Reay Creek Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2018/2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
sassyk
Content Provider

Reay Creek Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:26 am

Welcome to the Reay Creek Eagles thread forthe 2018/2019 season. The property the nest tree is on is in a development area and was not accessible prior to this past season. The road to the development is now open and I was able to access the nest area earlier this year. The nest is in a Cottonwood tree close to the Pat Bay Highway and is viewable from the end of Deerbrush Crescent in the development. Reay Creek runs along the back of the subdivision near Peter Grant Park, adjacent to the Pat Bay Highway then under the highway and out into the ocean just past the McTavish Road roundabout. Sadly, I did not have the opportunity to visit this nest at the end of this past nesting season and I hope the 2 eaglets that were produced in this nest successfully fledged.

The eagles have a second nest on private property on Lochside Drive, across the Pat Bay Highway. They have successfully fledged several eaglets from that nest in past seasons.

Observations and photos of these eagles can be viewed on the previous thread here.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Reay Creek Eagles, North Saanich BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:17 am

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday. There were no eagles around the nest site or on the water side of Lochside Dr. The nest will be very easy to see once the leaves on the Cottonwood trees drop.
IMG_8174 - Copy.JPG
IMG_8175 - Copy.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:21 pm

I saw one eagle perched in a tree across from the new parking lot at the airport today. I'm guessing it was one from the Reay Creek nest. The nest is quite visible now with no leaves on the trees, and there were no eagles visible around the nest area. No time for photos :(

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:24 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday and viewed the nest from the dead end street across the highway. There were no eagles seen or heard in the area.
IMG_9907 - Copy.JPG

There is not much left of the 2nd nest these eagles have used over the years.
IMG_9914 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:37 pm

One eagle on the nest yesterday, observed by one of my birding friends.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:17 pm

I visited the nest area today but did not see or hear any eagles. However, there could have been one down low in the nest incubating :luck:

IMG_0530 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:10 pm

I took a photo of the nest tree yesterday while I was standing on Lochside Dr. I will not be able to see
the nest from there when the Cottonwood trees are full of leaves. I did not see or hear any eagles in
the area, although one could have been down in the nest incubating :luck: This is the opposite side of
the nest from the above photo.
Reay Creek Nest 29 Mar. 2019.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed May 01, 2019 4:23 pm

I visited this nest site yesterday. The female was in the nest with at least one
eaglet, possibly two.
Reay Creek Eagles(1).JPG

After we had been there for 20 minutes a little fuzzy head popped up
(on the left side) and the female started feeding an eaglet.
Reay Creek Eagles(2).JPG

One last photo before we left the area. There aren't many vantage points to
see this nest. The eaglets are very fortunate to have shade from the sun.
Reay Creek Eagles(3).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:15 pm

On June 19th my birding partner visited the nest site. One eaglet was moving around in the nest. The adult male was perched in a cottonwood stand nearby. The female flew into the nest with more grass and sat in the nest. The eaglet moved around then layed down.

On June 24th my birding partner visited the nest site. One eaglet was sitting up when she arrived then the lump she had been watching got up. A second eaglet :thumlft: It stretched its wings and hopped then both eaglets were settled down in the nest when she left.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:50 pm

A new thread for these eagles for the 2019/2020 season has been opened here. This thread is now locked.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”