Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2018/2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
sassyk
Content Provider

Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:59 am

Welcome to the Oak Bay Eagles thread for the 2018/2019 season. There are 5 nests currently being monitored by locals within the Municipality of Oak Bay.

The Fire Hall eagles have a nest in a tree behind the Oak Bay Fire Hall on Monterey Avenue which they have used for many years, producing many offspring in that nest. The eagles have also used an old nest which is a short distance away on a private property at the end of York Place and have produced many offspring in that nest. It is always a guess as to which nest they will use for the current season. This past season two eaglets successfully fledged from the alternate nest on York Place.

The Golf Course eagles have had 3 nests in a tree in front of the club house on the Victoria Golf Course on Beach Drive and have produced many offspring in all 3 nests. This past season one eaglet successfully fledged from the lower nest.

The Anderson Hill eagles have had 2 nests which they have used in the past. One is in a tree on private property near Anderson Hill Park and their second nest is also on private property on a private road near Anderson Hill Park. The eagles have not nested in either of these nest for the past few years.

The Uplands eagles have a nest in a Cottonwood tree on private property near the intersection of Beach Drive and Lansdowne Road. The nest has been there for many years but the eagles seemed to prefer an alternate nest on a private property in the Ten Mile Point area for a few years. Their alternate nest fell down a few years ago and the eagles used the Uplands nest this past season, successfully fledging one eaglet.

The eagle nest on Sylvan Lane has been there for many years according to the neighbours. For the past few years it has been used by a pair of eagles, one of the eagles thought to be one of the nesting pair previously using the nest on the private road near Anderson Hill Park. The eagles successfully fledged one eaglet this past season. The nest tree is situated on the side of the narrow lane and it is not known if it is actually on private property.

Please feel welcome to post your observations and photos of the eagles that inhabit these nests if you visit their nest area. Please be respectful of the owners and neighbours when visiting nests on private property.

Information, observations and photos from previous seasons can be found here
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:08 pm

A family member who lives a few houses down the road from the golf course has seen 2 adults and a juvenile near the golf course in the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping to get out to some of the nests soon :luck:
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 pm

This afternoon there was an adult eagle on top of the Golf Course nest tree. It was backlit so I did not take a photo . Instead we headed for Anderson Hill to try to take a photo of the top of the Golf course nest from there and on the way saw an adult in the Anderson Hill perch tree. By the time we climbed up the path from Transit Rd the Anderson Hill eagle had left the perch tree but we could hear crows cawing in the distance and headed in that direction expecting to see an eagle but instead saw a Great Horned Owl!
Took many photos of the owl .............. :rh:
By that time the eagle we had seen atop the Golf Course nest was gone but the Anderson Hill eagle was back on the perch and we got some snaps in lovely late afternoon autumn light. I think it was the female; but I could not get a look for a banded talon.
Back with pix.
Happy day. The eagles are returning and the weather is fine. :thumlft:
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:46 pm

elle sounds like you did have a wonderful day with a few eagle sightings and an owl :woohoo: Looking forward to seeing some photos :thumlft:

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Here are some photos. This is the banded female as you will see if you zoom in on her left foot. !!
Anderson Hill female eagle band showing Oct 10-2018.jpg
Anderson Hill banded eagle Oct 10-2018.jpg

Member since August 2006

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:38 pm

A few more prettier ones
From afar
Anderson Hill bald eagle perch Oct 10-2018.jpg
Anderson Hill eagle Oct 10-2018.jpg
And the nicest one
Anderson Hill perch Oct 10-2018.jpg

Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:08 pm

elle I'm so glad to see you got a photo of the band :woohoo: And it's good to see one in the perch tree again! Great captures :thumlft:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 pm

I received some info from Marie last night. She had seen the fire hall pair and one from the Lansdowne nest at least 10 days ago. Her contact at 10 Mile Pt. said both Lansdowne eagles are back now. She also saw 2 adults at Peddar Bay awhile ago.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:28 pm

I am glad to hear the Fire Hall/ York Place eagles have been seen. We drove through that area this afternoon and still have not seen any evidence of them.

There was one adult on a rock on Trial Island this afternoon. I took a picture I have not viewed yet.

Member since August 2006

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Anderson Hill Bald eagle on Trial Island last weekend.
Anderson Hill eagle on Trial Island Oct 13-2018.jpg

Member since August 2006

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:19 pm

There was an adult eagle perched next to the Fire Hall nest this afternoon. :thumlft:

Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Good news :thumlft: I might take a tour tomorrow.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 pm

I hope they nest at the Fire Hall ! I forgot my camera today..............I hope you get a snap tomorrow.

Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:18 pm

I did a tour of most of the nests in Oak Bay today. I got sidetracked so I didn't have enough time to go to the Sylvan Lane nest.

There were no eagles seen or heard around the Lansdowne nest, the Fire Hall or York Pl. nests, Golf Course nest or anywhere around Anderson Hill Park and the surrounding area. The sun was glaring on Trial Island and I couldn't see if there was an eagle on the rocks or the post :roll:

On my way back from Anderson Hill I spotted a big dark blob in the Golf Course nest tree beside the upper nest. I had to go down the road to turn around so I could get a photo, even though the sun was so low and almost behind the nest tree. My last stop was the Fire Hall again before heading home. I got a nice surprise to see the female atop the big tree across the road from their nest on York Pl. I heard the male calling twice but couldn't see him anywhere. I'll post a few photos later.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Here's the female perched near the top of the nest tree on the right of the upper nest at the golf course. Sorry for the poor quality; the sun was behind the nest and low in the sky.
IMG_8265 - Copy.JPG
IMG_8266 - Copy.JPG

The York Pl. nest, taken from Prospect Pl.
IMG_8263 - Copy.JPG

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”