Harrison Mills-History and Information Thread.

Camera discussion for the Harrison Mills nest in Harrison Mills, British Columbia

Moderator: Harrison Mills TA's

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Harrison Mills-History and Information Thread.

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:13 pm

This thread is intended to make it easier for all Harrison Mills Nest viewers to obtain information about the Harrison Mills Nest ..

In addition to providing the history of this nest ..there will be a map of the area , pictures, links and a summary of each nesting season..

I would like to Thank you Pat B and Judy B for pulling some of this information together ..

The Harrison Mills Nest is 175 feet up a huge Douglas fir - on the 10th green of the Sandpiper Golf course!
The 2 PTZ cams will offer fantastic views of the eagle activity on the Chehalis - Harrison Flats to the North East.

Response from David re size of the H Mills Nest Tree Jan. 5, 2020

The Resident Eagles are called Mr and Mrs Honeycomb named by Betty Ann ( owner of the property at the time ) and their nest was appropriately called the Penthouse !

The Honeycombs are less urban than our other Hancock eagle pairs and do things a little different in that they don't spend as much time on their nest... and after they repair their nest and have it ready for eggs they have been known to take a " Winter Break"

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Re: Harrison Mills-History and Information Thread.

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:25 pm

screenshot_29.jpg
Screen Caps re ID of Mom Honeycombs leg band

Mr Honeycomb has a dark stripe on the edge of one of his tail feathers
screenshot_02.jpg

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:27 pm

ADDED
This is the new mate after Mom Honeycomb sadly disappeared May31, 2018 :brknhrt:

Dad and Lady.... Lady is above Dad
screenshot_02.jpg

Link for ID Pictures of New Pair and Or Dad and new Female ..later called Lady on H Mills

viewtopic.php?p=72846#p72846

There were named.. Dimple and Duffer by Berry Anne

Look Here

viewtopic.php?p=359#p359

ADDED
Lady was last seen Feb, 27 , 3:50pm ..Visitor right after left left

viewtopic.php?p=159997#p159997

Feb.27 .. 3:50pm..Lady on the nest calling

viewtopic.php?p=160608#p160608

Visitor right after Lady left

viewtopic.php?p=160633#p160633

March 2, 6:58a Eagle on the ICB

viewtopic.php?p=161803#p161803

March 3 , 7:32 Visitor on the nest

viewtopic.php?p=162323#p162323

March 6 , 2019

Picture of Visitor and Dad ..Notice her tail markings !
screenshot_03.jpg
Links to all nest visit continued after the above posted ones !

Saturday, April 14 ,9:07pm

Lady is back

9:07pm/./ Eagle to the nest .. spots on the head ' ? Lady!
viewtopic.php?p=183632#p183632

Visitor last seen

April 14 at 6:44pm ..Dad and Visitor in the nest..start here
viewtopic.php?p=183540#p183540

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:31 pm

FROM DAVID HANCOCK:

New Harrison Mills Nest for 2012 - 2013:

This is something I have wanted for years. Harrison Mills is the name of the community where we have our annual Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival. The Chehalis - Harrison Flats is where the largest concentration of eagles has ever been recorded. Just beside this nest site is where in December of 2010 I individually counted 7,362 eagles -- with probably another 2,500 to 3,500 not viewable in the rivers' dips and hollows or on the other side of trees. This is also where we have the Chehalis underwater cam -- and as you might suspect this is where we have erected the Tower to house our 2 big HD PTZ cams for viewing the wintering eagles. Also nearby is where the Sasquatch Crossing Eco Lodge is preparing the Bald Eagle Cafe. Harrison Mills is the newly acclaimed Bald Eagle Capital of the World and we will be bringing so many elements of this biological wonder to you live.

For years I have wanted to have one of the local eagle nests support cams. But there was a problem. All the local nests, and there are about 7 within about a mile, have no easy power access. Sure we put the tower cams out but only when Dana of Four Stones kindly donated the very expensive Fuel Cell. Finally a nesting pair of eagles set up residence right on the 10th Green of the Sandpiper Golf Course. The owner, Betty Anne Falconer, and the Pretty Estates have long supported the Festival and now the family has said they wanted to fund these nest cams on the 10th Green. Wonderful but with a small concern on my part.

My concern is not that this nest is higher than any I have ever seen -- 172 feet up a huge Douglas Fir that then continues up another 50 plus feet. It is not that reaching it requires a 200 foot crane -- I love dangling in the canopy. My concern is that I have not witnessed this site fledge young. I and many others saw adults in the nest this spring and early summer. On several late summer trips however I did not see chicks. Of course they could easily be hidden. It is not an easy nest to view from the ground. My worry was that I did not see branchers jumping around the limbs in late summer. Again, they could have been there and missed. Let's hope so.

So you can understand my elation when the crane got me about 175 feet up and there in the nest was a dead 8.5 week old chick. This is probably the only time I rejoiced at seeing a dead eaglet. But this at least confirmed the activeness of the site. As we know chicks do die and we don't always get to know why. At the same time I was encouraged knowing that this nest is subject to the territorial owners, the eagle parents, having to put up with 5,000 to 10,000 eagles visiting their nesting territory during the salmon spawn. What a challenge this must present to them. To defend this territory against so many intruders would seem impossible. I so much look forward to this opportunity to view this pair and how they adapt to so many other eagles invading their territory.

The way the branches were located it only became possible to 'hang' cams, not place them on top of a limb above a nest, so we had to incorporate 2 HD PTZ cams in the tree. From the viewer's perspective it should be even more wonderful. Not just will we be able to see the nest life in detail, the surrounding perch and feeding trees, but off to the northeast is an incredible view of the Chehalis - Harrison Flats -- the sight where the world's largest gathering of bald eagles annually occurs. The site overlooks where our underwater cam views the spawning salmon and the Tower cams, but will also overview the upcoming Bald Eagle Cafe site -- quite an integrating image of this incredibly rich ecosystem.

Site Sponsorship: These nest cams and incredible installation have been funded by the Pretty Estates, operators of the host Sandpiper Golf Resort and the fine Rivers Edge Restaurant, by Shaw Cable for the outbound bandwidth, and of course the cams are maintained by our Foundation. Thanks again, Betty Anne.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Pictures with thanks to Karen B

Here's my pictures to complete David's report I posted above. All pics are clickable twice to see full screen size.
screenshot_06.jpg
More Pictures by Karen B

Pictures by JudyB ..taken at FF
This is one of the two
screenshot_07.jpg

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Summaries of the nesting seasons ..

2012;2013 was the first year we watched this nest, and while there were some occasional eagle visits, Mr. and Mrs. Honeycomb didn't arrive until mid March (see here for a possible reason). They promptly set to work, fixed up the nest, and laid two eggs four days apart, both of which hatched four days apart. Both Birdie and Bogey did well for a couple of weeks, though little Bogey was always visibly smaller, but then Birdie started a major growth spurt and there were a few days with less food - which meant that there was none left for the now much smaller chick; little Bogey died when he/she was 23 days old. Birdie thrived, and fledged successfully. He was seen flying down near the river - and did return to the nest for a couple of quick visits before heading off to see the world. You can read all about the 2012-2013 nesting season here - Harrison Mills 2012-2013 Observations and Discussion .
Site Sponsorship: These nest cams and incredible installation have been funded by the Pretty Estates, operators of the host Sandpiper Golf Resort and the fine Rivers Edge Restaurant and, of course, the cams are maintained by our Foundation. Thanks again, Betty Anne.
David H

It shows the edge of the golf course that can be seen from the Tower Cams.
screenshot_08.jpg
The 2013-2014 nesting season was different - you can read all about the 2013-2014 nesting season here - Harrison Mills 2014 Observations and Discussion. Mrs. Honeycomb only laid one egg, and though both parents incubated it diligently, it didn't hatch. We were all a bit heartbroken - but do know this may also be part of the natural way of things. IrishEyes put together a great summary of the 2014 nesting season - Part 1 and Part 2

The 2014. 2015 nesting season was wonderful..Mom Honeycomb laid two eggs and both hatched...... they were named Driver and Putter....The Honeycombs knew the area better and there was no shortage of food.....both chicks fledged successfully.....
You can read all about the 2014-2015 nesting season here
Harrison Mills 2015 nest season

2015-2016 was another great season ~~ Mom laid two eggs again and both hatched,, they were named Sandy and Piper ..sadly Piper passed away at 3 days old and to Quote Judy B
There was no aggression any of us saw, he got to look around and see the world for a few days, and have a bit of fish, and is spending his final time curled up with Sandy and snuggled by Mom. I wish he didn't have to leave so soon - but if he must, this is not a bad way to go. :elove::brknhrt:
Sandy Fledged successfully.

Sadly Pretty Estates was sold on April 5..2016

You can read all about 2015.. 2016 Here

2016-2017 had its ups and downs on this nest ...Mom laid two eggs and both hatched.....Mom and Dad took turns incubating the eggs and brooding and feeding the chicks.. Food was scare at times but both chicks grew and developed then sadly Dad disappeared when the the chicks were close to 7 weeks old and Mom was left to raise two growing chicks on her own ..... which she did with some help from the fish fairy and both chicks fledged successfully ... You can read all about 2016.. 2017..HERE

2017-2018 nest summary and others continue here
viewtopic.php?p=359#p359

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Special Lady

Harrison Mills was honoured and indeed blessed when this eagle was seen sleeping on what is now the Honeycomb's nest... She was here or so we think for the salmon runs and needed a place to rest ! .. .. we soon found out she was a Special Lady... having lost a couple of toes on one foot and was limping .. She was an inspiration to all of us... we can all learn from her determination , strength and a desire to survive.. life in the wild isn't easy .. she was seen in 2012 and again in 2013 ..

We all hope to see her again but probably not since the Honeycombs scared her of their nest.. she left us all with a lasting impression of her and is in our thoughts and prayers and we all hope she has a nest and a mate and is doing well in her own territory..

Karen b saw an eagle sleeping in the nest ..on Oct 26, 2012 and all found it odd since eagles are usually perched in a tree except when they have eggs and chicks.. we now think that eagle was the special lady
screenshot_03.jpg
The Special Lady
November 14, 2012... The eagle with the deformed foot was first seen on this Nest Nov.14, 2012 at 6:24pm.. she spend the night and left the morning of Nov.15 at 7:34am.

STARTING HERE

Dec.1, 2012.. . Eagle with deformed foot seen on the nest at 3:11pm.. it was a wet and windy day..

STARTING HERE

Special Lady showed up on the nest Nov. 29, 2013

Click here
Attachments
screenshot_02.jpg

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Frequently asked for links..

Friday, Dec.19, 2014. Eagle nests In H Mills/Fraser Valley area K Bills. HERE

Excellent Article by Judy B.

Impact of Sibling Rivalry As Seen on Web Cams
Friday, January 31 2014 @ 07:20 PM AST
Contributed by: JudyB

HERE

Judy B's "The Story of the River " that she and her husband Charlie sang at FF 2015 and written by Judy B..
Thanks Judy
:

The Story of the River by Judy B

ID of perches on the N and S Cams

Map of the Sandpiper Golf Course with thanks to Gail Morris

Link to HANCOCK WILDLIFE MEMBER'S DICTION-AERIE HERE

Chehalis River Underwater Cam.Discussion and Observation thread and links to the types of fish

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm

2017-2018 Mom Honeycomb returned home Oct. 3, 2017, and it was a while before a new mate showed up on the nest on March 11, 2018.... They did some work on the nest and bonded well ... and by April 15 Mom laid an egg! Mate was doing such a great job and being a help to Mom incubating the egg and even brought food to the nest, and we all agreed to call him Dad. The egg hatched May 21 and the chick was named Chips by Betty Anne of Pretty Estates.... Sadly Chips passed away on May 29 at 8 days old, under the comfort of Mom who was brooding Chips that night :brknhrt: .... On May 30th Mom consumed Chips remains ... Sadly the last time we saw Mom on the nest with Dad was May 31. :brknhrt: ..

Dad made frequent visits to the nest adding moss and sticks and maintaining the nest and by June 18 Dad showed up on the nest with a new female and they seemed like a bonded pair and some of us thought they knew one another from before.... Both worked on the nest and as time went on we decided to call her Lady ..(knowing that Betty Anne names the birds on this nest and I for one am hoping she will call them Dad and Lady and whatever last name she desires!)

You can read all about 2017..2018
viewtopic.php?p=247#p247

ADDed

Nov. 21 , 2018 .Post by Judy B

Hi everyone!
I borrowed this screenshot by Heather L from November 19 because I have an announcement to make about Dad and Lady, and I thought they should be "here" while I made it!

As you may remember, Betty Anne from Pretty Estates named our original pair Mr & Mrs Honeycomb, in the Penthouse Nest. The Honeycombs have moved on, and we now have a new pair - and Betty Anne, the force behind the cams being installed here, said that once it seemed that the new pair was committed to staying here, she would give them names. And she did.

Dad's official name is Duffer and Lady's official name is Dimple, and together they are Mr & Mrs D. :love:

I did a bit of research (not being a golfer myself) and "duffer" appears to refer to a casual golfer - not one who is trying for club champion, but one who relaxes and enjoys the game without worrying about the score. And thinking about it - our Duffer has spent a lot of time around the golf course, but he does seem to be more interested in getting sticks in just the right place than in getting a little ball in a little hole.

I wondered a bit about the name Dimple for Lady - she is a beautiful eagle, but I don't really picture her having a cute little dimple on her chin. So I did a bit more research, and discovered that the purpose of the little holes all over a golf ball (known as dimples) is to make the air flow more smoothly around the ball, so it can fly farther and faster. And Dimple can definitely fly fast - and I expect she could fly far, though happily for us, she seems to enjoy spending time around the nest.

And I may still use their nicknames, Dad and Lady, some of the time when I refer to them - but I think it is nice that they now have unique names that relate to the golf course they've chosen as their home.

Thank you, Betty Anne!

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:50 pm

ADDED
Lady was last seen Feb, 27 , 3:50pm ..Visitor right after left left

viewtopic.php?p=159997#p159997

Feb.27 .. 3:50pm..Lady on the nest calling

viewtopic.php?p=160608#p160608

Visitor right after Lady left

viewtopic.php?p=160633#p160633

March 2, 6:58a Eagle on the ICB

viewtopic.php?p=161803#p161803

March 3 , 7:32 Visitor on the nest

viewtopic.php?p=162323#p162323

March 6 , 2019

Picture of Visitor and Dad ..Notice her tail markings !
screenshot_03.jpg
Links to all nest visit continued after the above posted ones !

Saturday, April 14, 9:07pm

Lady is back

9:07pm/./ Eagle to the nest .. spots on the head ' ? Lady!
viewtopic.php?p=183632#p183632

Visitor last seen

April 14 at 6:44pm ..Dad and Visitor in the nest..start here
viewtopic.php?p=183540#p183540

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 pm

2018-2019
Oct.6 Dad and Lady did a lot of work on their nest immediately .. .. they did mate but it seemed Lady wasn’t ready to lay eggs… then on Feb .27 Female Visitor showed up on the nest.. Dad accepted her .. they both worked on the nest.. there were attempted matings and Visitor refused.. then on April 14 Lady was back on the nest and by this time it was too late for eggs … they both worked on the nest and it is in top top shape for the coming season..

You can read all about 2018 -2019

HERE

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:54 pm

2019-2020
Mr and Mrs D have been doing a lot of work preparing their nest, and eggs could arrive any time from early March to mid April –

As of April 21st, the eagles have been spending time at the nest, and have been observed mating, but they haven’t laid any eggs yet. There’s still time – but every day it gets less likely they will have chicks this year..Thank you Judy B

Dad and Lady continued to work on their nest , bringing in food and sadly Dad and Lady didn't have eggs.. it is looking good for nest season :) we are hoping for eggs in 2021 Bev/ Irish Eyes.

You can read all about 2019- 2020

HERE

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 pm

Dad and Lady worked on their nest ....... eating and bringing in food.. there was a time when we thought Lady was gonna lay an egg.. that didn't happen .. we are hoping for eggs and chicks next season....

You can read all about here
viewtopic.php?p=372054#p372054

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 pm

2021- 2022
Mom Dimple and Dad Duffer spent a lot of time getting their nest ready for eggs.. adding moss, greenery and adding sticks to the nest rails and brought food to the nest , Mom Dimple laid 2 Eggs .. There was a Intruder and Dad Duffer was involved in a territorial dispute and was hurt and unable to help incubate the eggs and Mom Dimple did a wonderful job looking after the eggs but had to leave the eggs and look after herself and find food and as a result the eggs did not hatch. Dad Duffer was starting to come to the nest and we lost the Cam.
You can read all about it here
viewtopic.php?p=495180#p495180

ETA Cam is back July 4
viewtopic.php?p=595330#p595330
July 5 Dad Duffer on the nest
viewtopic.php?p=595641#p595641

July 6 Mom Dimple in the mest
viewtopic.php?p=595832#p595832

JULY 27 AT 1:12m Cam is down

AUGUST 23 AT 3:16PM
CAms are back

viewtopic.php?p=605812#p605812