General Announcements Posted to the Forum

To store general announcements posted to various threads on the forum. e.g. Cam cleaning dates, special events, messages from David Hancock, etc.
IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Re: General Announcements Posted to the Forum

Post by IrishEyes » Wed May 13, 2020 4:09 pm

JudyB wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:51 pm
Hello Spring!

Our Surrey Reserve eaglets are going to be featured on CBC's Hello Spring project debuting today - https://www.cbc.ca/life/hellospring

I don't know where our eaglets will be popping up in their rotation of things about spring - but have learned that our Surrey South eagle cam will be live this afternoon on the CBC Docs Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/cbcdocs/ starting at 2 pm pacific/5 pm eastern - so it's live now.

We are thrilled to have this opportunity to introduce more people to the wonderful eagles of British Columbia - and to the Surrey Reserve, a tract of trees set aside for the eagles and other wildlife while land around it was being developed. This is the second year we've been watching these eagles, and they appear to be getting along just fine with their many human neighbors.

Direct link to the cams is https://hancockwildlife.org/surrey-reserve-cams/

Our thread with lots of pictures and videos is viewtopic.php?f=114&t=407&start=2700#p330534

Please join us there - and check out the other interesting topics on CBC's Hello Spring page!
Thanks so much Judy ..I did watch some today while I was eating dinner :)

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

davidh
Admin

Post by davidh » Wed May 20, 2020 1:03 pm

WANTED!

Live Stream Video Editors - to make short WEB mountable Videos.

Would you like to assist in telling the stories of our eagles?

Volunteers are the heart of HWF -- but I have never asked for people to assist in editing short video presentations. These could be 1 to 5 minutes long -- some longer! The person would need a video editing program but not need to have huge experience BUT have a willingness to participate. I have been accumulating short stories of trapping and banding eagles, attending eagle releases, looking at various specialty eagle challenges at each Nest for many many years. Once we got into broadcasting Live Streaming CAMS and attracting many wonderful photographers I felt I did not need to present my interpretations as we had lots of others. Notable, Christian Sasse has become a key contributor.

Christian and many of the other very accomplished photographers have repeatedly offered to contribute any of their materials to our Foundation stories. So the material available is quite extraordinary and it is very likely that we could produce a whole series of short videos that helped tell the wonderful story of eagles.

What I need is one or more people with a bit of time and an interest in editing these files of videos and stills into short stories. I have been writing short captions to lead off or at least give guidance to the editor. I could also do voice over if necessary. These item would be mounted on HWF News, Eagle Info, Live Tracking etc. They could also be key in bringing the story of eagle biology to the public. I have finally got down, with the ‘stay at home restrictions of late’ to filing all my 22 years productivity data to my Data Base and to reviewing and filing in hundreds of sub-files, many eagle stories that with the additions of Christian’s and other’s files should give our eagles another boost.

It would be wonderful if someone lived close but this is certainly not essential as I can mount each subject file on the Cloud and the editor work from there. Do I hear anyone wanting to give this a try?
Please call me directly and we can discuss: [email protected] or call me 604 761-1025

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:51 pm

Pictures to use in Summer 2020 fundraising posts.
20200710_wr-cu_amyklai.jpg
20200710_wr-n_amyklai.jpg

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:55 pm

JudyB wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:51 pm
Pictures to use in Summer 2020 fundraising posts.

20200710_wr-cu_amyklai.jpg

20200710_wr-n_amyklai.jpg
Those are great Judy .. you are always thinking and prepared ! :huggie:

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:07 am

We Are Having Issues with the Forum

People who are signed in can post - but those who aren't logged in are getting error messages when they try to sign in.

It is not you or your internet provider - it's a forum issue.

Our tech person is working on this. We will probably have to bring the forum offline at least once as he's resetting things - and worst case scenario, we may need to revert to a backup that's 24-48 hours old, losing our posts for the last day or two. We hope it won't come to that, but if the server crash that took the forum down briefly yesterday damaged files, that may be necessary.

I haven't posted there yet - but if I get locked out or the forum goes down, I'll be posting updates on our backup forum - http://www.wildlifecamwatch.com/index.php under Welcome & HWF Updates and will also post updates on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Hancock-Wildli ... =bookmarks

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:11 am

We Are Having Issues with the Forum

People who are signed in can post - but those who aren't logged in are getting error messages when they try to sign in.

It is not you or your internet provider - it's a forum issue.

Our tech person is working on this. We will probably have to bring the forum offline at least once as he's resetting things - and worst case scenario, we may need to revert to a backup that's 24-48 hours old, losing our posts for the last day or two. We hope it won't come to that, but if the server crash that took the forum down briefly yesterday damaged files, that may be necessary.

I haven't posted there yet - but if I get locked out or the forum goes down, I'll be posting updates on our backup forum - http://www.wildlifecamwatch.com/index.php under Welcome & HWF Updates and will also post updates on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Hancock-Wildli ... =bookmarks

Please let other folks know - I woke up to a lot of emails and won't get back to everyone right away. Thanks!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:34 pm

We Are Back!

We think people should now be able to log in again. If anyone is still having trouble, please let me know - [email protected] (or my personal email if you have it)

And we didn't have to reboot the forum - and we didn't lose any posts!

Big Thanks to David Hathaway!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:45 am

photo to use in post (I put it here so I can use IMG tags when I include it in the post, rather than attaching it each time). :)
20210405_029-large.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:56 am

To be posted on Surrey Reserve and Delta initially, adding White Rock and Harrison Mills if/when they have eggs.

Posting April 7, 6:15 am at Surrey Reserve and Delta 2 - comments or suggestions still welcome!

Help Wanted

We are looking for people who might be interested in putting together a set of screenshots from each day (or every couple of days) from each of our HWF nests to create a visual growth chart, which we could feature on our website to assist other researchers.

To quote Myles Lamont who suggested this, "It would be great if there was a standard pose or two (laying down vs sitting up) for every couple of days that could be collected throughout the season across each nest site. Would be very good to know if there is much variation between pairs in the region."

I'm not sure what the best way to do this is - does anyone have suggestions?

I'm thinking high res full screen shots would provide the most flexibility - but know that's not always possible.

Thoughts?

And more importantly - any volunteers?

:ty:

Surrey Reserve, April 5, SR6 - 22 hours, SR5 - 2 days

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:56 am

Hi everyone!

We are getting reports that people are getting this error message some of the time when they try to post:

Our tech person David Hathaway has tried something he thought would work as a temporary fix, but I'm getting reports that people are still having issues.

If this is happening to you, please post on our "Report Cams Down and Forum Errors" thread - viewtopic.php?f=66&p=475151#p475118 - and please feel free to read the posts there for more info.

If you have any suggestions or anything that can help us find a pattern as to why sometimes things post when you click submit, and sometimes you get the message - and I think sometimes people have gotten the message but their post actually is there when they log back in? - anyway, suggestions and reports are welcome on the Cams Down thread.

I am posting this on a few of the more active threads so people will know it's a forum issue and not a problem with their computer - and maybe someone has a solution.

Note to TAs - it's fine to delete this after a few days or once it's resolved, and also fine to share it to other threads if you hear of someone having an issue.

Thanks!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:09 pm

picture for a post
20210720_002.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:17 pm

Friday, January 14, 2021

Server Update This Evening

Please close out of the forum by 5:30 pm Pacific time

Hi everyone! We will be taking the forum offline this evening around 5:30 pm Pacific time so all our posts, photos and other data can be moved to the new larger, faster server.

We are hoping this will be quick process - and if something does come up that is going to make it longer than a couple of hours, we'll try to post updates on the WildlifeCamWatch forum - http://www.wildlifecamwatch.com/viewtop ... 1609#p1609 (you may want to bookmark the link).

Keeping fingers crossed that all goes well, and we'll be back soon with a faster and more stable forum!

Thank You!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:24 pm

Pictures to use for June 16 2022 update on the nests.
20220616_013_FC_Denise.jpg
20220616_014.jpg
20220616_015_HM_20220523.jpg
20220616_015_SueB_20220604.jpg
20220616_015_WR_20220608-Lynne.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:03 pm

Picture to use for new thread I'm creating for a bald eagle cam in Maine. Putting the picture here and using a link in the actual thread will make it easier to copy the opening posts to update if I need to start a new thread for the nest in the future.

Link to the thread where these will go = viewtopic.php?f=44&t=629&p=596285#p596285
20220708_009_ME-Pisc.jpg

Two views of the nest area - nest is in the tree on the right in the first picture, and the group of four trees from the first picture are in the left part of the wider view.
20220710_017.jpg
20220710_018.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:10 pm

Pictures to use in fundraising post.

White Rock
202208012_001a.jpg

Delta 2
20220210_APH_DSC03830-Edit-crop.jpg

Delta 2 - 2019 - SueB