Information about Donating

Donations - Website Link

Donations Website Sub-Links: Contact; Donations; Adopt a Nest; Adopt a Nest Wall of Honor; Our Partners and Supporters

Comments on above "Donations" topics welcome here

Non-Members click here to join
JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:58 pm

This thread is for posts providing information about ways to donate to Hancock Wildlife Foundation, and answering some of the questions we've received.

The next post answers the most common questions.

The link to make a donation is https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/

Index
All About Donating - general info

How to Adopt a Nest

How to Adopt a Tagged Eagle - coming soon - for now use the instructions for adopting a nest

How to Donate to the Fund A Tracker Campaign

How to Use a Debit Card with PayPal

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:49 pm

All About Donating

We encourage people to donate using CanadaHelps for a couple of reasons.

Hancock Wildlife Foundation is a registered non-profit organization in Canada, and CanadaHelps automatically provides a tax slip to donors. Their donation interface provides a space to send a message to HWF, and we like to know which of our nests you are watching.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently (July 22 2023) just under $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets recorded.

Adopting a Nest
Nest adoptions are for a nesting season, from September when the eagles return to August when they leave again for their time away from the nest (which conveniently coincides with the salmon runs starting in Alaska and northern BC). We generally begin accepting early adoptions for the nest season in July.

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the drop-down Fund list (the default is a day with David Hancock)
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
Donating for Cam Maintenance
Use the same steps as above, but pick "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" from the Fund dropdown list. There is a suggested amount in the list - but that's just a suggestion. The amount you enter in the Amount box is the amount you'll donate. It's not required, but we do encourage you to use the message box to tell us which nest or nests you watch. We do have limited resources, and all else being equal, the nests with the most interest will get the most attention.

Monthly Donations
Monthly donations are great for knowing we'll have the money to pay the monthly internet expenses for our non-sponsored cams, and the monthly costs of hosting for the website and forum. You can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly." Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

Thank You!

JudyB
Admin

Re: Information about Donating

Post by JudyB » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:26 pm

How to Use a Debit Card with PayPal

It's easy to make a donation to Hancock Wildlife using either CanadaHelps or PayPal if you have a credit card - and you don't need a PayPal account to use PayPal for that.

However, not everyone uses credit cards. I read that people can also use a debit card to make a donation via PayPal, in which case the money would be taken from their bank account, the same as when someone uses a debit card to buy groceries or whatever so I tried that - and it works!

Here's how:

Go to the Donations page on our website - https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/

Scroll down to 2-PayPal and click the yellow Donate button
20210819_002.jpg
20210819_002.jpg (6.41 KiB) Viewed 6125 times

That brings you to this screen:
20210819_003.jpg
Enter the amount of your donation, (check the box if you want to make the donation every month), then click Donate with a Card.

Here's the first part of the next screen:
20210819_004.jpg
- click "add special instructions" to say what nest you want to adopt or if your donation is for cam repairs or whatever message you'd like us to see.
- change the country/region to your country - so I picked United States from the dropdown list.
- fill in the information about the credit card

I'm not going to take a screenshot of the billing address info in the middle of the screen - that's pretty straightforward.

This is the bottom part of the screen:
20210819_005.jpg
20210819_005.jpg (28.17 KiB) Viewed 6125 times
- we encourage you to check the box to share your mailing address (which we do not share with others) but it's not required.
- you need to enter a phone number and an email address.

When I clicked Donate Now I got this confirmation screen, which shows the approximate conversion rate (it might be off by a few cents, but normally seems accurate).
20210819_006a.jpg
(I blocked the last 4 digits of my debit card on the screenshot)

Click Donate Now on the conversion screen - and you make the donation.
20210819_007.jpg
I have my bank account set up so I can check it online, and the morning after I made the donation, it showed a payment of $8.24 US going to PayPal for Hancock Wildlife. I checked HWF's PayPal account, and it showed a $10 CAD donation from me - so all worked as anticipated.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:36 pm

How to Adopt a Nest

As you know there are many ways you can help Hancock Wildlife Foundation ~~ A not-for-profit society (Canadian Charity Number 83124 7127 RR0001).

Now we have added another option for your consideration.

Your donation of $250.00 allows you to adopt your favorite HWF Nest & Family for the entire nesting season.

Your Nest Adoption will assist with the cost of the cams, maintenance and tech support that is required all year long as well as support the mission and mandate of HWF through ongoing education and activities that promote the conservation of wildlife.

In recognition of your generous donation and gift Your Name will appear below our HWF cam page identifying that you have adopted that nest for the nesting season (September through August).

You may also Adopt a Nest In Memory Of a Loved One or you may prefer to Adopt a Nest anonymously – the choice is yours.

Nest adoptions are for a nesting season, from September when the eagles return to August when they leave again for their time away from the nest (which conveniently coincides with the salmon runs starting in Alaska and northern BC). We generally begin accepting early adoptions for the upcoming nest season in July.

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/)
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the drop-down Fund list (the default is a day with David Hancock)
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed

Note: You can also adopt one of the tagged eagles we're tracking - until we set up a page for that, please use the Adopt a Nest option and let us know in the message box which eagle you'd like to adopt - more info about the tagged eagles is here - https://hancockwildlife.org/beta-bald-e ... -alliance/

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:34 pm

Reserved for tagged eagles

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:12 pm

How to Donate to the Fund A Tracker Campaign
This is initially being written while we are raising money for TERF26/Annie. a female eagle with a nest in West Vancouver - you can read more about her here - viewtopic.php?f=95&t=636

Donating via CanadaHelps - Hancock Wildlife Foundation is a registered non-profit organization in Canada, and CanadaHelps automatically provides a tax slip to donors.
  • enter the amount of your donation
  • pick "Fund A Tracker - Support TERF26/Annie" from the drop-down Fund list
  • there's an optional message box if you'd like to provide additional information
Donating via PayPal - PayPal accepts debit cards as well as credit cards; they don't automatically provide a tax slip, but we can mail one if requested.
  • scroll down past General PayPal Donations and you should see the "Fund A Tracker" link with a picture of Annie
  • click Annie's picture at the top or the DONATE link after the description of the campaign
  • that brings you to a page where you can click a suggested amount or enter the amount you wish to donate (Note - the amount donated is only what was donated via PayPal)
  • fill in your contact information and agree to the terms and conditions
  • click "Donate"
  • choose your method of donating (PayPal or credit/debit card)
  • fill in credit card info
  • click "Donate Now"

Return to “Donations”