Delta2 2020 -2021 Observation and Discussion Thread

Camera discussion for the Delta2 nest in Delta, British Columbia

Moderator: Delta 2 TA's

SueB
Zoomer

Re: Delta2 2020 -2021 Observation and Discussion Thread

Post by SueB » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:49 pm

4:48 pm - okay Jean, I think I saw that you have the cams. I will be back by 5:10 or so, unless another zoomer comes on

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:49 pm

4:48pm........I am IN on both cams now Sue.........thanks!

Ma looks exhausted..........so unusual to see her napping during the day. Must be nervous exhaustion as she didn't just lay the egg. :)
1.JPG
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi, Jean and Sue, I will check back in 30 minutes if another zoomer doesn't come on. What a wonderful afternoon watching the little one make its way out of that shell.
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:52 pm

4:51pm...I guess we don't realize how difficult these things can be for our eagles. But Ma's likely not slept a lot since knowing the eggs was going to hatch...that was late yesterday for us........probably sooner for her.
1.JPG
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:53 pm

Sandy_W wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:50 pm
Hi, Jean and Sue, I will check back in 30 minutes if another zoomer doesn't come on. What a wonderful afternoon watching the little one make its way out of that shell.
Hi Sandy_W! Yes, it has been a long journey for this chick..........quite normal, but seems long for us. Please talk to Sue and figure out who will take the cams..........great to have such reliable zoomers here. I will be off the cams very soon as it is dinner time here.

(Member since 9/10/11)

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:54 pm

I have a question. It has been a while since I watched an eaglet breaking through the shell. I noticed the egg is in many small pieces and no large pieces broke away from the rest of the shell. Not sure about the appropriate name for the inside of the shell which is holding it together but would it not be in the eaglets favor if the shell broke away in larger pieces? Pretty sure I can remember a couple of years ago when there was a similar situation and the poor thing did not make it because of exhaustion.
That is my concern now. Hopefully, the eaglet will make the big push and rid himself or herself from the shell.
then we can let out a sigh of relief and look forward to the next pip.

Ma is grabbing some zzz's. Must be exhausted.

Sandy
Attachments
Delta 2.jpg

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:58 pm

Sandy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:54 pm
I have a question. It has been a while since I watched an eaglet breaking through the shell. I noticed the egg is in many small pieces and no large pieces broke away from the rest of the shell. Not sure about the appropriate name for the inside of the shell which is holding it together but would it not be in the eaglets favor if the shell broke away in larger pieces? Pretty sure I can remember a couple of years ago when there was a similar situation and the poor thing did not make it because of exhaustion.
That is my concern now. Hopefully, the eaglet will make the big push and rid himself or herself from the shell.
then we can let out a sigh of relief and look forward to the next pip.

Ma is grabbing some zzz's. Must be exhausted.

Sandy
Sandy, we are always concerned even when things are going smoothly. I've seen this before and we do worry, but I'm sure it must be like this a lot. It would be great if the shell just cracked in half, but some chicks don't seem to do it that way. I think this shell will likely just fall apart and then the chick will be free of it. I can't help wondering if our adults being so low down on the egg because of this horrid weather today has influenced this somewhat. Just a question on my part.

(Member since 9/10/11)

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:03 pm

Hi Jean

I hope so. Little one worked this hard and deserves a chance.
Oh my word she is just about there...

Sandy

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:07 pm

5:06pm...Wow that chick is almost out of the shell! Should take too much more. We had a good look at it.......the chick is moving well and Ma is seeming to be excited. Sandy, I think this chick will be fine. It looked good and seemed to have lots of energy.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:08 pm

5;08pm........More of the hatching chick.

We can see his wing jutting out here.
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:09 pm

5:08pm......One last s'cap. Ma rolled the chick and the shell and settled down over it all.
7.JPG

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:10 pm

5:09pm......Sandy_W, I see you are here...........I am signing off the cams now. They are yours if you want them.

(Member since 9/10/11)

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:10 pm

Jean, Sue and I talked and I can take the cams. She said she can come back after getting a bite to eat after me and before you come back. Does that make any sense?
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:10 pm

Jean wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:10 pm
5:09pm......Sandy_W, I see you are here...........I am signing off the cams now. They are yours if you want them.
5:10 pm logging into both cams.

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:11 pm

Sandy_W wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:10 pm
Jean, Sue and I talked and I can take the cams. She said she can come back after getting a bite to eat after me and before you come back. Does that make any sense?

Makes perfect sense.......thank you both! I'll be back around 7pm for tuck in time.

I see you have the cams now...........enjoy! I'll bet you catch the little one out of the shell soon! :)

(Member since 9/10/11)

Return to “Delta #2 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”