Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018-19

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018-19

Post by stim » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:20 am

My visit here 3:30-4:30 yesterday revealed immediately an eaglet calling in the nest tree. Not visible with the naked eye but my photo of the nest area shows it lying down. While there an adult looking like a male cruised in down the runway of road from the east, landing in the tree top! Very hard to see camouflaged in greenery but a gentleman I was talking with saw where it landed and could see it with tail bobbing. Eating behaviour? Preening? Possibly trying to entice the eaglet in the nest out by not delivering the food but eating?
The second eaglet was not visible nor heard.

All I can see of the eaglet is the head to our left, with eye and black beak to prove it is an eaglet. Enlarge to see beak and eye.
3806.jpg
The adult in the treetop, upright. Basically a shadow in the middle of the picture but a yellow talon is visible.
3813.jpg
Adult in treetop bending over as if eating. Again, a yellow talon is visible.
3814.jpg
The eaglet in the nest did not get up nor call out excessively asking for food.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018-19

Post by stim » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:49 pm

On return to this nest site on Aug 11 I saw a juvie flying upward along the road runway they use, east and up the upside of the hill. Other than that no youngsters were seen nor heard. Pa did arrive at the nest, seemed to check it out, unless he made a food drop but there was no juvie commotion to indicate that happening. He then perched on his favourite tree branch.

Checking out whatever might be in what remains of the nest?
3821.jpg
A bit of a preen after morning rain. Band not visible on right ankle.
3830.jpg
A look around his territory.
3835.jpg
Drying wings after morning rain.
3853.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Visits to the nest on the 16th and today did not reveal sights, sounds of any eagles.
Having lunch with Angela last week, she shared that she first spotted the band on Pa's ankle 19 years ago! I guess the band can be forgiven for its numbers becoming difficult if not impossible to read anymore.
I only found him, with band 8 years ago and thought that was a long time!
We know that 1 out of 2 eaglets here fledged and can only hope the second one got out of the nest and fledged as well. :luck:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:36 pm

A nice couple I met walking their dogs under the nest this month have told me they were there a couple of days about a week ago and as well as myself, did not nor hear see any sign of eagle activity.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:08 am

I am going to lock this thread now, will open a new one for our next eagle season. :thumlft:
Our friend Karen has seen Pa, id'd by his leg band. She has some good pics of him to post.

2019-2020 Season here

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”