Delta2 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion Thread

Camera discussion for the Delta2 nest in Delta, British Columbia

Moderator: Delta 2 TA's

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Re: Delta2 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion Thread

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:50 am

10:50 am logging into the cam. No visits to the nest since Jean's last post.
11:02 am logging off the cam. Didn't see anyone out and about.
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:52 pm

1:52 pm logging into the cam for a few minutes. No visits to the nest yet today.
1:58 pm logging off the cam. Didn't see anyone.
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:21 pm

3:21pm.......IN on cam.

No eagles on the rollback.

3:29pm..........Checked around the various points of interest.......No eagles.

We have not seen any eagles in the nest since August 1st, when DM was there. He has not shown up since. Ma has been gone for over a week now. Looks like the migration is on.

3:30pm...I am now OFF the cam.
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:41 pm

When do you expect them back from migration?

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:57 pm

Marilyn wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:41 pm
When do you expect them back from migration?
Hi Marilyn! The time can vary and we do have a new male here with no known history. BUT while it is possible to see one of them at the end of September, Ma usually shows herself in or about the first week in October. Because of the circumstances this year, with a new mate and a nest crumbling, it could also happen that Ma may feel the need to check in earlier rather than later. We will have to wait and see. The year after she lost Pa, Ma did come back a bit sooner than usual.

Here are the dates for Ma, Pa and Trooper upon their returning in the past. Click to enlarge.

1.JPG

Last year 2021.......Ma returned October 7th. Trooper October 8th.
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

Linuxgw2

Post by Linuxgw2 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:21 pm

Good evening,

Well, that time of season.. Our beloved eagles are on thier migration..Now we have the empty nest syndrone..Time to start counting the dry grass peices on the nest to pass the time... Wow, I cant believe I have beem a part of Ma's (Pa, Trooper, now DM ) world for 10 years. A fantastic journey it has been and continues to be.

What a season has unfolded for Ma this year. Not at all what she or we expected our season to go. But as we know it is nature and there are no rules in the world of mother nature..The loss of Trooper- Ma's mate, no eaglets for Ma this year. Ma fighting for her territory.

Our loss of Trooper , his unknown disappearance this season when the their nest area was under attack from so many vying for thier home and Trooper defending his and Ma's home. I believe in my heart , Trooper was chased away, unable to return to Ma for all the males that were around in the area and it wasnt safe for him to return. Once in a while I would swear I would see him around as one of the eagles trying to make his way to the nest but maybe it was a hope in my heart and yet he did not return. I hope he has found a new mate, a new nest to keep on his legacy in his world. Maybe he is one of the other eagles in one of the nests we can barely see across the bay and has taken up a new nest there. we can only wonder.

DM showing up with many other eagles vying for Ma's affection to be her new mate, and the lengthy time it took Ma to decide from the many suiters Ma has decided on the Dashing, very handsome DM as her new mate to carry on her legacy. And I say he has shown what a great provider he will be when their return for he has already taken Mas lead on her teachings and what she expects..Ma knows best...

With Ma's leg injury right before she headed to migration I hope she will continue to heal, her leg doesnt give her too much trouble and she returns to us safely and healthy. I know Ma overcame a broken leg in the past, and I am sure she will overcome her injury again for Ma is a very strong eagle and she knows what she needs to do to try to not reinjure it any more than it is. I must say ,I will worry as others here on this nest of Mas healing and safety while she is on migration..we can only keep the faith and pray all is well and will be well for Ma to return . I think that is the human part of our souls, to worry ..Ma is a survivor.

Thank you to all who have worked the cams, posted scraps and comment updates here on forum on a daily basis to keep all who are watching our Beloved Ma and DM informed of the goings on daily..I cant thank you all enough of your time and dedication..
A huge Thank you to David Hancock for bringing this beautiful nest into our world to be a part of Ma and DMs .

We wait as we do every year for our beautiful eagles to return from migration to us. we again start counting down the days for their return. This year we wait for Ma and DM to return safely to us, and to a new nest that we hope they accept upon their arrival. :luck:

I'll be keeping a eye out for updates on the goings on with the new nest, curious how it will be erected and where it will be placed so Ma and DM will know it is thier nest or looks like thier nest when they left... As well I'll still be watching our empty nest and counting the dry grass stick on the nest to pass the time.. :rh:

Linuxgw2

Linuxgw2

Post by Linuxgw2 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:50 pm

? When the new nest is built, will some of the old nest be put into the platform so in a way it already has Ma n Dm scent so when they return they know this is their home ?

( I’m not sure if eagles leave their scent on a nest while they are building and residing in it.

Linuxgw2

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:58 pm

Thanks Jean! Will the old nest/tree be taken down? I wouldn't want them using such an unstable nest next year. Or building a new nest in that tree. Is it possible that a different eagle gets to the area first and claims the new nest? What would happen then?

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:40 pm

7:33pm........Thanks for your posts Linuxgw2 and Marilyn!

Linuwgw2........ Bald eagles have no sense of smell. Ma and her mate will claim a new nest just as they did when they accepted this current one after the previous one failed a few years ago. This is their territory and the new nest would be built close to the current one. We will have to wait and see what David's plans are for the new nest.

Marilyn.......It makes sense that the old nest would come down, but there is no confirmation of that yet. At this time we are still waiting for the details which David will share with us as we get closer to the event. First we must be sure our eagles are indeed gone.

And as this is Ma's territory (and DM's too now) they would not willingly let other eagles claim it.

(Member since 9/10/11)

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:46 pm

How about leaving the old nest on the ground so they can reuse the materials? I worry about Ma's foot and want to make things easier on her.

Judy Benson

Post by Judy Benson » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:54 pm

Many thanks to the Team who faithfully keep us "in the picture" by their information and zoomer effort throughout the time Ma and now DM are in the Delta territory....Hopes for their safe return in the Fall and their introduction to their new nest....Have a great Summer everyone...!!! :rh:

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:12 pm

8:11pm We expect that DM ( and of course, Ma) has migrated but will keep an eye out tonight just to finish the day off... just in case.

Logging into the cam.
“The eyesight for an eagle is what thought is to a man.”
― Dejan Stojanovic, The Creator

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:50 pm

RoseA wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:12 pm
8:11pm We expect that DM ( and of course, Ma) has migrated but will keep an eye out tonight just to finish the day off... just in case.

Logging into the cam.
Thanks Rose for continuing to keep an eye out for our eagles just in case they are around.......I should emphasize here, to anyone new to the forum, that although we are pretty sure Ma and DM have migrated it is merely a guess based on our minimal view of this nest and area. Our cam operators use their eyes and ears and what we can see with the cam but it isn't a perfect scenario for watching this nest right now. Since our cam has shifted downward we are no longer able to see most of the places they perch. So a bit extra time may be needed just to ensure that what we are guessing at is for sure a fact.

(Member since 9/10/11)

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:21 pm

9:20 Well that's a wrap for this evening. No eagles seen.

Logging off the cam.
“The eyesight for an eagle is what thought is to a man.”
― Dejan Stojanovic, The Creator

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:30 pm

Judy Benson wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:54 pm
Many thanks to the Team who faithfully keep us "in the picture" by their information and zoomer effort throughout the time Ma and now DM are in the Delta territory....Hopes for their safe return in the Fall and their introduction to their new nest....Have a great Summer everyone...!!! :rh:
Thanks Judy Benson

(Member since 9/10/11)

Return to “Delta #2 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”