Harrison Mills Cam Info

Camera discussion for the Harrison Mills nest in Harrison Mills, British Columbia

Moderator: Harrison Mills TA's

JudyB
Admin

Harrison Mills Cam Info

Post by JudyB » Tue May 15, 2018 12:30 pm

The cameras at Harrison Mills have been going offline at apparent random intervals, and we're setting up this thread to try to document when they go offline and when they come back on in the hopes it will help the tech folks find whatever is causing this.

Please make a note any time you find the cams down (hopefully that won't happen too often), and if you know when they went down or if they say "stream has been down for 20 minutes" or something, please note that as well.

And please make a note any time you see the cams come back online, or find them streaming when they weren't the last time you checked.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Note - I'm going to reserve a couple of posts for the information we have from the last few days

Note: I will probably be deleting or reusing posts so the summary and timeline stay reasonably concise.

JudyB
Admin

Re: Harrison Mills Cam Info

Summary - minimal zooming
Tuesday, May 8 - no outages
Wednesday, May 9 - no outages
Thursday, May 10 - one 3.5 hour outage (4:30-7:57 pm)
Friday, May 11 - one 1 hour outage (1:01-2:09 pm), one 2 minute outage (4:18-4:20 pm) and one indeterminate outage (down 4:44 pm and back by 8:45 pm)
Saturday, May 12 - no outages
Sunday, May 13 - no outages

Summary - normal zooming
Monday, May 14 - one 10 minute outage (1:59-2:09 pm)
Tuesday, May 15 - one 5 hour outage (9:45 pm Monday - 2:38 am) and one 20 minute outage (4:37-4:56 am)
No one was zooming during any of those outages; time logged into the zoomer cams was less than 2 hours on Monday and a couple of minutes on Tuesday, and I don't think we ever had people logged into both cams at the same time (we didn't plan that - it's just the way it happened)

Summary - minimal zooming
Tuesday, May 15 - cams down almost 15 hours; up 5 times (longest were 2 hours from 2:38-4:37 am and 4.5 hours from 4:56-9:23 am; others were 41-60 minutes)
Wednesday, May 16 - cams down 19.5 hours; up 7 times (longest was a bit over 3 hours from 4:00-7:12 pm; others were 2-39 minutes)
Thursday, May 17 - cams down 19.3 hours; up 14 times (longest was 90 minutes from 7:40-9:08 pm; others were 2-46 minutes)
Friday, May 18 - as of 4:22 pm, the cams have been down almost 15-1/2 hours (and up less than one hour (longest time up was 51 minutes from 6:58-7:49 am; they haven't been up again since then)

I also put this in spreadsheet format (clicks bigger) - I keep thinking if only I could figure the right way to look at the data, I'd see a pattern, and then maybe Ken would be able to fix everything.
20180518_006.jpg

JudyB
Admin

As part of testing various settings, Ken asked us to limit zooming from the morning of Monday, May 7 until roughly noon on Monday, May 14.

The cams went down at least twice on the 7th (and we did log into the cams a couple of times to get them to a good position). I went through the observations thread since then looking for reports of outages - but it's possible I missed something - and we don't watch 24/7, so may have missed outages or times when the cams were up.

Tuesday, May 8 - total time streaming - 24 hours
  • Darlene reported that the cams were skipping a bit around 8:12 pm (it was quite windy), but no outages were reported
Wednesday, May 9 - total time streaming - 24 hours
  • very windy in the morning; no outages reported
Thursday, May 10 - total time streaming - 20.5 hours
  • at about 6 am, AnneP reported that the cams were offline and said they'd last streamed about 90 minutes earlier; IrishEyes reported at 7:57 am that they were streaming again (down about 3.5 hours); no other outages reported
Friday, May 11 - total time streaming - almost 19 hours
  • Heather L reported at 11:41 am that the dvr only went back 36 minutes, so there may have been a brief outage; people were watching but not much was happening so the cam may have been frozen for a few minutes without being noticed
  • - Heather also reported at 1:01 pm that the live feed was going off and on, and then it went down; Yolande reported at 2:09 that they had just come back up (down a little over an hour)
  • - Yolande reported at that both embedded cams went down at 4:18 pm and came back up at 4:20 pm
  • - IrishEyes reported at 5:35 pm that the cams went down 48 minutes ago (so a little after 4:45 pm); Yolande reported that they were back up at 8:45 pm (down about 3 hours - maybe less as they may have been up for a while before Yolande checked)
Saturday, May 12 - total time streaming - 24 hours
  • no outages reported
Sunday, May 13 - total time streaming - 24 hours
  • no outages reported
Monday, May 14 - total time streaming - about 21.5 hours
  • Ken gave us the go-ahead to start zooming again
  • zoomer link in use 12:50 - 1:34 pm (one cam at a time)
  • IrishEyes reported at 1:55 pm that the embedded cams were stopping at times, and they went down at 1:59 pm; no one was logged in using the zoomer link; cams were back up at 2:09 pm (down about 10 minutes)
  • zoomer link in use roughly 3:00 - 3:05 pm (North cam)
  • zoomer link in use roughly 3:40 - 3:50 pm (North cam)
  • zoomer link in use roughly 4:12 - 5:15 pm (South cam)
  • zoomer link in use roughly 8:58 - 9:30 pm (South cam)
  • Heather L reported at 10:15 pm that the cams went down 28 minutes ago (so about 9:45 pm)
Tuesday, May 15 - total time streaming - about 9 hours
  • IrishEyes reported at 2:38 am that the cams were down at 2:37 am (so a little less than 5 hours if they were down the entire time) and started streaming a minute later
  • she reported that the cams were down at 4:37 am, and back at 4:56 am (she was not logged in to the zoomer cams at the time)
  • zoomer link in use for about a minute at 5:05 am (North cam)
  • Ken asked us to stop zooming to see if that makes a difference; I posted the request in the zoomer sign-in thread at about 8:30 am
  • Darlene reported at 9:23 am that both cams were down (based on "last streamed live" info, they went down just before she reported them); no one was zooming;
  • Yolande and JudyB reported that the cams came back up at 1:21 pm (so down about 4 hours)
  • South cam went down again immediately at 1:21 pm
  • North cam went down at 2:17 pm (so up about an hour) - both cams usually go down at about the same time and come back at about the same time, so this is a bit different
  • both cams up at 3:49 pm (South was down for about 6.5 hours, North for a little over 90 minutes) (one of the zoomers had logged into the South cam and found it working just before the embedded cams came up)
  • both cams down at 4:30 pm (up for about 40 minutes)
  • we had noticed that the embedded cams often came up shortly after someone successfully logged into one of the cams directly using the direct access/zoomer link, and Ken agreed it made sense to try the zoomer links when the cams were down in case that was helping them come back up, but not to log in when the cams were streaming
  • one of the zoomers checked the direct access links at about 8:53 pm and found they were working - and the embedded cams came up a minute or two later (down about 4-1/2 hours)
  • North down at 9:53 and South at 9:54 pm (up for about an hour)
Wednesday, May 16 - total time streaming - about 4.5 hours
  • cams were back up at 12:18 am (may have come up earlier) and went down at 12:32 am (up at least 14 minutes)
  • both embedded cams came up at 12:50 pm (down for a little over 12 hours) and went down at 1:00 pm (so up for 10 minutes)
  • cams came up at 1:30 pm (so down for 30 minutes) and went down around 2:09 pm (up almost 40 minutes) (note - when they go up or down within a minute of each other I'm just going to list one time)
  • cams up at 3:23 pm (down for about 74 minutes) and back down again at 3:30 pm (up for 7 minutes)
  • cams up at 4 pm (down for 30 minutes); South was off for a minute or two at 4:57 pm and then came back (North stayed up); another blip for both cams at 5:44 pm; cams went down at 7:12 pm (up for a little over 3 hours with a couple of brief outages)
  • cams up at 9:52 pm (down 2 hours and 40 minutes) and went down again a minute or two later (up a minute or two)
  • cams came up around 11:34 pm (down a little over 90 minutes) and went down around 11:42 (so up 8-10 minutes)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Thursday, May 17 - total time streaming - about 4.75 hours
  • cams came up at 12:43 am (down about an hour) and went down at 12:53 am (up for 10 minutes)
  • based on "last streamed" time, cams were up for some period of time between 1:02 am (when they were reported still down) and 1:23 am (up for less than 20 minutes)
  • cams came up at 8:19 am (down about 7 hours) and went down at 9:05 am (up about 45 minutes)
  • cams back up at 9:25 am (down 20 minutes) and went back down at 9:31 am (up about 5 minutes)
  • cams were up at 11:02 am (not sure when they came up - they were down at 10:40 am) and went back down at 11:19 am (up at least 17 minutes)
  • cams back up at 11:54 am (down about 35 minutes) and went down at noon (up for 6 minutes)
  • cams back up at 12:07 pm (down for 7 minutes) and down at 12:11 pm (up for 4 minutes)
  • cams up at 1:09 pm (down about an hour) and down at 1:11 pm (up for 2 minutes)
  • cams up at 2:29 pm (down for 77 minutes) and down at 2:35 (up for 6 minutes)
  • cams up at 5:09 pm (down for about 2.5 hours) and down at 5:36 pm (up for 10 minutes)
  • cams up at 5:47 pm (down for 11 minutes) and down at 6:02 pm (up for 15 minutes)
  • cams up at 7:30 pm (down for 90 minutes) and down at 7:36 pm (up for 6 minutes
  • cams up at 7:40 pm (down for 4 minutes) and down at 9:08 pm (up for about 90 minutes)
  • cams up at 10:40 pm (not sure when they came up - down for 90 minutes or less) and down at 11:06 (up for 26 minutes)
Friday, May 18
  • cams up at 12:19 am (not sure when they came up) and down again at 12:20 am (up for at least 1 minute)
  • cams up at 12:34 am (down for 14 minutes) and down at 12:35 am (up for a minute or less) (Note - our late night observer is not a zoomer so no one was logged in)
  • cams came back up at some point because they said they'd been offline 21 minutes at 3:57 am, so down at 3:36 am
  • cams up at 6:58 am (down for 3 hours, 20 minutes) and down at 7:49 am (up about 50 minutes)
  • we had been trying to log into one of the cams directly using the direct access/zoomer link when the cams were down to see if it would help them come up; around 1:15 pm I asked the zoomers to stay logged in after the embedded cams came up to see if they were more likely to stay up when someone was logged in
  • cams came back up at 5:35 pm (so down almost 10 hours), right after one of the zoomers connected with one of the cams directly (several of us had tried at least 6 or 8 times during the day) and went down at 8:16 pm (so up almost 2-3/4 hours)
  • cams up at 9:10 pm (down 54 minutes) and were still up at 9:42 pm and down by 12:47am
Saturday, May 19
  • cams up at 5:13 am and stayed up until 7:24 pm, 4 minutes after the last zoomer logged out (at least one person had been logged into one of the cams all day until then) (up for a little over 14 hours)
  • cams up at 10:41 (right after a zoomer logged in) and went down around 11:07 pm (right after the zoomer logged out) (up for 26 minutes)
Sunday, May 20
  • up at 1:33 am (right after a zoomer logged in) and down at 1:55 am (right after she logged out) (up for 22 minutes)
  • up at 6:02 am (right after I logged into the South cam using the direct access/zoomer link)
  • pip seen at 2:48 pm
  • cams were off for a minute or two around 9:15 pm (I think Ken might have been rebooting them); I can't remember if I needed to reload the zoomer page or if it also came up on its own - but I was back on for the rest of the night (cams up for about 18 hours from 6 am to midnight)
Monday, May 21
  • we continued trying to have someone logged into one of the cams directly, and the embedded cams continued streaming well
  • chick split the shell around 2:33 pm and hatch was complete at 4:22 pm
  • I had intended to stay logged into the South zoomer cam again tonight - but used my desktop computer, and it went to sleep - which I think may have disconnected the cam - or maybe something totally unrelated caused them cams to go down - which they did at 7:56 pm
Tuesday, May 22
  • cams came up at 5:08 am (other zoomers had tried overnight but couldn't connect) and went down at 5:25 am (though I was still logged into one of the cams) (up for 17 minutes)
  • cams came up for a minute or less twice, at 10:02 am and 12:04 pm; zoomers were trying to log in from time to time without success other than those two times
  • cams up at 2:02 pm and down again at 2:21 pm (up almost 20 minutes) (chick was out of the nest cup and in front of Dad when the cams went down, and Dad was trying to get him/her back underneath - active day-old chick and scary place to leave things)
Wednesday, May 23
  • cams came up at 8:52 am (zoomers had been trying to connect since they went down) (chick is OK and was fed shortly after the cams returned)
  • cams went down at 10:50 am (I think one zoomer was logged in but away from her computer - not sure about that)
  • cams up at 2:29 pm; I have stayed logged in to the North zoomer link and Darlene has stayed logged into the South zoomer link

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue May 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Friday, May 25
  • South embedded cam was stuck at 5:33 am; successfully rebooted it at 8:29 am
Saturday, May 26
  • South embedded cam was stuck at 2:41 pm; it was zooming with correct time at 8 pm (perhaps reboot by Ken)
Sunday, May 27
  • South embedded cam was stuck at 3:33 pm; successfully rebooted it at 9:45 pm
Monday, May 28
  • North embedded cam was stuck at 11:06 pm, May 27; successfully rebooted it at 6:00 am (note - zoomers have been able to connect to the cams directly when the embedded cams were down) (second note - I rebooted North using my desktop so my laptop continued to be connected, though I lost the image briefly - not sure if that was necessary, but couldn't think why it would hurt, and figured it might help since we don't really know why the cams had been going down and now are staying up since Darlene and I are trying to stay logged in to them)
Tuesday, May 29
  • We don't know why, but the little eaglet who had recently been named Chips died during the night :brknhrt:
  • I'm still logged into the North cam, and noticed the screen go black briefly at about 2:30 while the North embedded cam said "offline" so I'm guessing Ken rebooted the cams; both came back up on their own
Sunday, June 10
  • I am still logged into the North cam, and as far as I know, the cams have not all gone down since 2:29 pm on May 23rd when Darlene and I decided to each stay logged into one of the cams; Darlene logged out a couple of days after Chips died, once there was almost no activity at the nest, so she could help at Delta - and the cams seemed to work as well with just one of us logged in
  • both embedded cams have occasionally stalled, getting caught in a little loop with the wrong time, and rebooting the cam with that issue has solved the problem each time; happily they haven't both done that at the same time
Monday, June 11
  • 2:30 pm - I am logging out from the North cam
  • 3:55 pm - cams are still streaming; closed embedded cam window on the laptop and on the desktop, and put laptop into a much-deserved sleep

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue May 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks Judy for setting up this thread and posting the Time Line .... now we will have a permanent record .. :thumlft: :huggie:

3:23pm Nest time... Both embedded cams are still down ...... I assume the Direct Access/ Zomer ones are also ...I didn't check them..

PS.. Judy.....Feel free to delete my posts anytime you need too.

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

Babs

Post by Babs » Tue May 15, 2018 3:39 pm

So far I have been unable to get live cams. Going to youtube just now it says Live but it is night & the time stamp says 2:41. https://youtu.be/EkIL00iHfIY
When I try to open https://www.hancockwildlife.org/harrison-mills-cams/ I get "Live Stream Offline".

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue May 15, 2018 3:53 pm

Babs wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:39 pm
So far I have been unable to get live cams. Going to youtube just now it says Live but it is night & the time stamp says 2:41. https://youtu.be/EkIL00iHfIY
When I try to open https://www.hancockwildlife.org/harrison-mills-cams/ I get "Live Stream Offline".
Welcome to the forum, Babs - and we are hoping that the cams will be back up soon.

And the North cam just came back up on https://www.hancockwildlife.org/harrison-mills-cams/ - and it has the correct time and bright sunshine!

The South cam has been having more issues but with a bit of luck perhaps it will be back up soon.

gmorris
Topic Assistant

Post by gmorris » Tue May 15, 2018 4:13 pm

Sorry Judy....I misunderstood and am now off all cams. Sent you a PM to explain.
Gail Morris

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue May 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks, Gail!

Both cams down at 7:31 pm. :sigh:

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm

6pm nest time... Cams are down 90mins :(

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 am

WEDNESDAY , MAY 16, 2018

5:47am
Embedded cams are down

6:43am
Embedded cams are still down....I checked You Tube and the last streamed live was 6 hours ago ..

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 am

8:39am
No change ....It is 8 hours since the embedded cams went down ! :(

Yolande
Topic Assistant

Post by Yolande » Thu May 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi all..I just logged on to the HM PTZ cams and both embedded cams came up...sorry I can't stay..but hope that the cams will stay up for a while! :luck:

Yolande
Topic Assistant

Post by Yolande » Thu May 17, 2018 7:46 pm

7:42pm Embedded cams were down, but both PTZs came up and the embedded cams followed...

Return to “Harrison Mills ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”