friday 2.23.18. He hasn't been seen or heard from since.

Friday is also the day Birdzilla made his first appearance. Whoever he is he was comfortible enough to land on the nest while mom was home. Which either makes him incredibly brave or incredibly stupid given her reputation as a brawler. He appears to have moved on also.

And now we have yet another suitor for Mom, which is the current bird occupying the nest. Where he came from is anyones guess but several people here seem to think Dad may have returned from his cigarette run. He's certainly made himself right at home including trying to convince Mom to serve up some horizontal refreshments.

Included here are four sets of pics, three of each bird. Dad, 'New Dad' Birdzilla and Bill. Draw your own conclusions.

bev.

Post by bev. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 pm

nice marianne.

well I do not know who this male is but if he a male form before , he would know what to do with eggs. I think he is a young male
he does stay for awhile now but still n incubating which i s why female still has one long while without eggs incubated( he stayed for awhile but did not incubate and then left.. but I think th e time away is doable. If they are at all like falcons , I have seen this , when a new male comes in.

I may be a dreamer but I never say never. one never knows.

I do like this male and she is used to him also.

he comes so close to her

bev.

Post by bev. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:56 pm

bev.

Post by bev. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 pm

tomorrow a new day :love: :bye 1:

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Hoping he stays and she can train him to be a great mate. Also,hope forthe best for these eggs. Time will tell.

bev.

Post by bev. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:41 pm

I thought I had posted here yesterday. will be back with 2 day report. sorry

bev.

Post by bev. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:44 pm

this is for march14

- was not as good a day, as yesterday as far as eggs go but female now is expecting male to stay with eggs and cover). he brought no food yesterday, so she would have to get her own. so she was gone one long period( over 2 hours) and one a bit shorter(1:30 hours) , but for most part was again , not away from eggs for too long. I did notice male would come back and stand by eggs for a bit. he is just not in that incubating mode yet. he does sort of sniff them and did roll one.
he comes in just after 6am every morning and then they leave together. ( for a few days he brought in fish, I guess this was the courting). if they are at all like falcons, this is normal behavior. have seen this many times at my sites. eggs may not hatch, but it is not because he i s not a good male. just not at right time in his

bev.

Post by bev. » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:46 pm

march15

today again, they were two longer periods where she was off eggs.
2 hours first thing morning. male comes in around 6:30ish every morning and they havebeen leaving together last 2 mornings. a few mornings ago, he brought in food an d she ate, but I believe he was courting her ( this we know) so now she has to hunt.
normally we have bonded pair at seasons beginning, and then after eggs female would be relieved by male first thing in morning. Sh e is expecting this. he does come in sometimes and sit at eggs bu t does not incubate. so when she is off, sh e is expecting eggs are being incubated.

there was one more time today where she ws gone for 50 minutes, but other than that, when she left she was never gone for more than 25 minutes, but usually not that long.

these eggs may not hatch, but she is doing her part and for now so is he.

I have full documentation for 4 days for all of this
he is a big male

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:07 am

Mom and new mate on the nest at 9:03am when I checked in. A lot of beaking; He brought fish to eat and then shared with Mom. After she finished she flew and he flew right after. He looked at the eggs but never incubated.Mom was gone for an hour, then came back, shimmied down on the eggs. ( out of sequence, start from bottom up)
EF3FD131-8173-41A8-8022-0E9D79CC4237.jpeg
C912D905-2F19-4821-A71A-50364BAF7B57.jpeg
284250DB-71D2-478A-B496-4D05F44B4459.jpeg

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:09 am

More
67F8BAA1-E547-4977-BCE3-6F2EE833DCCC.jpeg
67D44646-43D8-48C4-A290-99C793C2D787.jpeg
69B3092C-20DA-4D23-B2AC-0A4B8584951F.jpeg