Towner Road Bald Eagle Nest- North Saanich BC-2018-2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
elle
Content Provider

Towner Road Bald Eagle Nest- North Saanich BC-2018-2019 Season

Post by elle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:35 pm

Welcome to Towner Road Bald Eagle Nest

This nest is located on Towner Road in North Saanich BC on Vancouver Island. ( just 20 minutes north of Victoria BC)

According to local information, Bald Eagles have occupied the same nest every year for at least 30 years.

A couple of years ago the long standing nest tree blew down in a winter wind storm .

Luckily the returning pair were able to build a new nest nearby and last year 2017-2018 season they fledged at least one eaglet.

It is a difficult nest to see from the land .

My hope is to be able to monitor from the sea side in the upcoming season.
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Towner Road Bald Eagle Nest- North Saanich BC-2018-2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:29 pm

I was informed by my WiTS coordinator that the nest blew down in one of our recent wind storms :( I will check the next time I'm out that way for any signs of a new nest :luck:
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:22 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:56 pm

I was informed that the eagles had built a new nest after their old nest tree blew down in a storm. On May 15th my birding partner discovered the new nest at the creek crossing on Towner Bay Rd.

I visited the area on June 12th and saw the old nest tree in pieces. We also saw one of the adults flying from the new nest towards the bay and heard an eaglet calling. We located the new nest and saw a wing flapping. It is difficult to view the nest from the path and I'm hoping the eaglet(s) will be more visible next time I visit.
Towner Park Old Nest Tree(1).JPG
Towner Park Old Nest Tree(2).JPG
Towner Park New Nest.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:28 am

David Hancock is pleased to invite all Hancock Wildlife Foundation volunteers and friends to celebrate

Fledgefest 2019

Sunday, August 18
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

RSVP REQUIRED BY BY AUGUST 1ST TO:
Rosana Inacio: [email protected]
or
Sharon (gemini): [email protected]
See details HERE

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:54 pm

On June 19th my birding partner saw one eaglet moving around in the new nest. An adult was perched nearby calling then flew off towards the farm area. It came back and dropped prey in the nest then left again. The eaglet was heard calling.

On June 24th my birding partner saw one adult perched in a tree south of the nest. She saw 2 eaglets stretching their wings and flapping :woohoo: The adult flew off over the farm fields. One eaglet moved to the side of the nest and was preening while the 2nd eaglet was flapping its wings.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:35 pm

A new thread for these eagles for the 2019/2020 season has been opened here. This thread is now locked.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”