Ma & Pa Sidney BC Bald Eagles -Patricia Bay - 2017-2018 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
elle
Content Provider

Re: Ma & Pa Sidney BC Bald Eagles -Patricia Bay - 2017-2018 Season

Post by elle » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:51 pm

Food delivery
Food delivery at Epicure nest July 28-2018.jpg
Meanwhile at the beach, Pa perched on one of those poles that were erected and have Purple Martin nest boxes attached.
Pa on the post on the beach July 28-2018.jpg
Pa surveying the beach from the post July 28-2018.jpg
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Great pictures elle. Thanks.
:bye 1:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks elle. Great to see Genesis getting some air :woohoo:

I was out on the peninsula this afternoon. Genesis was sitting in the nest looking out to the back screeping. I saw some big black wings soaring in behind the oak trees but didn't see the adult. Genesis was still sitting in the same spot when I left. I stopped again later after I had visited the osprey nest on Marina Way and Genesis was still sitting in the same spot :roll: I saw Pa perched in the field tree watching Genesis so I stopped to get a few photos which I will post later. I am planning to visit again during the week and hopefully I'll see some action :luck:
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:42 pm

A few photos of Genesis in the nest yesterday afternoon. She was screeping and looking up at the adult who had landed somewhere behind the oak trees.
IMG_9890 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9895 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7030 - Copy.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:46 pm

2 photos of Pa yesterday in the field tree.
IMG_7074 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7077 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 pm

I visited the nest area today with a friend. Pa was perched in one of the trees on the former Epicure property close to W. Saanich Rd. Viewing the nest from the driveway at the south end of the property, Genesis was perched on the left side of the nest. Missy was perched in the tree next to the nest tree. She flew into the nest and was feeding Genesis. We viewed the feeding, which went on for quite awhile, from the new driveway on W. Saanich Rd. Missy flew out towards the area where Pa was perched. Genesis was quite active, wingercizing and jumping, getting some air time. After Genesis had settled down for a nap we heard Pa squawking and saw him being chased by an Osprey. He landed at the back of one of the trees on the farmer's field where I couldn't get a photo of him. I'll post some photos later.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:00 pm

This is the eagle I thought was Pa perched in the tree on the former Epicure property near W. Saanich Rd., taken from the south end of the property across from the beach. The more I look at this eagle the more I think it doesn't look like our Pa :dunno: These photos have been cropped a lot.
IMG_7138 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7153 - Copy.JPG

This is Genesis on the left side of the nest, taken from the same spot.
IMG_7142 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:07 pm

Taken from the same spot as the previous photos; the adult I'm assuming is Missy landing in the nest.
IMG_7143 - Copy.JPG

Missy feeding Genesis. These photos were taken from the new driveway on W. Saanich Rd.
IMG_7163 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7184 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:09 pm

Genesis wingercizing and getting some air.
IMG_7201 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7204 - Copy.JPG

Looking for bits of prey; still hungry :D
IMG_7208 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:17 am

I am posting these photos here not knowing if this eagle is our Pa or Ma or one of the intruders that was in the area around Pat Bay last year. Some neighbours have kept me updated on eagles they have seen in the area last season and earlier this season and it could be one looking to set up a new territory at the south end of Pat Bay. This one was perched in a tree close to the pottery shop yesterday. I couldn't get a good photo from any angle; too many little branches in the way and the glaring sun. These photos were taken from the beach path below where the eagle was perched.
IMG_7127 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7129 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7132 - Copy.JPG

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks so much Kay. It is a great pleasure to see Genesis getting such height above the nest. She will be branching soon and then fledging in a couple of weeks or so. :luck:
I will be away most of August so I look forward to your documentation of the branching and then the fledge.
You have referred to the adult female as Missy but I think we concurred Missy was replaced by the female I call New Ma ; hence such a late egg laying and hatch.
The male in the south field is definitely Pa. He now has a notch in his white neck feathers as is quite visible in my previous pictures July 28.
As for the one down by the old potter shop....very distinct looking .....that must be an intruder. I had hoped they had gone away :(
Could very well be just one passing through on migration.

Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:44 pm

elle I was assuming the female in the nest was Missy because she has a long skinny neck :dunno: She is definitely not our Ma and as long as she is taking care of Genesis who is Pa's offspring I'm happy :) And I don't mind calling her Ma. The Pa in my previous photos definitely looks like our old Pa, but the one I saw yesterday looked different :chin:

I have kept in touch with the neighbours who live near the pottery store and they continue to see eagles in their trees. When they leave they always fly off over the south end of Pat Bay. I, and other WiTS volunteers have seen eagles hunting and fishing in that area so perhaps we will see a new nest in that area in the fall.

Enjoy your vacation at the cottage and I hope you are able to relax and just veg out with some good books :luck:

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Kay: The female did have a long neck. :roll: Maybe we have a threesome here. :)

I have not seen any eagles down by the former pottery store ( It is now Mermaid's Lair... not sure what is going on in there at the moment) so I hoped they had given up and left.

Thanks for well wishes.

Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:08 pm

I visited Genesis this evening; she was sitting in the nest screeping at Mom who was perched in a nearby tree. Genesis picked up something in the nest and it looked like she was going to eat but just pulled it over to the side of the nest :roll: She did quite a bit of wingercizing and got a lot of air underneath her. She does look like a well fed healthy eaglet. I recorded some videos of her and will upload them tomorrow.

Mom in the nearby tree.
IMG_7346 - Copy.JPG

Genesis screeping at Mom.
IMG_7350 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7352 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:11 pm

A few more photos of Genesis. She was going back and forth from one side of the nest to the other and had a good poop just before wingercizing.
IMG_7361 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7364 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7366 - Copy.JPG

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”