Camera discussion for the Delta2 nest in Delta, British Columbia

Moderator: Delta 2 TA's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Delta2 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion Thread

Post by JudyB » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:38 pm

6:35 pm
The embedded cams are back!

Big thanks to Ken who was out there for much of the afternoon redoing the wiring so there wouldn't be splices that might cause the cams to fail at really inopportune moments.

Last I knew, he hadn't redone the lines for the infrared lights - that may be a job for another day, since it will be a while before anyone will be spending the night on the nest.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:57 pm

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2022

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:54 pm

12:51 pm
Ken is heading out to Delta to get more of the wires buried and may also have time to hook up the IR light (I think his plan is to only turn one of them on initially - he can turn them on individually from the ground).

He may need to disconnect things briefly while he does all that, so if the cams stop streaming, that's why - and he'll get them back on before too long.

Added -
I checked the dvr back to when it began to get light, and didn't see any eagle-sized visitors. I have noticed a few smaller birds stopping by to look around. I'm not really expecting anyone to be back for another week or two - but we don't know what sort of schedule the new male may be on.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:58 pm

3:37 pm
Ken is back from Delta. He didn't need to un-hook the cams, so they continued streaming while he was out there.

He has hooked up one of the IR lights - we won't know if it's working or not until it gets dark.

He also said that the arborist had been there, and the old nest has been removed from the tree. :D

I think everything is just about ready for Ma Delta and DM! :love:

PS - Not sure if I mentioned - Ken has been going over the cam that was removed from the old nest tree earlier this week, and so far it is not working. He's planning to try taking it apart to see if any of the internal wiring is damaged. He's checked all the usual things that might need repair, and this is a long shot. The cam was installed at Delta 2 in the fall of 2015, when what is now the old nest was built in a hurry after the first nest tree blew down in a windstorm. The two cams had been at another nest in Delta we called Delta 3 - that one didn't attract much interest in the year we had cams there, so it was decided to move them to the much more active Delta 2 nest, making it possible to have the nest and cams ready for the eagles when they returned. The cam was probably bought in the fall of 2014, so is at least 8 years old.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:33 pm

I am so glad to hear that the old nest has been removed! That's really a relief. :D Thanks JudyB. Now just to wait impatiently for MA and DM to return. I'm sure thy will love their new nest.

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:36 pm

Thanks JudyB for letting us know about the nest. Was it just the nest taken down or the whole tree? If the tree was not taken down will that be done too?
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:52 pm

Jean wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:36 pm
Thanks JudyB for letting us know about the nest. Was it just the nest taken down or the whole tree? If the tree was not taken down will that be done too?
I believe that just the nest was taken down, and the plan is to leave the rest of the tree. I won't know how much of the tree is still standing until someone is able to post a few pictures, but at the very least, this gives the eagles the choice between a lovely pre-built nest (with a pile of little branches to place :love: ) and a tree that I think would be quite a challenge to build in.

Linuxgw2

Post by Linuxgw2 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:53 pm

Thank you JudyB for the update on the IR nest cams and the old nest being removed. :luck: the IR cam works.
Indeed one less worry of them goin to the old nest , now Ma n Dm hopefully find their new condo in the sky and what a beauty of a
nest for them to come home to.

I've been watching and waiting to see zoomies on the cams to see how far we can see with these new cams. From past posts I see they do not go out as car and clear as our old cams did. I was hoping the old one on the old nest was working so maybe to install it on the new nest so we had the distance..was so lovely to see the tower eagles and able to see Ma n DM perched on thier favorite posting poles and tower and being able to see the come flying in to the nest from across the field...but we shall see when the zoomies get to start to look around the nest area.

Had to look up my dates when Ma usually returns..And we dont know DM routine so we shall see if he is earlier than ma or later than Ma in returning..couple weeks and counting for their return..

Just how exciting it will be to see one of them land on the nest..oh my gosh....

Linuxgw2

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:08 pm

Linuxgw2 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:53 pm
Thank you JudyB for the update on the IR nest cams and the old nest being removed. :luck: the IR cam works.
Indeed one less worry of them goin to the old nest , now Ma n Dm hopefully find their new condo in the sky and what a beauty of a
nest for them to come home to.

I've been watching and waiting to see zoomies on the cams to see how far we can see with these new cams. From past posts I see they do not go out as car and clear as our old cams did. I was hoping the old one on the old nest was working so maybe to install it on the new nest so we had the distance..was so lovely to see the tower eagles and able to see Ma n DM perched on thier favorite posting poles and tower and being able to see the come flying in to the nest from across the field...but we shall see when the zoomies get to start to look around the nest area.

Had to look up my dates when Ma usually returns..And we dont know DM routine so we shall see if he is earlier than ma or later than Ma in returning..couple weeks and counting for their return..

Just how exciting it will be to see one of them land on the nest..oh my gosh....

Linuxgw2
Isn't it exciting, Linuxgw? I am looking forward to seeing something bigger than a squirrel explore the nest - though it is likely to be a week or two before the adults return, though, as you say, we don't know about DM's schedule.

Unfortunately we had a hard time finding cameras with domes that would mask the movement of the cams, so they don't spook the eagles. And the nest was tucked into the trees near where the original nest tree was located, partly to provide shelter and protection for the chicks, and partly because the Delta 2 site is a working farm, and we couldn't put the post somewhere that it would be in the way of the farm equipment.

So - these cams can see some of the poles, but can't zoom in very far; and other poles and towers we're used to seeing are hidden by the trees. Once the eagles return, we may find some other places to watch them that were blocked from the old nest - or we may mostly see them on the nest, at least for a while.

The cameras are also a different brand from the previous ones, and will require some time to learn - and this is the time of year when most of us who focus on the eagles in BC are taking a break from zooming and reporting - so I expect you'll see more of the territory once there are eagles flying around.

Linuxgw2

Post by Linuxgw2 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:23 pm

JudyB, Thank you so much for your reply to my post..Explains a lot..
I did mean when the zoomies return to zooming we would see how far we can see, I didn't word my thought quite right when posting.

Ma n DM will be home before we know it..Can't wait to hear Ma beautiufl call , music to our ears...

Linuxgw2

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:58 pm

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2022

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

Linuxgw2

Post by Linuxgw2 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:14 am

Good morning Delta,

On this am viewing the nest, it is 5:00 am nest time, no IR night vision, nest is dark... all is quiet...

Linuxgw2

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:31 am

Linuxgw2 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:14 am
Good morning Delta,

On this am viewing the nest, it is 5:00 am nest time, no IR night vision, nest is dark... all is quiet...

Linuxgw2
Good morning, everyone! I got a message from Ken last night noting that the light wasn't working. He's hoping to get out there later today to check it out.

David Hancock and his team have put up a number of pole nests, but this is the first time they've tried one with cameras and lights attached, so a bit of an experiment.

I'm going to log into the cams briefly to take a look around as it starts to get light.

Added - it's at least an hour to sunrise so quite dark, but one can see lights in the distance.
20220923_001.jpg

I'm out of the cams - have a good day, everyone!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:10 am

9:08 am
Some speckled birds visiting the nest this morning!
20220923_002.jpg

I'm quite sure they are not eagles or osprey, but am not very good at identifying other birds.

I checked the dvr back to when it started getting light, and didn't see any eagle activity.

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:08 am

I believe they are young starlings Judy, and they are having a great time on Delta2 :love:
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

Return to “Delta #2 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”