Delta2 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion Thread

Camera discussion for the Delta2 nest in Delta, British Columbia

Moderator: Delta 2 TA's

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Re: Delta2 2021-2022 Observation and Discussion Thread

Post by RoseA » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:51 pm

1:36pm I managed to zoom in a little before the eagle (?) left... if an eagle I'd say a juvenile.
Oct1-Eagle3.jpg
oct1-Eagle4.jpg
“The eyesight for an eagle is what thought is to a man.”
― Dejan Stojanovic, The Creator

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:52 pm

1:51pm logging off the cams.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:57 pm

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2022

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:01 am

8:01 am checked the rollback and didn't see any nest activity last night.
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:40 pm

1:40pm logging into the cams.

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:09 pm

1:57pm this looks like two eagles circling around together to the right of the tower eagles' nest area. Unfortunately, I was looking at them with the E-Cam which is very sluggish and I couldn't zoom in quick enough before they went up and out of view.
Oct2-Eagles1.jpg

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:16 pm

2:16pm logging off the cams.

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:25 pm

Here's a broader view of what can be seen looking out from the new nest pole [backside of stick tree(s)]
Oct2-View.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:06 pm

Hi folks!

I am finding it hard to read the time stamp at the top of the screen, so I tried a few different options on the West cam - please let me know what you think.

This is what it has been - it's set to choose the size automatically, and also to choose whether white or black characters are easier to read in any part of the screen - which means that the letters often are half black and half white:
20221003_006.jpg

(These all click bigger) This is the same size, with red letters (I chose red because there's not much red here - but I could make it almost any color).
20221003_007.jpg

This is red with the font size set as large as possible:
20221003_008.jpg

And this is set to white and also the largest size (more similar to the old cams, but it's a grainier font)
20221003_009.jpg

Please let me know what you think - happy to try other variations, since it is useful to know what time something happens so we can go back on the dvr to see the action.

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:25 pm

JudyB wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:06 pm
Hi folks!

I am finding it hard to read the time stamp at the top of the screen, so I tried a few different options on the West cam - please let me know what you think.

This is what it has been - it's set to choose the size automatically, and also to choose whether white or black characters are easier to read in any part of the screen - which means that the letters often are half black and half white:

20221003_006.jpg

(These all click bigger) This is the same size, with red letters (I chose red because there's not much red here - but I could make it almost any color).

20221003_007.jpg

This is red with the font size set as large as possible:

20221003_008.jpg

And this is set to white and also the largest size (more similar to the old cams, but it's a grainier font)

20221003_009.jpg

Please let me know what you think - happy to try other variations, since it is useful to know what time something happens so we can go back on the dvr to see the action.
Hi Judy

IMO I like the letters all one color but I don't really find red that easy to read... to me the white is easier.

The only other thing I'd add re the font size is if it's at the top of the screen (as we are used to) but at a larger size it can get in the way of when we try to zoom in when looking at the towers (the ones we can see). As you know, we already have the issue of not being able to make them go further in the up position without things going out of view. Since the eagles are usually perched up higher (as opposed to being on the ground) at these places, I'd hate to have lettering get in the way.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:34 pm

Catching up on a few things. MurielAK sent me the two pictures below with the following message "You may or may not want to post these. My first eagles of the fall. They are both in south delta and both about 10 minutes drive away from Ma’s nest."

Muriel, I'm answering your concern about posting these here because others may wonder about this. We do usually focus on our Delta 2 eagles and their nearest neighbors, but I think these pictures are perfectly relevant because (1) they show that the eagles are beginning to return to the Delta area and (2) it's wonderful to see that the power poles in at least part of Delta are now being designed so there's much less chance of eagles being electrocuted while trying to perch!

20221003_010a_muriel.jpg
20221003_011a_muriel.jpg

Thanks for keeping an eye out for the eagles, Muriel - and I'll be in touch with some hints for posting photos. Wonderful to see the eagles returning!

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:42 pm

Hi Judy, as a casual observer at the Delta 2 nest, I agree with Rose on the time stamp; the red lettering is harder to read than the white and being on top, it does interfere with some sightings. Can the time be moved to the bottom? JMO
Marianne
AKA: Marianne

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:05 pm

RoseA wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:25 pm
Hi Judy

IMO I like the letters all one color but I don't really find red that easy to read... to me the white is easier.

The only other thing I'd add re the font size is if it's at the top of the screen (as we are used to) but at a larger size it can get in the way of when we try to zoom in when looking at the towers (the ones we can see). As you know, we already have the issue of not being able to make them go further in the up position without things going out of view. Since the eagles are usually perched up higher (as opposed to being on the ground) at these places, I'd hate to have lettering get in the way.
Thanks, Rose!

So - the text is in two blocks - one with the name of the camera, and the other with the date and time. I cannot make them be at the same height above the border at the bottom - not a clue why - the template looks as if they are - but they are not. I also can't make the left margin the same if I put them one over the other at the bottom. All the info is in the lower left corner - but not properly justified. Ignoring that for the moment - how does this work for you?
20221003_012.jpg

If this seems like an improvement, I'll try to change the East cam to match tomorrow. Or if folks want to suggest a better location, I'll give it a try. :)

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:17 pm

JudyB wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:05 pm
RoseA wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:25 pm
Hi Judy

Thanks, Rose!

So - the text is in two blocks - one with the name of the camera, and the other with the date and time. I cannot make them be at the same height above the border at the bottom - not a clue why - the template looks as if they are - but they are not. I also can't make the left margin the same if I put them one over the other at the bottom. All the info is in the lower left corner - but not properly justified. Ignoring that for the moment - how does this work for you?

20221003_012.jpg

If this seems like an improvement, I'll try to change the East cam to match tomorrow. Or if folks want to suggest a better location, I'll give it a try. :)

Hi Judy
Personally, I like it!!! :D

MurielAK

Post by MurielAK » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:39 pm

I agree with Rose, Judy. The bottom letters are much easier to read!

Return to “Delta #2 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”