Marsh Nest, Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC 2018/19

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
stim
Content Provider

Marsh Nest, Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC 2018/19

Post by stim » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:32 pm

Welcome to our nest! Please drop in to post pictures or comments should you see this nest in person or on this forum. This was a new nest in The Sechelt Marsh in 2017. In 2016 our adults made a couple of attempts to rebuild a fallen nest but high winds took the placed sticks before they were secure. The only new nest found anywhere near was at the top of Porpoise Bay, seen off the Public Pier. We dubbed it the Porpoise Bay nest not knowing if it was by our Marsh couple or an older Porpoise Bay couple thought to be nesting deeper into the stand of trees. A native man who lives across the bay from the nest and who has a relationship with these birds told us that they were the Marsh couple nesting there.
Now with this new nest built back at The Marsh we are watching to see if this nest and our Porpoise Bay nest are used this season or just one.

The former Marsh nest was discovered by a HWF friend Larry who was visiting us and our nests in 2012. It was a successful nest despite coming down in 2014, rebuilt and blew down again July 2015. They have changed trees for the 2016 season and now have moved back to a new tree in The Marsh.

2012 - 2 eaglets seen in July
2013 - 2 eaglets seen named Sea and Shell
2014 -2 eaglets seen. Nest was blown down during a storm July 2, eaglets fledged as far as we know.
2015 -January 27, a new nest was spotted in the same spot in the nest tree by Marg, a local HWF member. Both eaglets branched then fledged even though the nest collapsed and they had to spend a couple of weeks branching in the nest tree without a nest. The eaglets were named by our member Aspen's children... Chase & Sky!
2016-Two attempts to start a new nest were noted early in the season but the placed twigs blew down in storms. Then no evidence of nest building as a new nest appeared on Porpoise Bay.
2017-This couple built in a new tree in the Marsh, hatched 2 eaglets who somehow ended up on the ground near the end of June and were revived at OWL. Aug 1 they were both returned and released within the nesting territory. Sadly we did not know this had happened until Karen heard about and shared the information after the fact.
2018-2 youngsters hopefully fledged successfully.

No nesting took place at the Porpoise Bay nest so we have determined this must be the same couple who nested there 2015-2016.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Marsh Nest, Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC

Post by stim » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Reserved

stim
Content Provider

Re: Marsh Nest, Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC

Post by stim » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:43 pm

I have seen more eagle action during the fall and winter with perching by the nest this couple used one season on Porpoise Bay. I have seen no eagle behaviour in the Marsh until I took this photo last Sunday, the 10th of March. I question whether I am seeing part of a white head brooding? Pic can be enlarged by clicking on it x 2.
3060.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Re: Marsh Nest, Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC 2019

Post by stim » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Returning to this nest Monday the 18th revealed Pa perched in the old nest tree by the road. There was calling going on between him and someone in the nest. :woohoo: I sat on the bench across the water from the nest tree, snapping pictures intermittently, could not see an eagle in the nest for sure but thought there was movement every now and then. This was around 2:00 pm.
Pa in the old nest tree. He soon flew off across the road in the direction of the top of Porpoise Bay.
3132.jpg
No sign of brooding.
3133.jpg
3136.jpg
It was worth the wait to find these feathers in the nest. I suspect brooding is occurring. :D
3137.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Marsh Nest, Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC 2018/19

Post by heatherj » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:42 pm

Thanks for the updates Sandra. I'm glad to hear that nesting activity is progressing here.

I have visited the marsh a few times over the last few weeks when walking my dog and each time have heard or seen eagle activity. The funniest was about 3 weeks ago when I saw Pa bring a stick to the nest and carefully place it in one spot only to have Ma immediately pick it up, give Pa the stink eye and then carefully place it herself on the opposite side of the nest :) Pa looked so disappointed that Ma hadn't approved of his stick placement.

Sadly I didn't have my camera :(
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Hahaha, just like on the cams. Ma the great stick placer. I love that you saw that.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:56 pm

I was back checking on our nest yesterday to find one eagle sitting high. I would tend to guess that they've had a hatch or 2 and that brooding is on chicks now. :luck:
3277.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon May 06, 2019 10:04 am

I visited the march last Saturday (May 40 and saw one adult perched on a branch right above the nest keeping a close eye on the nest S/he stayed there the whole time I was walking around so perhaps keeping watch over some eaglets? I just had me phone camera with me so the image quality is really bad but I will post if I can tweak the pic enough to make it useful :)

Interestingly while I was at the marsh I saw another pair of eagles off in the distance in a huge tree above where the Porpoise bay nest is. I didn't have time to investigate but perhaps another pair are checking out that nest?
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed May 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Thank you for your report on our Marsh nest Heather. Adults on cam are leaving the youngsters alone in the nest but not far away. They can regulate their own body heat now.
Our friend Arlene told me that she had seen 2 adult eagles perched above and very close to the old PB best during the winter months. I've taken pictures of the nest but did not see any upgrades to it. I kind of wondered if the Marsh couple would nest there again this year but obviously they didn't. So if you know that our eaglets were being watched by an adult nearby while 2 were perched near the PB nest, we must have another couple in the area.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed May 22, 2019 12:01 pm

It's been a week since I visited this nest. Pics are from May 15. The nest sits beside a pond well used by mallard ducks and Canada geese to raise their young. Easy pickings for the eagles in the nest tree above.
Not nearly as mainly ducklings as there were. I'm sure some have been taken to Porpoise Bay for safety.
I settled on the bench across the pond from the nest tree to get these shots.
3411.jpg
3418.jpg
3446.jpg
On first arriving it looked like a feeding was going on in the nest. No crying for food heard.
3455.jpg

I saw Pa fly over the nest quite low then while I watched the goslings he must have landed in the nest.
3468.jpg
He moved a few sticks then flew out while Ma watched him depart.
3487.jpg
One more shot of the goslings while I sat enjoying myself.
3464.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Back to this nest today. I am sure I saw movement of 2 eaglets, one in behind this one. I had hardly placed myself on the bench across the pond from the nest when the eaglet or eaglets hunkered back down out of sight. Not sure which adult this is standing guard.
3526.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:29 pm

Lovely pictures of the goslings and ducklings Sandra. And of course the eagles ..... and the eaglet! :D

I visited last weekend and I agree that there are definitely fewer ducklings and goslings. And the goslings that were there are no longer cute :( They are now in the scruffy transitional feathers stage.

I visited the Marsh a couple of times in May so have a few pics of Ma and/or Pa on guard duty.
Attachments
HWF_SecheltMarsh_20190509_4923.jpg
From May 9. One adult on guard
HWF_SecheltMarsh_20190509_4957.jpg
Also from May 9, about 10 mins later. The other adult arrived to also keep watch

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:31 pm

On May 12 I walked down to the pier and saw one adult perched by a nest hole near the old eagle nest. Not sure if the hole was occupied but it certainly looks as though the adult had heard something inside. :)

This adult left shortly afterwards and flew back to the marsh
Attachments
HWF_SecheltMarsh_20190512_5110.jpg
HWF_SecheltMarsh_20190512_5117.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 pm

On a visit on May 16 I saw one adult sitting behind the nest keeping watch but nothing to see in the nest
Attachments
HWF_SecheltMarsh_20190516_5281.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:41 pm

I visited last weekend (June 1) and saw an eaglet too .... and I'm pretty sure a second eaglet! So I think you are right Sandra!

One eaglet was sitting up as I think an adult was feeding the eaglet(s) Then a second eaglets back appeared on the left :)

And to finish off, a poop shoot over the edge. Luckily no-one was walking under the nest at that moment!!
Attachments
HWF_SecheltMarsh_20190601_6106.jpg
One eaglet sitting up in the nest with an adults back just visible
HWF_SecheltMarsh_20190601_6108.jpg
Adult feeding an eaglet
HWF_SecheltMarsh_20190601_6110.jpg
HWF_SecheltMarsh_20190601_6119.jpg
Looks like a 2nd eaglet on the left??
HWF_SecheltMarsh_20190601_6122.jpg
I just missed catching the poop shoot!
HWF_SecheltMarsh_20190601_6124.jpg

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”