Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018/2019

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
stim
Content Provider

Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018/2019

Post by stim » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Welcome to this thread. Please feel free to post any sightings or information you wish to share when you drop by this nest.
The nest tree is located at the bottom of Larson Rd, to the left off Gower Point Rd as you drive west out of Gibsons. It is directly before you at the top of a steep hill down to the Strait.
This is an established nest as discovered by our HWF friend Karen, while talking with the neighbour to our left of the nest tree. They moved into the house there in 2008 at which time the nest was in use. It has been productive every year since except for 2016 when the eagles chose to build in another nest tree after much of their old nest fell. Although we could not see the new nest, we were assured that 1 eaglet was successfully raised there.
They returned to this nest tree for their 2017 season, successfully fledging 1 youngster as far as we know. Karen saw it branching in the tree, then it was gone. At the same time no nest was left, just a small pile of sticks.
We suspect that this territory is one of 3 in a row along the Strait to Chaster Beach.

2017... 1 eaglet seen branching.
2018... nest not used
2019... 2 eaglets safely fledged

stim
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast

Post by stim » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Reserved

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:31 pm

A visit to the nest tree on a brilliant sunny afternoon Oct 8/17 still found little of the nest left.
035Larson.jpg
And there was Pa in what seems to be a favourite perch tree to our left and a bit downhill from the nest tree.
040Larson.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:33 pm

I returned Jan 22 and did not find any eagles but a nest that is being rebuilt! :woohoo: I hope this continues and that we get to enjoy another season here.
379Larson.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Another drop by March 11 found Pa in his perch tree and a nest looking somewhat rebuilt. No signs of brooding could be seen in the nest. I hope the nest is sturdy enough. Pics can be enlarged by clicking on them x 2.
784Larnest.jpg
779LarPa.jpg
785LarPa.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2017-2018

Post by heatherj » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:13 am

Wishing the Larsons a happy successful nesting season! :)
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Marg
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2017-2018

Post by Marg » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Good that you saw the Larson eagle Sandra. Hoping for a good season. :)
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Thank you for stopping by Heather and Marg. Yes, we will all keep our fingers crossed for another successful season for this couple. :luck:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:22 pm

Thank you for opening this thread Sandra.

I stopped by the nest yesterday while out but didn't see any eagle activity at all, no eagles in any of the trees I could see and no head in the nest, though if the nest is sloped towards the water side as it was last year it might be hard to see any brooding activity for a while.

005-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your findings Karen.

I stopped by again April 14. I saw a male soaring east of the nest, very close, turned and flew away as I arrived. No sign of brooding. Nest looks identical to your last picture Karen.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:55 pm

I've stopped by the nest a few times (the most recent being yesterday) since my last visit and have had no luck seeing any activity in or around the nest. I have been hoping to see the people who live at the bottom of the road to the left, they were very helpful last year with information on the goings on at the nest as they have a good view of it from their back deck and have watched it for years. So far, I haven't seen them or been able to chat with them though.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon May 21, 2018 9:40 pm

After stopping by numerous times whenever I've been in the area and never seeing any activity at the nest, today I was prepared for the same. As I got out of the vehicle and scanned the nest and area, seeing nothing, I was surprised to suddenly hear a commotion from a bird out of sight, lots of shrill, chattering. I then saw an eagle coming from the trees to the left with a bird following in close pursuit, the eagle flew to and landed in the nest. Yay!

A few seconds later the same scenario repeated itself, with more shrill chattering coming from a bird, again in pursuit of an eagle coming from the same direction as the first. I couldn't get a clear shot due to the trees / branches. But that eagle flew to the nest too. After seeing nothing for months, there were now two adults in the nest !

I zoomed in to the bird that had been chasing the eagles and was surprised (or maybe not due to the behaviour) to see it was a Merlin falcon.

While I watched, the adults didn't appear to be feeding any youngsters they were just perched in the nest looking out. Due to the direction they both came from I'm wondering if they are using the old nest they used the year before last ? Hopefully will see some activity again and hopefully be able to talk to the people at the bottom left hand side of the road who watch the nest from their deck to confirm if it is being used this year.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge.

032-1.jpg
A bit hard to see but one adult is in the nest, can see a bit of the back and tail to the right. While the second adult flies in.
046-1.jpg
Both adults perched in the nest, looking out.
036-1.jpg
The Merlin that was chasing them both as they flew to the nest

Marg
Content Provider

Post by Marg » Tue May 22, 2018 6:46 am

WOW Karen what a visit! Great that you were there at the right time! Thanks!
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue May 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Very interesting activity Karen! I suspect they were threatening the merlin's nest. They might have directed it back to their unused nest or any youngsters were lying low in the nest we can see knowing danger was around. I'm surprised a merlin was threatening them though, so much smaller. I guess the talons would hurt.
:chin:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu May 31, 2018 5:04 pm

I finally got down here this afternoon. No sign of anyone in the nest but who I think was Pa was perched in the tree they seem to like to our left of the nest. Had I not looked carefully and decided to check out the suggestion of his brown body in the tree I would have missed him.
1631.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:04 pm

I returned yesterday close to 5:00. While looking and wondering what is going on here an eagle flew from my left, water side of the tree towards my right. It must have landed in a tree on my right but I couldn't find it. It was calling out. Soon I noticed a turkey vulture fly from my right water side of the tree to my left.
Nest looks the same, no movement seen.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:34 pm

I haven't seen any eagle activity at the nest since the end of May, when one of the adults perched in the tree to the left of the nest tree was being dive bombed by crows who probably had a nest close by. Since then I have stopped by multiple times on my way to the beach with one of our dogs, and haven't seen any adults around or signs of youngsters in the nest.

When I stopped by this morning I was able to talk to the fellow who lives in the house at the bottom of the road, on the left. They can see the nest from their deck and have lived there since 2008. I asked if he had seen any activity at the nest and he said he has seen the adults a few times at the nest for a brief visit. But hasn't seen or heard the usual activity of the adults flying back and forth, calling, staying / perching at the nest and hasn't seen or heard any youngsters so far. So doesn't believe the nest is being used this year. But he will continue to keep any eye on it, just in case.

Karen H

032-1.jpg
Picture taken at the end of May, adult being dive bombed by crows

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Thank you for this Karen. I'm so glad you spoke with the next door neighbour to the nest tree. Like you, I visit, see nothing and leave, was going to do so again this week. It's a bit late now to hope for eggs. :roll:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Still no eagle activity on Wed July 4. :cry1:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:37 pm

I have not thought this nest has looked to be in use this year, 2019, but reports from people who have spoken with the neighbour who lives beside the nest tree report that he says the nest is in use. I have seen nor heard any sign of eagles here during the winter nor spring. I do hope it is in use! :luck: This is the only position we can shoot from. No sign of brooding.
3233.jpg

Mushka

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018/2019

Post by Mushka » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:35 pm

I've stopped by this nest a couple of times recently but haven't seen any activity until today. While I was driving down the road and almost at the bottom I saw an adult standing on the edge of the nest. Yahoo! I didn't even take the time to park properly, just stopped the vehicle and grabbed my camera, but even in the short time it took me to do that the adult had disappeared by the time I hopped out of the vehicle. I didn't see the adult fly off so am assuming that it was in the nest. Took pictures from various positions on the road and couldn't really see anything, but did see what I thought was a slight movement in the nest. When looking at the pictures there may be a spot of white in amoungst the branches, but hard to say for sure. I'll have to go back and see if it is there next time.

Karen H

039-1.jpg
Nest showing possibly a small patch of white to the right of the middle branch of the tree
039-1arrow.jpg
Closely cropped picture with an arrow pointing to what might be a patch of white in amongst the branches.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018/2019

Post by stim » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:17 am

Yes Karen, that bit of white looks suspiciously optimistic! Fingers crossed! :luck: :thumlft:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:27 pm

Back to the nest again yesterday. Still no signs of eagles for me. The nest pics I took show the very same bit of white you found in your last visit Karen, in the very same spot. I can't tell if it is an eagle's head but think not when I zoom right in. Perhaps I should stop doing that! Your report was much more encouraging than mine. :D
3324.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:03 pm

I must have stopped by at just the right time yesterday, was around 2:30, at first I didn't see any activity in the nest but was happy to see an adult perched in the tree to the left of the nest tree. I checked out the nest and couldn't see anything, but after a few minutes saw a slight movement! Which turned into a wing flap and then a whole body coming into view.

Finally the adult who had been out of sight in the nest appeared. After looking around for a few seconds she or he called out a few times with the one in the perch tree responding, and then left. Flying past the adult in the perch tree. That adult then flew to the nest, and disappeared into the nest. Once again making the nest look unoccupied.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

040-1.jpg
Adult that had been hiding in the nest appears
046-1.jpg
And after a few calls, leaves
053-1.jpg
Flying past the adult in the perch tree

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:10 pm

A few more pictures from yesterday

055-1.jpg
Adult that was in originally in the perch tree heads to the nest
057-1.jpg
058-1.jpg
And once again the nest looks unoccupied, even though there is an adult in there somewhere

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:56 am

Excellent timing and captures Karen! You've proven our point here, eagles cannot be seen brooding in this nest. Likely eaglets as well until they are of good size. Your pictures truly tell the tale of what is going on here. :thumlft:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon May 06, 2019 9:58 am

Thanks for the updates Sandra and Karen. Good to know that there is activity at this nest this year :)
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu May 16, 2019 8:06 pm

A quick stop by the nest yesterday showed what appeared to be the shape of a head in the nest, when I zoomed in on the pictures I could see that I was being watched by the occupant of the nest :)

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

010-1.jpg
View from the road, cropped slightly to easier see the shadow / shape of the head in-between the two branches on the right hand side of the nest
010-2.jpg
Closely cropped picture showing whoever is in the nest looking out at me
015-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri May 17, 2019 9:03 am

:w00t: Excellent captures Karen! This eagle has made a liar out of me saying we cannot see an eagle brooding in this nest. By now it is likely just next to the youngsters in good weather, pushed closer to the edge and we can see it! I love being proved wrong in a situation like this. :woohoo:

Marg
Content Provider

Post by Marg » Sat May 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi Karen, I've finally been able to check the HWF thread. Thank you for the update!
Member since 2006

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”