Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2018-2019

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
Mushka

Re: Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2018-2019

Post by Mushka » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Stopped by the nest this morning and again had problems locating the nest, I could find it if I walked into the trails and looked from the back side, but not from the road. Finally figured out I was looking at the wrong broken topped tree from the road :)

I could hear a youngster calling off and on but couldn't see him/her from the trail so kept looking from the road by the field fence and eventually saw some movement . . . and there he was!

Sadly there appears to be quite a bit of plastic hanging close to the nest and possibly even a mound in the nest (the light coloured area in the nest), though couldn't confirm if the mound I can see in the nest is actually plastic. While I was there, approx. 40 mins I didn't see or hear any adults.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

067-1.jpg
A bit hard to see as the eaglet is looking out at the road towards me, located in the top left hand quarter
069-1.jpg
Can see the eaglet a bit better in this picture

stim
Content Provider

Re: Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2018-2019

Post by stim » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:23 pm

Really too bad about the plastic. I hate it in the nest. Great shot of the eaglet! Yay! :woohoo:

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:22 am

David Hancock is pleased to invite all Hancock Wildlife Foundation volunteers and friends to celebrate

Fledgefest 2019

Sunday, August 18
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

RSVP REQUIRED BY BY AUGUST 1ST TO:
Rosana Inacio: [email protected]
or
Sharon (gemini): [email protected]
See details HERE

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:28 pm

While I was in Sechelt on Monday (July 8th) I had time to take a drive up to visit the nest, at first I couldn't hear or see any eagle activity but after a few minutes heard the call of an eaglet coming from either the nest or somewhere in the nest tree. But couldn't pin point where.

I kept looking, going back and forth between the road and the trail and finally saw the top of a head in the nest (behind some greenery) from the road side. After calling for a while the eaglet eventually stood up so I was able to get some pictures of him/her before he moved to the back of the nest. I then went back into the trail and kept trying to find a good vantage point to see more than just the eaglets back (his head was behind a branch) and finally went off the trail and did a bit of 'bush whacking' to find a spot, when I stepped onto a branch and it broke the eaglet heard the noise, turned and looked down directly at me :) Sadly, he was looking out between a piece of plastic hanging off a branch above the nest. But, at least he is there and appears to be doing okay, though calling a lot. I didn't see or hear any adults during the time I was there.

Karen H

079-1.jpg
Eaglet finally appears, calling.
090-1.jpg
Just before he moved to the back of the nest and out of sight again
114-1.jpg
Taken from the trail side

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Wow Karen, you got excellent pictures considering how difficult it is to get any of this nest. Your last one is worthwhile despite the plastic because of eaglet framed and looking right at you. I love it! :w00t: I agree though, too bad the frame is plastic.

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Mushka wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:28 pm
While I was in Sechelt on Monday (July 8th) I had time to take a drive up to visit the nest, at first I couldn't hear or see any eagle activity but after a few minutes heard the call of an eaglet coming from either the nest or somewhere in the nest tree. But couldn't pin point where.

I kept looking, going back and forth between the road and the trail and finally saw the top of a head in the nest (behind some greenery) from the road side. After calling for a while the eaglet eventually stood up so I was able to get some pictures of him/her before he moved to the back of the nest. I then went back into the trail and kept trying to find a good vantage point to see more than just the eaglets back (his head was behind a branch) and finally went off the trail and did a bit of 'bush whacking' to find a spot, when I stepped onto a branch and it broke the eaglet heard the noise, turned and looked down directly at me :) Sadly, he was looking out between a piece of plastic hanging off a branch above the nest. But, at least he is there and appears to be doing okay, though calling a lot. I didn't see or hear any adults during the time I was there.

Karen H

079-1.jpg

090-1.jpg

114-1.jpg

Thanks Karen for the report and pictures :rh: it is so nice to finally see an eaglet here at Kinnikinick!

Marg
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:53 pm

Thank you Sandra and Marg. It is a bit of a difficult nest to see, but I'm so glad that I finally found where it is.

I took a drive to visit the nest this morning and as I was driving along Sandpiper Road towards a parking spot, I saw a dark shape perched in the tree the adults perch in. Once I parked and started walking towards the tree I could hear calling and realized it was the eaglet out of the nest. Wow!

Not what I was expecting to see lol

I walked closer to the end of the road and took a couple of pictures while the eaglet was still calling off and on. And then, off he flew heading back towards the nest tree, but didn’t quite go that far and perched in a tree close by. I couldn't see into the tree because of the sun but could hear the eaglet calling and calling as if to say "here I am" to his parents. Then he quietened down. I had to leave but wish I could have stayed longer to see if an adult came by or whether he actually flew back right to the nest.

After so many years without a fledgling at this nest it's so wonderful to see that not only did the nest survive this year but the eaglet did too.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge - due to the position of the sun all of the pictures are pretty much silhouettes

072-1.jpg
Dark silhouette in perch tree at the end of the road
075-1.jpg
Eaglet!
081-1.jpg
Calling

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Two more pictures from this morning

Karen H

085-1.jpg
At first I thought he was just stretching, but no off he went
087-1.jpg
Flying overhead heading back towards the nest, but landing in a tree close to the nest tree instead

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:33 am

Oh Karen, your viewing the eaglet is perfect. I am glad you are onboard to help with the viewing of this nest. Our eaglets sure cooperate with your visits! Yes, seeing the youngster flying around is so much better than assuming it's fledged! Thank you! :hug:

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:05 pm

Great pictures of the eaglet Karen! Thanks.
:bye 1:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:40 pm

I was in the area today and while driving down along Heritage Road nearing Sandpiper Road I saw a young eagle fly down along Sandpiper, coming from somewhere near the nest tree. The youngster flew across Heritage Road and landed in a tree in the field with the two horses in it. So am thinking that it was the youngster, still in the area. He/she wasn't calling, just sitting quietly in the tree.

Karen H

071-1.jpg

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:25 am

Great picture Karen, thanks for the report.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:02 am

How cool to see our eaglet flying free like that. You must have felt proud.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:49 am

A REMINDER:

FLEDGEFEST is coming up soon!

Don't forget to RSVP by August 10

Details HERE

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:32 pm

After a successful season I will lock this thread and prepare for reports on another one.

The 2019-2020 season is HERE

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”