Langdale Creek Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2021-2023 seasons

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
stim
Content Provider

Langdale Creek Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2021-2023 seasons

Post by stim » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Welcome to the Langdale Creek nest thread

If you visit the Langdale Creek nest on the Sunshine Coast, BC, Canada you are welcome to post comments and pictures here.

This nest was new to the forum in 2020 though eagles have been seen intermittently in the area for some time. There have been reports of a nest somewhere on the adjacent Camp Sunrise property but without an exact location or confirmed sighting.

In June 2020 the eagles were seen carrying sticks to the tower platform beside the loading ramp on Berth One at the Langdale BC Ferries terminal. They laid several sticks on the tower but the sticks were blown away by the wind. The eagles were seen next in November 2020, again perched on the tower but no nesting activity has been observed yet.

2020/21 - 2 adults seen at and around the ferry terminal. No info on any eaglets or fledges

2022/23 season - Starts here. :luck:
2021/22 season - Starts here. :luck:

Ma and Pa on the radio tower at the Langdale BC Ferries terminal
LangdaleCreek_20201114_082804.jpeg
The exact location of the nest is as yet unknown so the marker shows the location of the tower platform at the BC Ferries terminal where the eagles have often been seen. GPS: 49.43379734146466, -123.47191070010554
Langdale Perch.png
Multiple sightings of eagles with a possible nest location here 49°26'05.1"N 123°28'45.0"W
Langdale Possible Nest Site.png

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Langdale Creek Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2020/21 season

Post by heatherj » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Some history on this nest from last summer

June 2 2020
Eagles were seen carrying sticks to the radio tower at Berth One at the Langdale Ferry terminal. BC Ferries contacted the BC Govt Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (FLNR) for advice. They contacted David Hancock. The wind blew these sticks away

From staff at Camp Sunrise - June 6 2020
.... one eagle [has] been taking branches from our property, specifically from trees along Burns road. [An eagle] flew over us with a salmon catch last night while we were having dinner outside.

June 7 2020
[A BC Ferries worked] assured me that yes, Eddy was back with a mate and that he had started taking grasses and a large stick to the cell tower with his mate there. He visited the terminal almost daily last year around 3:15, shift change and unloading of the day’s garbage from the ferry, then would have a feast.

From FB WIldife Group - June 9 2020
We live on Grady Road in Langdale. We have watched and heard a pair of eagles every year (5 years we’ve been here) that probably have a nest very near the YMCA camp. The eagles are frequently seen from the lookout (Pixie Point) on private property off Poppel Rd. (driveway).

From FLNR - June 30 2020
I [spoke] to one of the [BC Ferries] staff on site who was familiar with recent Eagle issues and the tower. He confirmed that the Eagle pair appear to have just used the tower as a perch and not built a nest – or started to assemble nesting materials together on the tower platform. Consideration for accommodating nesting Eagles on the platform of the tower in future remains a separate issue - -one we still consider worth pursuing as an excellent public relations and educational opportunity for placing a nest camera and live broadcast on a big-screen for BCF patrons waiting in lineups. If not on the tower, then on perhaps some other artificial nesting platform within view of the vehicle lineups – or possibly an artificial nesting platform for Ospreys?

June 30 2020
[An adult was seen perched on the tower.] He was there during our hour long ferry wait, flew off low over the shoreline, Gibsons way, for something to eat then returned and ate. No sign of a mate. No nesting material.
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Some activity from November 2020

Nov 6 2020
My husband was at Langdale last Friday and spotted both eagles in the pair that may be trying to build a nest on the tower platform beside the loading ramp in berth one. David Hancock would like us to let him know of activity we witness there. If they become a nuisance for BC Ferries he may try raising a mitigation platform to attract them. Possibly even install an internet cam on it!
Another friend sailed out a bit later the same day and only saw 1 eagle. It flew out over the water from berth 2 then back in and landed in a large evergreen near the beach on berth 1 side. Perhaps a new nesting site for it? She said it disappeared into the tree.

Nov 10 2020
One of the eagles is in the same position on the radio tower and the other was perched atop one of the big trees in the camp on the Gibsons side of the terminal. There doesn't appear to be any nest building materials on the tower

Nov 11 2020
[Eagles seen] at ferry terminal this morning 11:30am approx. Eagle flew in the direction of Port Mellon.

Nov 14 2020
My husband was on the ferry this morning and heard the eagles calling out from the tower so he took a few phone pics.
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:03 pm

Reserved

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:32 pm

Thank you Heather for opening this thread. I shall be watching to see if they start to build a nest and where. :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:45 pm

2020/2021 season begins here

:luck: :luck: :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:48 pm

I travelled out on the ferry last Thu morning (Nov 19) and when I arrived at the parking lot Pa was perched on the tower. Ma arrived soon after and both were very busy preening so perhaps had just had breakfast?

When I came back later the same day one adult was on the tower while the other was perched at the top of a tree in Camp Sunrise a short way from the ferry terminal.

I did have my camera so was able to take some pics. I will upload asap

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Thank you for bringing all the information together for us here, where it belongs Heather! People are reducing ferry runs due to covid sadly. However, we have a good number of eyes on this couple. :thumlft:

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:40 am

Good morning everyone. I had a medical appointment yesterday so travelled on the 10:50a.m. ferry. I saw Ma & Pa perched on the top of the tower, before we left one had flown off but I missed seeing it go so I'm not sure which direction. They seem to enjoy perching there. Sorry no camera with me so no pictures.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:36 am

My husband crossed on the ferry yesterday. No nesting material on the platform, no eagles seen, sadly. :dunno:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:12 pm

We had reason to use the ferry again Feb 23. Again no eagles seen, heard, nor nesting material on the platform. :(

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:06 am

Husband says what looks to be a male eagle is sitting on the structure of Berth 2 this am. That's where Eddy used to sit to wait for the garbage to be unloaded during the afternoon shift change. Still no sign of nesting material on the platform.

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:46 pm

2021/2022 season begins here

:luck: :luck: :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Langdale Creek Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2020/22 season

Post by heatherj » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:49 pm

I was travelling into Vancouver on the 8:40 on Nov 8 and saw an adult eagle perched in the trees to the west of the ferry terminal. No time for any pics as I was driving up the ramp at the time and probably shouldn't even have been looking in that direction at the time let alone taking pictures! :D

But good to know that they are back!

:eagle: :clap:

stim
Content Provider

Re: Langdale Creek Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2020/22 season

Post by stim » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:24 pm

David and I noticed an eagle perched in the same area Heather, sometime in November on the 10:50.
Thank you for starting this year's thread.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”