Delta2 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion Thread

Camera discussion for the Delta2 nest in Delta, British Columbia

Moderator: Delta 2 TA's

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Re: Delta2 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion Thread

Post by Kitcat11848 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:24 pm

The nest looks wonderful and the pictures are so clear. Thank you to David and company for all their hard work in getting the beautiful nest ready for Ma and DM and Ken for all his camera work. Can’t wait for Ma and DM to return. :)
AKA: Marianne

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:39 pm

Goodnight everyone, Bonsoir Delta 2, ...!

Just here to test the night views from the new nest cams (without IR light)

20h10/11
2022-09-18_06h31_05.jpg
2022-09-18_06h31_28.jpg
Good job HWF ! :thumlft:

:luck: Hoping for the best at this new place :luck:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:03 am

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2022

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

Linuxgw2

Post by Linuxgw2 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:44 am

Good morning Delta,

Thank you all for the pics posted of grooming the tree back yesterday at the nest site.

The pictures of Ma nest in the barn tree sure shows how frail the tree is from a distance..makes you take in the vulnability that the tree branches could have broken at any given time in a high wind storm..

now we have a big beautiful nest :D , waiting acceptance from Ma and Dm....

Linuxgw2

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:51 am

Philjo56France wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:39 pm
Goodnight everyone, Bonsoir Delta 2, ...!

Just here to test the night views from the new nest cams (without IR light)

Good job HWF ! :thumlft:

:luck: Hoping for the best at this new place :luck:
I asked Ken about the IR light, and he said the wires for that need to be to be run through the protective conduit before they can be connected to the power source. It's my impression that the IR lights for the old cams were plugged into the cams, but the lights for these cams need separate lines which are not yet threaded through the covering which will protect them from equipment driving over them or curious mice.

As I told Ken when I learned that, we don't really expect the eagles back for a week or two - and we don't expect them to be doing anything very interesting in the middle of the night until a lot closer to egg-laying time, so we are happy that he prioritized getting the cams streaming on his last visit, and will wait (more or less) patiently until he has a chance to get back there and get the power for the lights set up.

My guess is that Ken's priority for his next visit (possibly Monday or Tuesday) will be to figure out why we can't log into the cams over the internet to zoom. I could log into the cams remotely when he had them set up for testing at his house - so we know that remote access does work on this model. These cameras are from a different manufacturer than most of our cams, so Ken has had less experience setting them up, so it may take a while for him to find what needs to be reset.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:28 am

Here are some photos taken yesterday by AP (forum member aphovasse).

I think these three are when they were removing the camera from the old tree.
20220917_AP_08993.jpg
20220917_AP_09012.jpg
20220917_AP_09014.jpg

Even with the photos, I'm not quite sure how they managed to do that.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:37 am

More from AP -

Going up to the new nest.
20220917_AP_01708.jpg

I think David on the left is trimming a few smaller branches, either to clear the view or the path to the nest, or to add to the pile of sticks left as a "welcome home" for the eagles; tech person Mike (back to cam and blue hard hat) is working on the cam; and the person in the front is Brian, serving as lift operator and an "awesome helper" for David (AP's phrase - and from the pics he was definitely busy).
20220917_AP_09029.jpg

Another view of the team.
20220917_AP_09031.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:42 am

Last group from AP.

Ken working with the equipment on the ground.
20220917_AP_09033.jpg

The rescued cam, waiting to go home with Ken and be checked out.
20220917_AP_01699.jpg

Photos courtesy of Alain-Pierre Hovasse, used with permission, all rights reserved. Thanks, AP!

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:42 am

Will Ken be going up to the nest? If so, can he do anything about the smudge on the east cam?

Also, I just really worry about the old nest appearing useable when Ma returns.

There are over 1,000 cormorants that roost/nest on the underside of the east span of the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge. When the built the new span, they built in platforms for the cormorants on the underside. They couldn't get them to move. They tried all kinds of things. As they started taking down the span, they just moved closer together. They kept trying to get them to move to the new platforms. Finally, as it was getting close to nesting season and they couldn't delay any longer, they took down the rest of the old span. The cormorants disappeared for a day or two. Then they took up residence under the new span.

I know there is a good chance it will be blown over in a storm before Ma lays her eggs, but I would feel a lot better if it was down or damaged beyond use before then.

Marilyn

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:48 am

Marilyn wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:42 am
Will Ken be going up to the nest? If so, can he do anything about the smudge on the east cam?

Also, I just really worry about the old nest appearing useable when Ma returns.

There are over 1,000 cormorants that roost/nest on the underside of the east span of the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge. When the built the new span, they built in platforms for the cormorants on the underside. They couldn't get them to move. They tried all kinds of things. As they started taking down the span, they just moved closer together. They kept trying to get them to move to the new platforms. Finally, as it was getting close to nesting season and they couldn't delay any longer, they took down the rest of the old span. The cormorants disappeared for a day or two. Then they took up residence under the new span.

I know there is a good chance it will be blown over in a storm before Ma lays her eggs, but I would feel a lot better if it was down or damaged beyond use before then.

Marilyn
I don't think anyone will be going up to the nest again, Marilyn. With a bit of luck the smudge may wash off - or we may be able to adjust the cam so it's less obvious once we get access to the cam controls.

I know David was hoping to take down the nest (or possibly the tree), and I don't know if that's still an option. If I learn more, I'll be posting it here.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:00 am

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 2022

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:12 pm

Good afternoon, everyone, and thanks for starting our day here, nightowl!

I have some more pictures from AP that he took yesterday.

The first two are of the new nest seen from two angles to show the flight clearance in and out.
20220918_AP_4.jpg
20220918_AP_9980.jpg

This is a photo of the old nest for comparison.
20220918_AP_2 4.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:16 pm

The final two are closeups of the underside, also from two angles.
20220918_AP_2 3.jpg
20220918_AP_3 3.jpg

Photos courtesy of Alain-Pierre Hovasse, used with permission, all rights reserved. Thanks, AP!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:27 pm

I'm getting ready to do the preliminary update to the text on our Delta 2 Live Cam page and am going to copy the text here for the record, and so I don't accidentally overwrite it before I'm ready to replace it. :%:

Delta 2 Nest Information

There have been eagles in this territory in Delta, British Columbia, not far from the Tsawwassen Ferry, since at least the late 1990s. They initially took over and rebuilt a red tail hawk nest, then nested on high tension power poles for a few years, then moved back to the nest in 2010 and successfully raised two eaglets. A camera was installed for 2011, and as of fall 2021, we have watched as seventeen young eagles were successfully raised here. There have been some challenges – the female broke her left leg in February 2014, probably while defending her territory against another eagle, and even though she could barely put any weight on that leg, she and her partner produced two fertile eggs and both eaglets fledged successfully. It’s now been several years since she broke the leg, and she occasionally favours it slightly, but as of 2019 she seems fine; she laid 3 eggs for the first time in 2020, though only two hatched. Original male Pa Delta disappeared during the 2018 nesting season – and while we still miss him, Trooper has shown himself to be a good partner for Ma and provider for their eaglets. There are other eagle pairs nesting nearby – and the cameras are powerful enough, and the “zoomers” who control them are skilled enough, that we can not only see the resident pair perched on towers guarding their territory – we can sometimes see the neighbours on a further pole, near where the territories meet.

Updates:

Ma Delta and Trooper had a good year and their eaglets Hope and Chase fledged successfully; they all left the territory by July 25. 2021. Ma Delta was seen back in the area on October 7, 2021, and Trooper put in an appearance the next day.

On November 15, 2021, a major wind and rain storm hit the southern half of BC, causing major landslides, roads washed out and flooding all over. At the Delta 2 nest it resulted in a broken tree limb that the WEST cam was attached to. The limb is now only attached to the tree by the straps holding the cam – but the cam has continued streaming although the view is at a slant. We can’t go in to further stabilize things during the nesting season – and so far everything has held through several additional big storms, so we are hoping it will hang in there until the eagles take their usual break next September. You can read more about it and see pictures of the damage on our forum here.

There may be additional changes here – as of February 12, there has not been a confirmed sighting of male Trooper since the morning of Tuesday, February 8; we think Ma Delta is still there, but there’s at least one other adult being seen coming to the nest.

As of mid-March, Ma Delta still hasn’t settled on a new mate. It’s past the time she usually lays eggs – but she laid her first egg March 28 in 2014 (the year she broke her leg and still successfully raised two chicks), so there’s still time.

On March 14, 2022, the West camera and the remains of the branch that broke in November fell to the ground. The good news is that the nest survived, but the camera was destroyed. We are hoping the tree lasts through the summer, but it’s definitely endangered, and there are no other trees large enough for a nest nearby. Ma Delta needs a new nest to raise her future eaglets – and we’ve started a GoFundMe drive to make that happen. Please see more details here – Help Ma Delta Save Her Home – and if you can, please help. Thank you.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:28 pm

(continuing with text from the website)

Nest History

2011-2014

The eagles have laid two eggs every year since we began watching them in 2011. The first year we watched, chicks Oreo and Jet (named by local schoolchildren) both fledged – but older eaglet Oreo took a bit of a detour, falling from the nest when he wasn’t quite old enough to fly and spending some time at O.W.L. (the Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation Society) before taking his first flight. 2012 was a sadder year – older chick Goldwing died when he or she was a little over seven weeks old, but happily younger chick Linux fledged successfully. Only one egg hatched successfully in 2013, and Tux fledged successfully. 2014, the year when the female broke her leg just before the nesting season, both eggs hatched, and Ariel and Hunter fledged successfully.

2015-2017

2015 started normally and the pair laid the usual two eggs, but something disrupted incubation partway through the nesting cycle, and the eggs were often left uncovered, and didn’t hatch; it may have been a bit of a blessing in disguise, as having a longer break away from the nest than usual may have helped the female’s leg to heal. We didn’t think we’d be able to watch the eagles in 2016 – the nest tree was blown down in a windstorm just a couple of weeks before they usually return from their summer break – but happily HWF was able to bring in a lift and climbers, build a nest in a nearby tree where the pair often perched, install two cameras – and have everything ready for the return of the eagles! The eagles accepted the new nest and laid two eggs, both of which hatched; older chick Ace fledged successfully, but sadly Pippen died when he or she was about 6-1/2 weeks old. 2017 was a happier year – the pair laid the usual two eggs, and Spirit and Jewel fledged successfully. As the 2018 nesting season begins, the eagles have returned and are working on their nest – and Ma’s leg is looking great!

2018-2019

The pair laid two eggs in 2018, and both hatched successfully. However, on June 17, when the chicks were about 7 weeks old, Pa Delta disappeared, perhaps as a result of a fight with another male trying to take over the territory. There were intruders in the area, but Ma safely raised Dusk and Dawn to fledging. By the end of the season, there was a male helping to defend the territory, and he seemed to be courting Ma and not threatening the fledglings, and he was named Trooper by forum members. Ma and Trooper both returned for the 2019 nesting season and laid two eggs, and Bella and Coola (named after the community of Bella Coola on the west coast of BC) both fledged successfully.

For the first time since we’ve been watching, Ma laid three eggs in 2020 – which is a tribute not only to her health and strength but also to her belief that Trooper will be able to provide food for a larger family. As it turned out, only two of them hatched; the chicks were named Sunny and Shadow. Older eaglet Sunny had an accidental fledge, slipping from the nest when 81 days old; local observers found Sunny on the ground that evening but weren’t able to catch him/her, and Sunny never returned to the nest. Shadow had a similar accidental fledge a few days later but was able to fly to a nearby tree, and remained in the area with Ma and Trooper for almost another month. An interesting footnote to Sunny’s disappearance – soon afterwards, two eaglets were observed in a nest that was thought to only have one chick, and that nest was in the direction Sunny was heading, so maybe….

2021-

Ma and Trooper produced three eggs again in 2021, and two of them hatched, becoming Hope and Chase (named for communities in British Columbia); both eaglets fledged successfully.

Return to “Delta #2 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”