Marlene Rd Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast BC 2018 & 2019

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
stim
Content Provider

Marlene Rd Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast BC 2018 & 2019

Post by stim » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Thank you for dropping by this nest forum. The nest is on private property almost at the beach in Roberts Creek on the Sunshine Coast in British Columbia.
HWF member Karen discovered by talking with neighbours that apparently the eagles have been in this neighbourhood for years, changing trees every now and then. This nest was apparently built about 2014.
Last year was our first year following it.
The address would be of a house on Beach Ave but the nest can be seen best on Marlene Rd just behind the mailboxes below Beach Ave.
This is one of 3 nests in a row along the beach.
Please feel free to comment or to post photos if you visit the nest or our forum.

There was 1 big well fed eaglet in this nest this past year. We do not have reports of its flying but we hope it fledged successfully. It was branching well and by the time it disappeared there was no nest left.
We were concerned that this couple was building in another tree. On Feb 5 there was still no nest visible so I locked the thread.
On dropping by yesterday I found the nest as reported to us by a neighbour higher in the tree with a sighting of who looks like Ma down low inside of it! :woohoo:

2017...1 eaglet

stim
Content Provider

Re: Marlene Rd Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast BC 2017-2018

Reserved

stim
Content Provider

Re: Marlene Rd Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast BC 2017-2018

Reserved

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:00 pm

I checked on this nest tree yesterday to find a good sized nest higher up in the tree as reported to us by a neighbour. On zooming in on my pictures there is evidence of brooding going on very low down. Needless to say I was very excited after locking our old thread and finding no evidence of nest until now.
1061.jpg
If you look carefully you can see the white head with yellow beak to the far right by the branch with the upswing. Pictures can be clicked bigger x 2.
1062.jpg
Zooming right in on the picture it looks like I was getting the evil eye from Ma. :D Yes, I found you!
1058.jpg

Mushka

Re: Marlene Rd Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast BC 2018

Post by Mushka » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:24 pm

I stopped by the nest today and it doesn't look like much has changed since you were there Sandra, a face peeking out from the same spot you saw :) Except, maybe sitting a bit higher ?

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

514-1.jpg
514-3.jpg
Face peeking out from the nest

stim
Content Provider

Re: Marlene Rd Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast BC 2018

Post by stim » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:29 am

Yes, that peeking face does look to be sitting a bit higher. How cool if we'll be able to see eaglets through the peek hole peeking at us! :D

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Tue May 15, 2018 8:28 pm

I stopped by the nest today and it looked like one of the adults was feeding an eaglet (or two); hard to find a good spot for pictures of the adults in the nest now due to the angle of the nest and high pile of branches on the road side.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

115-1.jpg
A bit hard to see, adult at the top right of nest. Watched for a while and movements seemed to indicate the adult was feeding a youngster
123-1.jpg
Taking a break and looking around

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed May 16, 2018 11:28 am

Great pictures Karen with hatch update. It looks like we are balancing each other off nicely with nests visited. I'm reporting today on a few others. I don't like that you mention a high pile of branches on the roadside! I was so enthused with the clearing that had taken place!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri May 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Sorry, what I wrote wasn't very clear. I should have said big pile of branches on top of the nest on the road side :-)

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:40 pm

I stopped by here on June 11 with no sign of eagles. Nest still looks stable.
1737.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:39 pm

I've stopped by the nest a few times since my visit in May, but haven't seen any sign of adults since then nor any youngsters. Today was the same, except I did hear what sounded like an eaglet calling.

Karen H

143.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:40 am

An eaglet calling is encouraging. I'm seeing Angela next week. She has a friend who lives near the nest. Will share if she has any news.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:22 pm

That would be great Sandra! I only heard it for a very short time and it was hard to tell if it was actually coming from the nest or across the road.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Seems like my ears may have been playing tricks on me when I thought I heard an eaglet calling the last time I stopped by the nest. Though it was only for a short time and I couldn't really tell where the sound was coming from. I was there again this morning, and all was quiet. A woman was walking by and asked what I was taking pictures of, I pointed to the nest and asked if she had seen or heard any eagle activity during her walks. She said she hadn't in that area, but had seen a pair of adults perched in a tree and circling overhead by Edmonds Road many times and thought there may be a nest close by there . . . will have to check that out :-)

As we were talking a man came by walking his dog and joined in the conversation. Turns out he lives in the house two properties from the corner and can see both the nest and the perch tree the adults use. He said that he has seen the adults around but hasn't seen or heard any youngsters in the nest this year. Humm

On side note he said that if you go down Marlene to the beach access and walk to the right there is a large boulder with a large tree (either over hanging it, or close to it) which is where the adults perch. Apparently they perch at the top of the tree most times but if they catch something they fly in lower down in the tree to eat. Good to know, will have to check that out.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:17 am

Great information Karen. Thanks for checking things out again and sharing. I'll have to see where Edmonds Rd lies. Angela and I were there on Wednesday but she didn't have any further information to share from her friend. All was quiet at the nest and she too was concerned about the flimsy looking branches supporting the nest.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”