Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2018/2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
sassyk
Content Provider

Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Welcome to the Brentwood Bay Eagles thread for the 2018/2019 season. There are two nests in the Brentwood Bay area, both on private property, that have been monitored in previous years. The eagles from both nests have produced many offspring in previous seasons; two successful fledglings this past season in the nest on Wallace Drive and one successful fledgling in the nest near Centennial Park. The eagles can be seen hunting in the field across from their nest tree on Wallace Drive and fishing around Brentwood Bay and the nest can also be viewed from across the field on Stelly's Cross Road. The nest near Centennial Park can be viewed from the lane behing the Veterinary Hospital on the corner of Wallace Drive and Stelly's Cross Road.

Observations and photos of the eagles from both of these nests from the past season can be found here.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

elle
Content Provider

Re: Brentwood Bay Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by elle » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Saw one adult just beyond the Saanich Fairgrounds on Stellys X Rd this afternoon.
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Great to know one is back :woohoo: That's a preferred area for the Centennial Park pair to perch :thumlft:
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Kay: I figured it was from that nest and not the one on Wallace.
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:34 am

I visited the nests on the peninsula yesterday and did not see any eagles around the Wallace Dr. nest. It will be easier to see the nest once the leaves have fallen. I took a photo from the side street behind the big field across from the nest tree.
IMG_8119 - Copy.JPG

I took another photo from Stellys X-Rd. on the other side of the nest tree.
IMG_8134 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:37 am

One of the eagles from the Centennial Park nest was perched in the tree behind the nest tree preening. All photos were taken from the lane behind the vet clinic.
IMG_8122 - Copy.JPG
IMG_8124 - Copy.JPG

The nest looks like it will need some serious rebuilding.
IMG_8129 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:09 pm

I just got word that the Wallace Drive nest blew down in the recent wind storm :( This was about the 4th nest the eagles have lost. Hoping they will re-build for the coming season :luck:

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:27 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:37 pm

On Jan. 23rd my birding partner saw two adults perched in the area at the corner of West Saanich Rd. and Sluggett Rd.;
one on the west side; one on the east side along Sluggett Rd.

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday. I received information from
a WiTS coordinaror that the Wallace Dr. nest had fallen in one of the wind storms
we had recently. Here is a photo of where the nest was; in the tree on the left.
IMG_9835 - Copy.JPG

We spotted the eagles in separate trees on one of the properties on Sluggett Rd.
I believe this is the male.
IMG_9826 - Copy.JPG

The female.
IMG_9829 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:47 pm

The Centennial Park nest looks like it might have lost a few sticks on the left side.
IMG_9838 - Copy.JPG

The eagles were perched together in the tree behind the nest tree. Female on the
left with her foot hanging down.
IMG_9839 - Copy.JPG

The male was busy preening.
IMG_9843 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:34 pm

I visited both nest sites yesteday. Sadly the eagles have not built a new nest on Wallace Dr. after their previous nest blew down :( However, I did spot both eagles perched in separate trees on Sluggett Rd. They called back and forth to each other and the one in the tree closer to W. Saanich Rd. flew to the other tree and perched on a branch lower down.
Wallace Dr. female on Sluggett Rd. 29 Mar. 2019.JPG
Wallace Dr. male on Sluggett Rd. 29 Mar. 2019.JPG
Wallace Dr. eagles on Sluggett Rd. 29 Mar. 2019.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:20 pm

The nest at Centennial Park looks like it needs some TLC. It appears to have lost some sticks on the left side. I did not see or hear any eagles in the area yesterday :(
Centennial Park Nest 29 Mar. 2019.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed May 01, 2019 11:29 am

I visited the nest areas yesterday; sadly, the Wallace Dr. eagles have not built a new nest since their last nest fell late last year :(

I'm happy to report the nest at Centennial Park has 2 eaglets :woohoo: We spotted one of the adults perched in a tree near the nest tree but didn't see any movement in the nest. After a visit to the washrooms in the park we saw an adult in the nest feeding young. My birding partner set up her scope and we did see 2 beige fuzzy heads pop up at different times. I managed to get a clear photo of one of the eaglets but the other one was always behind the adult.
Centennial Park Eagle 30 Apr. 2019.JPG
Centennial Park Eagles 30 Apr. 2019.JPG
Centennial Park Eaglet 30 Apr. 2019.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:43 pm

On May 15th my birding partner saw one eaglet in the Centennial Park nest, already large with dark plumage. She saw an adult nearby earlier in the day.

I visited the 2 nests in the Brentwood Bay area yesterday; the eagles who had several nests in the Cottonwood trees along Wallace Drive have not built a new nest in that area. It is thought they might have built a new nest in a stand of Douglas Fir trees down the road but we could not find a nest there.

We did not see either of the adults in the vicinity of the nest near Centennial Park. Nor did we see or hear any eaglets in the nest :( There were no neighbours in the area to ask if the eaglet(s) did not survive. The nest is intact so perhaps if there are still eaglets they might have been napping :luck:
Centennial Park Eagle Nest.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:46 pm

I checked on the Centennial Park eagles yesterday and got a nice surprise. Two eaglets were sitting up in the nest :woohoo: We did not see or hear either of the adults until after we had been there for awhile. One flew over the park towards the nest but kept on going. We realized it was chasing an American Kestral who was nesting in a nearby snag.
Centennial Park Eaglets(1).JPG
Centennial Park Eaglets(2).JPG
Centennial Park Eaglet.JPG

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”