being posted on our four primary HWF observation threads on March 5, around 12:30 pm
It's not spring yet for those of us in Canada and the northern part of the US - but I can feel it coming on the gentle breeze that slips in occasionally between the Arctic gusts. And I can see it when I see the nests, all ready for the eggs that will appear any day now. This is our new Surrey Reserve nest:
As our northern nesting season gets underway, I'm reminded that it was about a year ago that Hancock Wildlife Foundation made some major changes, including launching this new forum and our new website https://hancockwildlife.org/
. We also took over the streaming of the video from our cams to the web, which in practical terms means that we needed some fairly sophisticated software to convert the signal sent by our cams in British Columbia to the audio and video formats required by YouTube so anyone anywhere in the world can watch "our" eagles. It used to be that one could buy this software - but like a number of programs such as Microsoft Office 365 or most Adobe software, it's now only available as a subscription service.
The annual payment for what I call the Wowza server is about $2650 Cdn -
and it's due this month.
Please help us raise the money we need for the equipment to keep the cams streaming.
The easiest way to donate is to
- go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/)
- click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
- choose "Donate Now" or "Donate Monthly"
- enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt a nest - or whatever you'd like to give)
- pick one of the options on the Fund list (the amounts for Eagle Cams/Repairs and for General Monthly Support are suggestions; the amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate)
- if you are adopting a nest, use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed - or you can use it for other messages to HWF
- fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
- click "Complete Donation Now"
It would be great if we could raise enough money for the software this week - and to get things started, the first $650 in donations will be matched!
So if you adopt a nest for $250, HWF will get $500 - or if you donate $20, HWF will get $40! We'd also love to have more people in our monthly donor program - and the first month's donation is also eligible to be matched.
Hancock Wildlife Foundation is a "Not-for-Profit" society in Canada and a tax slip will be automatically provided if you donate via CanadaHelps. For donors in the United States, we have a favorable rate of exchange right now, so if you donate $100 Cdn, your credit card will be billed about $75 US dollars.
The eagles are getting ready:
Delta 2 eagles discuss where to place a stick,
courtesy of SueB
Please help us be ready too.