Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2018-2019

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
stim
Content Provider

Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2018-2019

Post by stim » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:22 pm

Welcome to this eagle nest thread! The nest is located in upper west Sechelt on the trail system in Kinnikinnick Park. It can be spotted with difficulty from the trail near the felled "Eagle Tree" stump entrance or from the parking area there where Sandpiper Rd. meets Heritage Rd.
It is away from a water source in more of an agricultural/new development type area.
We have known about this nest for many years. Marg showed it to me in 2010. She and Earl found it 1 or 2 years before that. However we could never actually confirm viability. Last year Aspen, another HWF member told us it was being used.
It has proven to be a popular soaring spot for eagles high atop a hill overlooking Sechelt Inlet. It's a long way to carry a fish to the nest though!
The tree has taken a beating through the years. Last year we saw an eagle in the nest a couple of times in May with the other perched on trees that have been used as perch trees through the years.
However in early June last year Aspen discovered that the top of the tree had broken off and taken the nest with it. I went a couple of times looking under the nest but could find no sign of a grounded eaglet.
Looking for a new nest this year we found one in the same tree on a sturdy branch coming out from the trunk.

Marg's notes on the Kinnikinnick Park Nest

2008 ?
2009 ?
2010 no eaglets seen
2011 No eaglets seen
2012 Ma & Pa spotted in trees near the nest July .
2013 Eagles were seen November 21 and in December. Nov 21st I was told by a neighbour that they were building a new nest close to the old one. No nest located.
2014 Not used
2015 "
2016 "
2017 Nest being used but fell early June. No sign of a grounded eaglet a few days later.
2018 A feeding was seen occurring in May, 1 eaglet could be heard but after that no sign of eagle activity, sadly.

If you visit this thread and wish to comment please do!
Kinnik.jpg
Kinnik.jpg (86.41 KiB) Viewed 7545 times
The nest tree after breakage and fall of nest last June, 2017.
217.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Re: Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2018

Post by stim » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:32 pm

In February David and I visited to find a new nest in what is left of the nest tree. I doubt we will be able to see it after the bushes between us and the nest grow their foliage.
642.jpg
647.jpg
648.jpg
Pa perched at the entrance to the parking area, a long time perch tree.
643.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Re: Kinnikinnick Park Eagle Nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2018

Post by stim » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:35 pm

March 12 I returned to find the nest from the walking trail. It could be seen on a sunny day not too far from the entrance to the trail. During this visit I did not see nor hear any eagles.
797.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed May 16, 2018 11:58 am

As suspected I could not find this nest yesterday from the parking area due to plant growth. As I stood there though an eagle looking like Pa flew right into the area of the nest. So I gathered up my camera and entered the hiking path. During this time Pa must have flown out of the nest as while I was standing taking pictures of the nest he flew in again. I could hear what sounded like 1 eaglet calling for food with each arrival. Let's hope we have survival this year unlike last year when the nest and top of the tree fell.
1458.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Back again June 19. No eagles seen nor heard. This is the nest tree as seen from the trail.
1803.jpg
Sadly, a plastic garbage bag was found hanging from the bottom of the nest. Nest location is quite near the local landfill.
1804.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Back to the nest July 4 but no eagle sights nor sounds.

The same result yesterday, July 31.
Again on Aug 7, no sign of eagles.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:10 pm

As we don't know if there was a successful fledge here last year and my visit on Monday, April 1 did not reveal any eagle activity, we may as well just continue this thread rather than open a new one.
I could not tell if the nest looked like it had been added to. Taken from the trail.
No sign of eagles soaring, perched or in the nest.
3173.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Re: Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2018-2019

Post by stim » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:20 pm

I visited again yesterday but could not see any sign of eagles in the nest. However, the male flew over, then started calling and there was answering from within the nest. :w00t: We have brooding.
Pa was perched on the old dead tree at the end of the parking area at Heritage and Sandpiper before disappearing over the nest while giving a warning call.
3269.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Re: Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2018-2019

Post by stim » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:53 pm

An eagle loving friend and her husband found this nest on Sat April 22. Apparently there was lots of activity apparent by the adults. Great news!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu May 16, 2019 10:44 pm

While driving around the Heritage Road area on Monday (May 13) a sequence of events led me to this nest. I was driving down Crowston Road and spotted an adult eagle standing in a field, I pulled over wondering what he was up to. It didn’t take long for me to find out, after a short time the eagle flew off with his meal, a hen! I’m assuming he was resting in the field as he was having a bit of difficulty flying with the weight of the hen. I soon lost sight of the eagle after he flew in amongst brush and trees.

After driving around for a while looking for birds or other wildlife, I ended up at Sandpiper Road. I could hear an adult eagle calling and calling, then flying out of the park, doing short fast flights and then heading back to the trees. Remembering there was a nest here somewhere I decided to try and locate it by walking the trails. I could hear the adult calling but couldn’t find from where. Giving up for a while I left and drove around, but ended up back there. This time I started walking to the end of Sandpiper Road and out of nowhere the eagle I had first seen with the hen flew out of the trees and past me, this was an hour after I had first seen him. He landed in a tree further down the road so I slowly made my way there and could see him with what remained of the hen. Not much by this time.

After resting for a few minutes, the eagle then flew past me again still carrying the hen, going back in the direction he had came from but this time veered into the trees and landed in the nest, which I’d been unable to see until now. Yay! He dropped the hen of, the pair did a bit of calling / nattering back and forth to each other and then off he went again.

(I'm referring to the eagle with the hen as 'he' though I don't know if that is correct)

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

091-1.jpg
Adult standing in the field
101-2.jpg
Flying away, carrying the hen
136-2.jpg
An hour later, perched in a tree at the edge of Kinnikinnick park with the remains of the hen

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Two more pictures from that day, of the nest

173-1.jpg
The pair in the nest after he arrived with the remains of the hen
182-2.jpg
Picture of the nest standing by the field with the cows, I crossed over the ditch to stand by the fence for a better view. I've included a red arrow to make it easier to see the remaining adult in the nest

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri May 17, 2019 8:52 am

Absolutely awesome pictures Karen! :w00t: I am glad you found this nest, not an easy challenge. I don't know where Crowston Rd is nor which field has crows. Horses I know. Some time when we meet up you can enlighten me further. Looks like you found a decent spot from which to get photos. :thumlft: I normally go in on the trail. I love the very large trunk of this broken tree.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun May 26, 2019 10:09 pm

You're right Sandra, it's not an easy challenge to find this nest ! Stopped by again this morning, now that I know where it is, except this time I couldn't locate the nest with no adult being visible in it. Will have to print off one of my earlier pictures and take it with me next time to locate area / branch on the tree. But, did see the couple perched on a tree at the end of the road. Can really see the size difference when they are perched next to each other.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

244-1.jpg
Perched in the tree at the end of the road
243-1.jpg
Such a difference size in size when they are perched side by side
259-1.jpg
Mom and calf in the field across the road from the nest, dad was close by

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon May 27, 2019 9:01 am

That old tree is a favourite perch tree for these eagles. I've seen mating occur there as well as perching. I'm so glad you are becoming familiar with this couple. :thumlft:

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Mon May 27, 2019 11:51 am

Hi Karen so glad you saw this nest it is difficult to see. EARL AND I mostly viewed it from the road. Good pics Karen and stim.Thanks.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”