Mabel Rd/9th St nest on the Strait of Georgia, Sunshine Coast, Gibsons BC 2018-2019

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
stim
Content Provider

Mabel Rd/9th St nest on the Strait of Georgia, Sunshine Coast, Gibsons BC 2018-2019

Post by stim » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Welcome to our nest. It sits on private property between Mabel Rd and 9th St to the left off Gower Point Rd as you leave Gibsons. Please post any pictures or information you wish to share if you visit here.
As one leaves the Chaster Beach area towards Gibsons Mabel Rd is only the second street to the right along Gower Point Rd. The 2 territories could be side by side. I would say there is a good chance that the Larson Rd. nest territory could abut on the other side.
The nest can be seen from the top of 9th St. or the bottom of Mabel Rd or along Ocean Beach Esplanade on the waterfront.
I was told by a neighbour who has lived there for 7 years that the nest was in use when she moved there.
2016...2 eaglets fledged
2017...2 eaglets to start but as of the end of June only 1 was observed, branching by the end of July with hardly any nest left in the tree. Sad
2018...2 eaglets seem to have died in the nest in June after confrontation between Ma and another female. It looks like a subadult looking female won Ma's territory, with still a bit of brown at the end of her tail as spied March 10 2019, now a new adult.
One of the house lots, possibly the one the nest tree is on is going to be redeveloped, old house torn down, another built. Neighbours are worried about the nest tree being eliminated. I am trying to find out which lot the tree is actually on.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Mabel Rd/9th St nest on the Strait of Georgia, Sunshine Coast, Gibsons BC 2019

Post by stim » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:26 pm

On finding both eagles home on Sunday March 10 I lucked into an opportunity to check the tail feathers of the new young female. Looks like she's a new adult to me, had the ring of dark feathers of a 5 year old around the end of her tail last summer, now only has a bit of brown left.
Pictures can be clicked on x2 to enlarge.
3085.jpg
She's a lovely big girl.
3072.jpg
Pa must have gotten wings wet prior to my arrival.
3070.jpg
Pa
3084.jpg
Nest looks good.
3075.jpg
Pa did a fly in while I was speaking with a neighbour.
3089.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Mabel Rd/9th St nest on the Strait of Georgia, Sunshine Coast, Gibsons BC 2018-2019

Post by heatherj » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks for the update Sandra though its a bit worrying that there is going to be some development around there. Hopefully it won't affect the eagles. Good luck with your investigations
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

stim
Content Provider

Re: Mabel Rd/9th St nest on the Strait of Georgia, Sunshine Coast, Gibsons BC 2018-2019

Post by stim » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Thanks for dropping by Heather. Not sure what will evolve at this nest this year.
I got back down here on Thursday, April 4. There has been some tree felling going on but the nest tree remains, thankfully. I have not found out yet from anyone if the eagles were brooding before all this began. Trees very close to the nest tree have been felled. Totally wrong time of year. This happened much quicker than I had thought it would and was still trying to let the right authorities know. I hope we haven't lost the eggs through the eagles being scared and leaving them unattended for long periods of time.
The nest is now visible from 9th St.
Taken from The Esplanade, same as last visit.
3225.jpg
Next 2 pictures were taken from 9th St, a nice new nest sighting spot.
3229.jpg
3230.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:54 pm

I returned here April 9 to hear various stories from neighbours. The eagles seemed to have pretty much disappeared as the tree felling was going on but are back now. One neighbour told us that there were 2 other eagles fighting with our couple actually in the nest. She saw something fall from the nest but couldn't tell what it was. Hopefully our couple is OK and won't leave their nest unattended for a while. Our new female hasn't even had a decent chance to reproduce yet! I doubt it will happen this year, hope I am wrong!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:56 pm

Back to the nest yesterday with no sign of eagles in nor around the nest. Pic taken from the bottom of Mabel.
3318.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:54 pm

I've stopped by the nest a few times recently and haven't seen or heard any sign of eagles either, not even perched in the surrounding trees :(

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun May 12, 2019 4:16 pm

I've just come back from visiting this nest. No sign of eagles, no sign of the nest looking any different from my last photo. It's Mothers' Day so neighbours were either out or busy with families but I suspect nothing is happening here. I fear we lost our nesting season due to trees being felled all around the nest tree in late March. Now the question is, did they lose eggs laid here or did they have time to quickly build another nest and lay elsewhere? Did Ma have to simply lay eggs on the ground? If we find out, we'll let you know! :(

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed May 22, 2019 2:16 pm

A man whose property line almost abuts the nest tree has told me the couple turn up early most mornings and into evenings in their favourite perch tree. Hopefully next year they will give this nest another try. :luck:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:32 pm

Someone else who I met at this nest has let me know the eagles are taking in sticks. Great news with good intent for next nesting season.

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks for the update Sandra! That's hopeful news for next year.

Do you know if there are any actions being taken against the people that felled the trees?
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:04 pm

I let Donna McMahon, Regional Director of the area know of how I had no luck finding the right person to call in time to stop it when trying to report the active tree felling to the Region. I also updated her as to the lack of an active nest since the felling, that the eagles may have abandoned their eggs directly related to the adjacent tree felling. I also let her know that this nest is mapped with the provincial stewardship program for eagle nest protection. I can't think of much more I can do. Can you?

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:37 pm

Wow thats amazing Sandra! Good for you! :clap: Lets hope something happens. People shouldn't be able to get away with that kind of impact.

I can't think of anything else you could do but did you check with Angela? I think she's had lots of experience working with wildlife rules and regulations. She might have some ideas. I'm happy to help if she comes up with anything :)

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks for following up Sandra, I had always thought that there were bylaws / laws in place to protect eagle nests but it doesn't appear that way. Have you heard anything back from Donna McMahon ?

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:54 am

Angela was also involved in trying to stop the felling. She has even offered to give the Region a map of our known nests. I contacted her as soon as I heard the tree clearing was planned. We can talk with her during our lunch in Aug to find out results of that idea.
What occurred is illegal and I let Donna know that. She was planning to take the information with her to see how she could improve things. Hopefully we will never need to find out if she is successful. :(

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”