Roberts Bay Bald Eagle Nest- Sidney BC - 2018-2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
elle
Content Provider

Roberts Bay Bald Eagle Nest- Sidney BC - 2018-2019 Season

Post by elle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Welcome to the Roberts Bay Sidney BC Bald Eagles thread.

This thread is dedicated to observations, photos and videos of the eagles who inhabit a nest on private property overlooking Roberts Bay in Sidney BC on Vancouver Island.

The 2017 season was a very special one because we watched this Bald Eagle pair not only successfully raise 3 eaglets to fledging but also a Red Tailed Hawk. This anomaly garnered worldwide attention. It was a marvel and a privilege to watch and share the activities at this nest.

In 2018 there was only one eaglet in the nest and it successfully fledged.

We have monitored this nest for about 7 years and every year they have successfully fledged eaglets.

We wish them every success in the coming year.

Previous year threads can be accessed HERE
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Roberts Bay Bald Eagle Nest- Sidney BC - 2018-2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:29 am

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday. There were no eagles seen or heard around the bay or the nest tree. However, one of the neighbours chatted with us and said both eagles are back and were both perched in the nest tree on Tuesday. One was standing in the nest yesterday morning.
IMG_8176 - Copy.JPG
IMG_8177 - Copy.JPG

The same neighbour said she looked out her bedroom window a few mornings ago and there was a young hawk sitting on her fence. She rushed to grab her old phone and took a few photos through her window which has a screen over it. She showed us the photos, (apologizing for the poor quality) and my birding partner and I both agreed that the hawk did look like a young Red-tail. The neighbour is going to email me her photos and perhaps I can get a better look at the hawk. It would be wonderful if it was our little Spunky coming back to visit his fans :luck:
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

rainna4

Post by rainna4 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:53 pm

Thank you, Elle, for the beautiful, informative history lesson on this amazing nest! For me, it's always enjoyable to learn the background of a nest. :)

sassyk, how very exciting to have a possible sighting of the famous hawk, Spunky! That would be just amazing to know and see it's not only ok but thriving! I am also happy to hear that the adult pair has been back to the nest! Exciting news for sure. Thank you for the update :bye 1:

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:29 pm

Good Morning Everyone, Bonjour Elle, Sassyk, Rainna, …
Thanks for the news
It will be wonderful if this young hawk could be Spunky. I'm waiting for your pics ... :thumlft:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Woodlands Bleu

Post by Woodlands Bleu » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:45 am

Spunky captured the hearts and imagination of the world....
We know this little one thrived with the love from his eagle parents.....
now it would be super duper cool if he were back visiting.....

May never know, we'll see if it shows, but it's heartwarming.....
carolyn
An upside down dog is a happy dog dreaming sweet dreams.
carolyn

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:38 am

I have not received the photos of the hawk from the neighbour so I'll have to wait until I visit again.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:53 pm

I visited Roberts Bay and the nest area yesterday but did not see or hear any eagles in the area, nor did I see any neighbour's to talk to :( However, while down on the beach my birding companion spotted 2 eagles in separate trees across the bay. One flew off in the opposite direction of the nest area. I snapped a few photos of the trees but didn't manage to capture the eagles :( They were a long ways away.

I don't know why the neighbour didn't email me the photos of the hawk but she did say she just grabbed her old phone to take the photos.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:54 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday. There were no eagles seen or heard around the nest area and no neighbours to chat with. I think I see a couple of new sticks in the nest and there is a lot of new greenery on the right side.
IMG_9906 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:23 pm

I visited the nest area today and spotted one of the eagles in the tree to the right of the nest tree. I think it was the male and he was calling and calling but the female didn't answer. Unfortunately there were no neighbours out to chat with.
Roberts Bay Male 16 Mar. 2019.JPG
Roberts Bay Male(2) 16 Mar. 2019.JPG
Roberts Bay Nest 16 Mar. 2019.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:54 pm

I visited the nest area yesterday. It was very quiet; no eagles seen or heard and no neighbours to chat with. I believe it was Nora who posted on Facebook a few days ago that she saw an eagle who she thought was the female in the nest. I couldn't see if there was an eagle in the nest but didn't stay very long.

Roberts Bay Nest 29 Mar. 2019.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed May 01, 2019 12:16 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday. The female was in the nest
and appeared to be brooding young.
Roberts Bay Female(1).JPG

At one point she was holding her wings out as if she was shading the chicks from the sun.
Roberts Bay Female(2).JPG

About 15 minutes after we arrived the male flew in and landed in a tree
near the nest tree. The female called to him but he didn't have any food.
Roberts Bay Male.JPG

Canbarb

Post by Canbarb » Fri May 03, 2019 4:10 am

Thank you for the update. Hoping all goes well with their family this season.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri May 03, 2019 9:44 am

Welcome to the Hancock forum Canbarb. Yes, I hope they will have a successful breeding season :thumlft:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 am

I was away for the month of May and finally had time to visit the nest area yesterday. Both adults were perched together in a tree around the corner from the nest tree, which we thought was a little unusual. Fortunately one of the neighbours came home as we were watching the nest, so we were able to get some info on what had happened. She said there definitely were chicks in the nest; the neighbours heard them peeping. One afternoon there was a lot of screeching going on and apparently there was an intruder in the area. The male engaged in a battle with the intruder and they both landed on the road. One of the neighbours, who is a biologist, shouted at the eagles until they separated. One flew up to the nest and the intruder hopped into a shed. When the neighbour went to look in the shed awhile later the intruder eagle was gone. It was definitely injured but they don't know where it went. None of the neighbours actually witnessed the resident male attacking the intruder; they didn't go outside to look until the eagles were on the ground. Sadly, the chicks didn't survive and the adults didn't come back to the nest until recently. We didn't notice any injuries on the resident male yesterday. Very sad news :cry1:
Roberts Bay Eagle(1).JPG
Roberts Bay Eagle(2).JPG
Roberts Bay Eagles(1).JPG

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:08 am

Souvenirs ? and may be to help the guys here to re find their smiles … :huggie:

Hi every one i just wanted to let you know that a new Spunky (Spunky II) was discovered in the vicinity of Redding Ca.

Terri, MsEaglewoman, posted already two videos on her channel

Red tailed Hawk Baby in Eagle's Nest with 2 Eaglets
I found a red-tailed hawklet in an Eagle's Nest with 2 Eaglets! The adult eagles somehow took this little one in as one of their own & are feeding & caring for it along with their 2 eaglets! It's an amazing phenomena that has been documented before in 2017 on Vancouver Island in B.C.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs4CAttRnuw

and the second one

Red tailed hawklet in Bald Eagle's Nest
I went back out to check on the little red-tailed hawklet in the eagle's nest today! The little one seems to be doing well! Temperature was HOT here again today, over 100 degrees Farenheit! So the adult was providing shade for the little ones! The adult was panting which helps to cool them down! All seems to be going well so far!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw5MyZVtVqA

+2 pics from the video, thanks Terri
2019-06-19_16h08_00.jpg
2019-06-20_09h08_15.jpg
Good Souvenirs isn't it ?

If it's inapropriate here you can erase :grhug:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”